Lastname (cognomi) Panella, Staffano, Compelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rogrocket

Lastname (cognomi) Panella, Staffano, Compelli

Postby rogrocket » 14 Sep 2008, 20:14

My Italian ancestors were from southern Italy, south of Potenza. Some were from a little village called Marsicovetere.

Does anyone have information on the surnames Panella or Staffano. They ended up in the area of Cary, North Carolina and were farmers. At some time, some of them moved to Charlotte, NC and lived on 6th Street. The Staffano name is older than the Panella name in the lineage of grandparents that produced me. The oldest Staffano for which I have a birth date is Rosa who was born 9 Jan 1873. Her mother was possibly a Compelli but I am not sure of that. The oldest Panella is Rosa's husband G. Antonio Panella who was born 16 Dec 1953. I don't when they came to the United States. I am seeking information on Rosa's parents and on G. Antonio's parents.

mille grazie
Stephen (Staffano, Panella, DuLong) Taylor

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Lastname (cognomi) Panella, Staffano, Compelli

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Sep 2008, 21:08

Dear Rogrocket this is a bit tricky since the town is actually called VILLA D'AGRI DI MASCOVETERE Postale 85050 in the Potenza province. Further there does not appear to be any microfilm of any civil records from that town covering births,marriages and deaths which maybe the result of fire,water or war damage to the records but we don't know do we?

Accordingly send an e-mail to the the town at INFO@POVALDAGRI.BASILICATA.IT and ask them whether their Uffico di Stato Civile has records and for what years do they cover.

The website for www.povaldgri.basilicata.it will further explain about the town.

If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname(s) you are interested in and thenbelow put in Villa D'agri di Mascovetere if this does not work then try Mascovetere alone. This happens to be an unusual situation and I will work with you on this. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Sep 2008, 22:38

There are 3 Panella and no Staffano in Mariscovetere. =Peter=

STaylor

Postby STaylor » 24 Feb 2011, 21:57

PeterTimber wrote:There are 3 Panella and no Staffano in Mariscovetere. =Peter=
I don't know what to do with the names of three Panellas. I would be surprised if anyone now would know about my grandfather who left in the late 19th century. I am still wondering how I connect my relatives here with Italy. It is hard to find information even within the United States.

Regardless, thank you for your help.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”