Help w/ translation of Italian doc re Filippo Pandiscia?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
paulag

Help w/ translation of Italian doc re Filippo Pandiscia?

Postby paulag » 08 Sep 2008, 15:12

I received the attached three-part document (divided by me to fit under max file size) from the Archivio di Stato of Avellino last week. Filippo Pandiscia is my great, great uncle about whom I have been trying to get confirmation (via official documentation) of his death and any information as to whether he ever married. I would very much appreciate any help in the translation of this document. Its 'fancy' lettering is very difficult for untrained eyes to decipher.

filippopandisciaavellino1.gif is the key part of the document. filippopandisciaavellino3.gif is the bottom of the key part. filippopandisciaavellino4.gif lists the personal characteristics of Filippo, I think.

I will load the official stamp from Avellino in a subsequent post. Thank you for any help you can provide.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help w/ translation of Italian doc re Filippo Pandiscia?

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Sep 2008, 16:04

Dear paulag as you know this is a military record and perhaps if you take it to your local High School language department where Italian is taught or perhaps a nearby Univerisity with a foreign language department you might be able to have it translated easily to you. =Peter=

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 08 Sep 2008, 16:38

Hi Paulag
if you need to know in general what's written then I can tell you. If you need a translation word by word then I have to take a dictionary as I'm not used to translate military terms.
Anyway this is:

Son of Giuseppe

and S. Angelo Rosa

Military District of Avellino

Height m. 1.98 1/2

Colour of skin: red

Hair: chestnut, straight
Eyes: light blue

Peasant

Doesn't read, doesn't write

N. 194 Call up 1879

Lacedonia Adminstrative district of S. Angelo

2nd page

This is a list of dates sayng when he was called up and when moved from a place to another, not very clear.

At the bottom it says:

Died at Civil Hospital in Zara (Dalmatia) with Bronchial pneumonia as reported in the Death Acts Register kept by the Savona Brigade Complementary Battallion.

December 30, 191.... (I think it could be 1917)

Across the page, someone wrote DEAD

Is it good enough?

Ada

Sirena
Elite
Elite

Postby Sirena » 08 Sep 2008, 16:46

As you said, it is very difficult to read but he was the son of Giuseppe and S. Angelo (First name ? Can't decipher) born on the 31 of August in the military district of Avellino. He was 1.87 meters tall, had straight, chestnut hair, light blue eyes, dentadura(?),
no outstanding marks, profession - farmenr, did not read nor write.
It appears that he died in the civil hospital from wounds received in battle. I do not see anything that mentions whether he was married.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 08 Sep 2008, 17:02

Oh yes I forgot his date of birth! Thanks Sirena :D
Dentatura sana, it means his teeth were in good conditions.

There is nothing about being married or not.

He died of bronchial pneumonia.

Ada

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Sep 2008, 20:52

If you wish to obtain more information (if any) you can write to the Ministero Della Difesa, ONORCADUTI, Palazzo Escercito, Via XX Settembre /23A, 00187, Roma, Italy and attach a copy of the death record in your possession for their ready reference. Onorcaduti is a special section for those killed in the line of duty and may have further information than you already possess. =Peter=

paulag

Postby paulag » 09 Sep 2008, 19:08

Thank you all very much for your translation help and your tips. I will definitely follow up on them.

What would you recommend as the best way to confirm that Filippo was never married?

As promised, attached is the official stamp that came with the document from the Archivio di Stato of Avellino.

Again, thank you.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 09 Sep 2008, 20:01

The official stamp doesn't say anything interesting, just states that the attached is a photocopy of the original kept in the Archive and reffering to the rolls or 1879, Avellino . The curious thing is that it's released for "pension use".

Ask the commune of Lacedonia for a Death Act from their register of deaths; there you will see if he was married or not when he died.

Ufficio Anagrafe
Comune di Lacedonia
83046 LACEDONIA (AV)
Italy

Regards Ada

Return to “Italian Genealogy”