My Trimarco Relatives - is anyone out there?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

My Trimarco Relatives - is anyone out there?

Postby Felitti-Trimarco » 17 Sep 2008, 00:44

Hello,

I'm new to the site. In fact, this is my first message! I've been researching my Italian roots for a few years now. I've gained a lot of experience in genealogy research and had some tremendous success in piecing together my ancestors history. There is one particular area where I have hit a stumbling block and I thought I would post a message here in the event someone out there might be able to help me. I've even hired a professional genealogist for this issue, but she has had limited success in this area (although, she has had spectacular success in others areas!).

I am interested in learning more about my Trimarco ancestors. My great great great grandfather Domenico Trimarco came to the United States in about 1878 or 1879. The only reason I know this date is that I was able to find two turn of the century passports which indicate this. He was born about 1845 according to these documents. I've been unable to find additional information in ships logs. I've searched ancestry.com, castlegarden etc and come up empty handed. I have reason to believe that he came with his son, Vincenzo Trimarco at the same time. He would have been about 10 years old. I believe in 1881 his two other children came to the USA. Their names were Nicoletta and Giovanni Trimarco, and they would have been 11 and 9 (I have been able to find this in the records of ships logs). I believe the mother of the children was named Filomena Basile, but I cannot be 100% sure of this (the death records of all three children do say this however). I find no record of her even in the USA so I suspect she died in Italy. I'm not 100% sure of where this family was from, but passports for the two sons indicate that they were down in Castellucio, Salerno - and one of them specifically says that they were born in the di Galdo province. Family lore from many years later says that my great great grandmother Nicoletta Trimarco (Felitti) had cousins from Buccino. Since hearing that, I've always wondered if her whole family was from this town. I have no way of verifying this.

Domenico Trimarco and his three children settled down in Manhatten. In the 1880's I don't know where they lived, but around 1890 they pop up living in Harlem at 2207 1st Avenue, and in various locations around this address. A scandal soon followed. My to be great great grandfather Pasquale Felitti moved to Harlem from Vietri di Potenza at the age of about 21-22. He was said to be a relative of the Trimarco's (my research indicate he was a second cousin to Nicoletta). Pasquale moved in with Nicoletta and her family after arriving in the United States in 1888. The two must have hit it off because Pasquale and Nicoletta were married June 13th, 1891. Their third daughter Adele Felitti, born in 1899 was my great grandmother. Pasquale was a pharmacist and became a doctor around 1898. He owned a pharmacy at 2222 1st Avenue called the "Farmacia del Vesuvio". He died Christmas day of pneumona (that's another story), 1915, leaving behind his wife and 7 children. His wife Nicoletta managed her finances well and sent all her children to college and other schools. The sad story of Pasquale's death had a happy ending in that his family was able to continue on to do great things after his passing. Nicoletta's father Domenico Trimarco died in 1906 of a stroke. Before his death he owned a small ladies clothing store at 247 Grand St., "Domenico Trimarco - Cloaks and suits". After his death, the store would be run by his two sons, Giovanni "Charlie" Trimarco and Vincenzo Trimarco. The named of the store was changed to "Trimarco Bros." and was opened until sometime in the 1930's. Before Domenico died around 1906, he had been remarried twice. Once to a woman named Margherita De Leo. She died in 1892. He remarried again to Margherita Barbieri, who presumitively outlived him. Domenico may also have had a brother named Vincenzo Trimarco. He also lived at 2207 1st Avenue for a while and may have had at least two children named Antonetta and Domenick. Vincenzo was a barber, who also spent some time working ast Trimarco brothers until his death in 1918. There's much much more to this story, but I digress from my main point".

I have had much success in tracking my Felitti relatives from Vietri di Potenza. I had had almost no luck tracing my Trimarco relatives from Salerno. I am told by professional genealogists that Salerno records are not easilly available. Is this true? Is there no was to track down my relatives? Is there anyone out there who recognizes this story and may be a relative who can tell me more about where my Trimarco relatives came from? Is there any way to search for Italians who may be looking for these same relatives? Ultimately, my goal is to establish whether or not there was an actual familial link between my great great grandparents, Pasquale Felitti and Nicoletta Trimarco. In order to do this, I need more information about her grandparents. We have many genealogy website in the US, such as footnote.com and ancestry.com. Do they have such sites in Italy for italian genealogy? Are their Italain genealogy groups that I might consult in my search?

I am most desperate for information. I welcome any comments and am happy to further discuss this to any capacity. Thanks for reading my message!

best wishes,

KCW

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: My Trimarco Relatives - is anyone out there?

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Sep 2008, 04:26

If you go to www.familysearch.org you will find Nicoletta Trimarco;s marriage to Pasquale Filetti and lists her father as Domenico trimarco and her mother as Filomena Bazilia. They were married on June 13, 1891 in Manhattan NYC.

Further C astelluccio is a "frazione" (a neighborhood or suburb) of the town of Castel San Giorgio, postale 84083 in province of Salerno.

There is more to go since there may be microfilmed records for Castel San Giorgio dating from 1809 to 1900 (usually) at your nearest family history library. WWW.FAMILYSEARCH.ORG for location nearest your home. =Peter=

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 17 Sep 2008, 06:24

Hi KCW,

don't know if you have these documents (from http://www.ancestry.com/search/ ) but it seems Giovanni Trimarco (son of Domenico) was born on September 4, 1871 ...
This is a passport for a trip to Italy issued in 1921:

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Giovanni Trimarco
Name: Giovanni Trimarco
Birth Date: 4 Sep 1871
Birth Place: Salerno, Italy
RESIDENCE: Brooklyn, NY City, NY
Passport Issue Date: 27 May 1921
Father Name: Dominco Trimarco
Father's Birth Location: Italy
Passport Includes a Photo: Y
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

Page 1
[img=http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7649/trimarcogiovannipassporlp1.th.jpg]

Page 2 (Photo)
[img=http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/5388/trimarcogiovannipassporma6.th.jpg]

this is the passport for another Domenico's son, Vincenzo:
He was born in Castelluccio di Galdo in Salerno Province (Campania Region)

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
about Vincenzo Trimarco
Name: Vincenzo Trimarco
Birth Date: 13 Feb 1868
Birth Place: Castelbicis Di Galds Prov Salerno, Italy
RESIDENCE: New York, New York
Passport Issue Date: 27 May 1921
Father Name: Domenico Trimarco
Father's Birth Location: Italy
Father's Residence: Deceased
Passport Includes a Photo: Y
Source: Passport Applications, January 2, 1906 - March 31, 1925 (M1490)

Page 1:
[img=http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3463/trimarcovincenzopassporei6.th.jpg]

Page 2 (Photo):
[img=http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/8059/trimarcovincenzopassportl2.th.jpg]

Laura :)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 17 Sep 2008, 06:44

I did a quick search and I think that Castelluccio di Galdo was an hamlet of a Comune named Galdo degli Alburni in Salerno Province.
This Comune (Galdo degli Alburni) in 1928 was merged with the Comune of Sicignano degli Alburni and became a "fraction" (I apologize about my english, i hope you understand... :cry: )

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galdo_degli_Alburni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicignano_degli_Alburni

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 17 Sep 2008, 07:22

Possible Domenico and son Vincenzo arrival in 1879?

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Deo Crimarco
Name: Deo Crimarco (D.co Crimarco... )
Arrival Date: 15 Nov 1879
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Place of Origin: Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Germanic
Search Ship Database: View the Germanic in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York
Line: 31
Microfilm Serial: M237
Microfilm Roll: M237_421
List Number: 1293
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States

Travelling with son Vincenzo age 10....

[img=http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/4728/trimarcodomenico1879arrun9.th.jpg]

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 17 Sep 2008, 07:43

Possible 1880 census:

1880 United States Federal Census
about Domini Trunai
Name: Domini Trunai ... Trimari?
Home in 1880: New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Birthplace: Ita
Relation to Head of Household: Something other than a direct relationship (Other)
Father's birthplace: Ita
Mother's birthplace: Ita
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:
Blind:
Deaf and dumb:
Otherwise disabled:
Idiotic or insane: View Image

Household Members: Name Age
Jumacy Gassoni 45
Portonia Gassoni 42
Francis Gassoni 11
Frank A. Gassoni 7
Domini Trunai 35 boarder - occupation: Taylor
Victor Trunai 12 son

[img=http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3637/trimarcodomenico1880cennu2.th.jpg]

previous page:
[img=http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2046/trimarcodomenico1880censz0.th.jpg]

:D

Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Felitti-Trimarco » 17 Sep 2008, 18:14

Wow! You guys are amazing. Thanks for the information. I haven't been able to properly comb through it since I'm still at work, but from what I've read it looks very promising.

So are there any genealogy sites in Italy that are the equivalent to ancestry.com or footnote.com? I'm dying to solve this issue and am really hoping to find more information about my Trimarco relatives. I'd love to hear any further ideas on how I might do this. Ultimately, I'd love to find some relatives living in Italy.

Thanks again for everything. Please let me know if you have any additional thoughts or ideas.

THANKS

Conor

Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Postby Marisa6 » 17 Sep 2008, 18:20

Hi Conor

You could maybe try geneanet http://www.geneanet.org/ . Its a French site, but it covers most of Europe. You might find some living relatives researching the same name.

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta

Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Felitti-Trimarco » 17 Sep 2008, 23:35

Hello again!

I finally had a chance to go through all of the messages from my post yesterday. First and foremost, thank you for all of the good information! I had seen the passports before, which are excellent sources of information. They were a good reminder that a wealth of data comes from them. Laura, thank you for the wonderful ideas and images! I think you may be on to something as well. I looked at the 1880 census and the names certainly seem to be similar to the two people I'm looking for. The ages match perfectly. Also, my great great great grandfather Domenico Trimarco was indeed a tailor, as indicated on the census. If I had another census report from the mid 1880's, that might confirm things even more. Does anyone know if there exist any census reports from Manhatten in the mid-1880's, such as around 1885? I have the 1890 police census reports already.

Regarding the ships log which you found Laura (I still don't know how you found that!), I wanted to ask your opinion on a few things. The report you found is has the ship arriving in 1879 in November. The passports I have from ancestry.com for Domenico Trimarco and his son Vincenzo indicate that they arrived in 1878, not 1879. Is this something I should be particularly concerned about? Also, Domenico's passports indicate that he arrived on the "White Star ---- Steamer". Given this information, do you think that the ships log which you found could still be a match. The ages match up, even the month of arrival, but not the year (only off by one year!). Is there any way to search on ancestry.com for a particular ship in a particular year etc? Also, the fact that the two of them (Domenico and Vincenzo) were together and that the ages were correct does show some promise I think. Also, Domenico's passport does indicate that he left from liverpool. What do you guys think?

Thanks so much for all of the help. This website is fantastic!

Conor

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 18 Sep 2008, 07:28

Hi Conor!! :D

I'm glad to help.... and sometimes me too cant' understand how I'm able to find "impossible" documents... :mrgreen:

So, I'll try to answer some of your questions....

The passport for Giovanni and Vincenzo Trimarco were issued in 1921, well, 42 years after the first arrival of these men's father Domenico and son Vincenzo... At that times most of the declarations (especially on the censuses manifests) were done only by memory, so it's normal find discrepancies (in the birth year, in the immigration year... very often the immigrants made them younger).
This is why I think that the 1879 arrival manifest is correct.

The White star Line was the name of a shipping Company, owner also of the Titanic:

For the rest of the 19th century the White Star Line would own such famous ships as Britannic (I), Germanic, Teutonic and Majestic (I). Several of these ships would eventually take the Blue Riband, awarded to the fastest ship to make the Atlantic crossing.

So, this is another confirmation. :!:

Unfortunately, here in Italy we don't have sites as Ancestry.com or Footnote.... We have (as you in U.S.) Family History Centers where we can search in the Microfilms but unfortunately the Mormons didn't filmed the records in Sicignano or Galdo degli Alburni but you can write to:

Comune di Sicignano degli Alburni
Uffico di Stato civile
Via M. Pagano, 1

84029 Sicignano degli Alburni SA

asking for "estratto dell'atto di Nascita" for the Trimarco's born after 1866... in these acts you can find their parents names and ages ...

here you can find help to write letters in Italy:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... talian.ASP

If you need other help please write here! Everybody here is happy to help...

Laura :)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 18 Sep 2008, 08:21

I found this other record on Ancestry.com:

New York Port, Ship Images, 1851-1891
about Deo Crimarco
Name: Deo Crimarco (Domenico Trimarco)
Arrival Date: 15 Nov 1879
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Ship route: Liverpool-Queenstown-NY; Southampton-Cherbourg-NY
Port of Arrival: New York, United States
Ship Name: Germanic
Ship built: 1874
Shipping Line: White Star Line
Ship tonnage: 5,008 tons; 455' x 45'
Ship Description: 4 masts, 2 funnels

Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Felitti-Trimarco » 18 Sep 2008, 12:40

Hi Laura,

You're fantastic! This is information I've been seeking for quite some time. I also found two passports for my ggggrandather Domenico Trimarco. The first one lists November of 1878 as the arrival while the second one lists October of 1879 as the arrival. This adds more confirmation that he was likely guessing at the date he arrived. I always figured that it was a date one would never forget, like a birthday, but as I've seen here and as you've explained, immigrants often entered incorrect dates on documents. I feel confident that you identified the correct ships log. Also, I believe the 1880 census you uncovered is also correct. Do you know if there are any Manhattan census reports from the mid-1880's? I have the 1890 police census results, but any records from between 1880 and 1890 would be really useful. I wasn't able to find any information online about this and thought I would ask you.

Thanks again for all of your help Laura. You're fantastic! Any other insites would be welcome as well.

THANKS

- Conor

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 18 Sep 2008, 12:50

You're welcome Conor!
I like doing these kind of researches... :D
About a possible Manhattan Census for those year I don't think it exist .... maybe some U.S. member can know and help better...
I find vey helpful the city directories...
You know Footnote... I saw there are several records about Trimarco in the Directories of New York and some about the Naturalization documents... If you have the subscription you can give a look there.

And please let us know your progresses...

Laura :D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 18 Sep 2008, 12:58

Dear Conor Go to the Genealogical Research at the NY Public Library at www.nypl.org/research/chss/lhg/research.html =Peter=

steinbergs

Postby steinbergs » 17 Oct 2008, 08:55

There was a Antonio Trimarco born in Vietri in 1888.
Parents were not from the village.
F Carlo Trimarco
M Lucrezia Caso

Return to “Italian Genealogy”