Salizzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sportscafe

Salizzo

Postby sportscafe » 05 Sep 2008, 01:38

I am trying to find out more about my grandfather. My father was born in Pola in 1933 and was sent to New Zealand as a refugee in 1951. he lost all contact with his family but managed to find his mother and half brothers in Italy about ten years ago. His mother died shortly afterwards and my fatehr passed away last year.

He never knew his father who was killed in abyssinia after he was born. My father was brought up in an orphange and carried the name of his mother ...until he changed it by deed poll to Salizzo...the name of his father.

His father was a military policeman in Pola when my father was born in 1933 and my grandfather was apparently from Benevento but brought up in Sardinia.

Since my fathers passing I have made it my mission to find out more about my grandfather who was named Riccardo Salizzo

Can you help me with advise on how to find a Salizzo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Salizzo

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Sep 2008, 03:34

where are you located in OZ if in that country? =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Sep 2008, 03:44

Plan B since you did not tell me where you reside in OZ (there are about 20 places for Istrians in OZ) please be advised that for birth, death and marriage records older than 1860 the regional archive should be contacted at the Registrara at the Municipal office in Pola (PULA-croatian).

The address is Town Council, Splitska 14, Pula Croatia (their telephone number is 052-371-111 justin case. =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 05 Sep 2008, 09:32

Hello,
since your Riccardo Salizzo was born in Benevento are and died in Abyssinia, I suggest you to contact Onorcaduti, and you will receive documents about when and where he was born, name of father, regiment, and when died, for what reason and where he is buried
Send a specific letter and write only in italian to

MINISTERO DELLA DIFESA
ONORCADUTI
PALAZZO ESERCITO
VIA XX SETTEMBRE 123/A
00187 ROMA - ITALY

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Sep 2008, 11:50

Go to www.mangeruca.com for form letter in Italian for military records. =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 05 Sep 2008, 12:39

Peter, he is not requesting a military record, he is requesting the death file/ record from Ministero della Difesa.
I think if he use that form they do not accept it
I hope it helps
Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Sep 2008, 17:55

Thank you Ricbru for the information. I have researched military records and I was advised that his foglio di congedo illimitatao or Registro di Ruolo also contains details of the man's military service which I presumed to include being killed in action since it covers wounds, medals and campaigns along with other data.

So what is the difference between the death record of the Ministero della Difesa and the regular service record mentioned above if I may ask and if you know. Thank you. =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 06 Sep 2008, 08:33

Peter,
foglio matricolare is a record of the military service that states everything about military life of the ancestor (also many personal details) military record number, name of soldier, name of his parents, place and date of birth, his height, his chest measurement, his color and shape of hair, color of eyes, if able to read and write, skill or occupation, when called for draft, when and where assigned, if deserter, if wounded, if imprisoned by the enemy, if got medals for good actions during battles, and if he died during actions. Sometimes (like great grandfather of my wife) we knew that he died in WWI, and there is not military record about him, so we just found his military death file. Also Onorcaduti tells you where he is buried.

This is a military record
(page 1)
http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... nness6.jpg

(page 2)
http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... nnemy6.jpg

The death record of the Ministero dell Difesa for a soldier who died in War, gives the name, name of father, regiment, when and where born, where and when died and for what reason (in action, for disease, while imprisoned, or missed in action)

Page of death record from Onorcaduti (WWI)

http://img374.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... arejf4.jpg

Detail of death record for soldier died in WWI

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... areoz0.jpg

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Sep 2008, 21:05

Dear Ricbru thank you very much for this additonal information in the event that the "Registro di Ruolo" in its entirety does not convey any information about the possible death or death (as in your case) of a man in military service at the Onorcaduti address you so kindly furnished. Thank you . =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Sep 2008, 21:10

Postscript: Dear Ricbru I had the address for the Onorcaduti listed under Museo Militare at Via XX settembre in Rome but I did not know the Onorcaduti contained all military service deaths. I thought that it related only to soldiers of exceptional merit who died in battle under meritorious situations. =Peter=

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 06 Sep 2008, 21:13

Onorcaduti has all the books stating all the names of italian soldiers died in all the wars.
They contain just some infos about the death soldier, and Onorcaduti also knows where the soldier is buried. Family can not request the cuffin of the relative soldier died in war.
The soldier will stay forever in that cemetery
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 06 Sep 2008, 21:21

Dear Ricbru it certainly does help!! Now if someone wants information about a soldiers death while in Italymilitary service the inquirer can go directly to onorcaduti in Rome. Much obliged. =Peter=

sportscafe

Postby sportscafe » 15 Sep 2008, 01:48

I am based in New Zealand ...my father went from Pola...to a refugee camp in Napoli to New Zealand after the war

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Sep 2008, 03:15

How can we assist you? =Peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 15 Sep 2008, 22:36

Let's see if we can be of assistance.

I have not been able to find a POLA in Italy. It seems Pola is the Italian name for PULA, a city is Istria, Croatia.

Did this city once belong to Italy? Was Sportscafe's father born an Italian citizen in 1933?

The name Salizzo does not appear in Italy today. There is Salizzoni which appears in north of Italy and a town called Carloforte in Sardinia. Can this be a clue?

Sportscafe, what was your grandmother's maiden name? Perhaps that will help us pinpoint your family.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”