Giamcomo Serra

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
snl686

Giamcomo Serra

Postby snl686 » 10 Sep 2008, 06:54

Ciao,
I am travelling to Italy shortly with my Mum and an Italian speaking friend and would really appreciate some advice on the best ways to trace some family history. My mother would like to trace her Italian father and any relatives and we are going to spend a week or so in the area of his birth so any tips would be greatly appreciated.
The details we have are:-

Giamcomo Francesco Dominico Serra
B: 13/01/1894
Savona

His father was Giovanni Serra and his mother was Carolina Columbari we believe but have no information on where they were born.
I thank anyone for their assistance in advance as after reading a few posts in this forum there seems to be an abundance of knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Thanks

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Giamcomo Serra

Postby ricbru » 10 Sep 2008, 08:21

Hello,
I suggest you to go to Ufficio di Stato Civile di Savona, located at address of Corso Italia n. 19, talk to the lady in charge Maura PICCARDO
Below there is the email and opening hours

E-Mail:
dirigente.demografici@comune.savona.it
dirigente.commercio@comune.savona.it

Orari ufficio:

Lunedì 8:30 - 12:45
Martedì 8:30 - 12:45 / 14:30 - 16:45
Mercoledì 8:30 . 12:45
Giovedì 8:30 - 12:45 / 14:30 - 16:45
Venerdì 8:30 - 12:45

Also you can attend the Archivio di Stato di Savona, if your mom wants to know about her dad military record and military draft card

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... ome=SAVONA

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

snl686

Postby snl686 » 10 Sep 2008, 18:00

Thanks Riccardo for fast response!!
Will take your advice, would they also be able to help with finding any possible living relatives still in the area or Italy?
Cheers
Stuart

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 11 Sep 2008, 05:36

You go in the same place, Ufficio di Stato civile, and they will check with Ufficio Anagrafe (Family records office) to check if there is any living descendent of siblings of your mom's dad.
They can issue for you a "Certificato Storico di Famiglia" to know siblings of your ancestors and any of their ancestors.
You will read names, date and place of birth, marriage, death, address where living in Savona and if emigrated
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

snl686

Postby snl686 » 17 Sep 2008, 15:11

Hi Riccardo,
Thanks for your info Maura was such a lovely friendly lady who went out of her way to help us which is very much appreciated. We came to a bit of a dead end while trying to trace a bit further by looking for my great grandfather as he was born in Fossano in 1852 so off we went to the Ufficio di Stato Civile there but they sent us to the Curia Vescovglie as the records are held there for dates before 1860. Unfortunately it was closed and seemed to only open once a week which we would have left Italy by then so any other option open for us?
My great grandfather is :-

Jacque Francois Domenique Serra
B 28/05/1852 in Fossano

My Great grandmother is:-

Charlotte Marie Columbari
B 04/11/1864 in Bologna

Once again thanks for your help it has been fantastic
Cheers
SNL

Return to “Italian Genealogy”