East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hello again,

I'm looking for anyone out there who may have had Italian immigrant relatives or ancestors living in East Harlem from 1880 - 1950 (to present even). I had family living at the corner of E 114th and 1st Avenue. My great great grandfather was Pasquale Felitti. He was a physician and pharmacist (originally from Vietri di Potenza) until his death in 1915 from complications due to pneumonia and diabetes. Pasquale and his wife Nicoletta had 7 children. They also owned a tenement at the corner of E 114th and 1st Avenue. On the ground floor of the tenement was their pharmacy, "Farmacia del Vesuvio", address 2222 1st Avenue, NY NY.

I'm curious to know if there is anyone out there who may have heard of this family, or may have photos from there own collection which might include this family or locations around E 114th & 1st Avenue during the time they were living. I have many photos myself, but am always interested in others. I'd be interested in hearing any stories or anecdotes from this particular area.

I know this is a long shot, but my luck with this site thus far has been excellent, so I thought I would throw it out there.

THANKS!

KCW
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: East Harlem - 114th St. & 1st Avenue

Post by PeterTimber »

You can obtain a photograph of the building you mention since in 1939 NYC photographed every taxpaying building inthe 5 boroughs. They charge!

Go to www.nyc.gov/html/records/home.html =Peter=
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the info. I've ordered several tax photos from the NY Department of records. Regretably, the archives do not have a photo of the building in question. I have had some considerable luck searching the NYPL however, finding several excellent photos of the neighborhood during the feast of Mt. Carmel. Recently, through a very convoluted path, I managed to meet someone on ancestry.com who had a photo of my great great grandfather Pasquale Felitti along with one of their relatives. Ever since then I've held out hope that there may be other photos out there.

- Conor
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

The New York Public Library online digital archive you mentioned has one at
http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... col_id=219
Enter "114th" (without the quote marks) and a series of old photos will come up for the area.

I believe this link shows the pharmacy and building at 2222. The link is a bit long and hopefully it will work. Otherwise, just scroll through the photos (itis number 22 in the list). I (hopefully) have attached a small copy of the photo -- you can enlarge the photo, but my office firewall will not let the enlarging software from the site run. There is a plug-in for your computer that works a lot better than just the pan and zoom enlarger.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigi ... 108&pos=22

Sal
www.trentinoheriage.com

PS - my grandfather lived at 106th and 1st in the early 1900s.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, this is the pharmacy in question. Thanks for posting the photo. I actually have seen it before. The NYPL has many excellent photos of the pharmacy. The photo shows it on the far right, although only part of the sign is showing. It was right on the corner of E 114th and 1st Ave. If you zoom in closely, you can make out the letters on the window "Dr. P Felitti" etc etc.

I'm hoping more people will read this thread and someone might recognize this place or my family (Nicoletta Felitti and family). With any luck they'll have some photos and stories of their own to share.

Thanks again for posting the photo!

Cara Harlem,

KCW
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi KCW,

I grew up on 116th & 1st Ave, & I went to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel church & grammar school, 1960s-1970s. My parents & my grandparents were married at OLMC, and I made all my Catholic sacraments there as well.

My mother's family was also from East Harlem, since their emigration from Italy in the early 1900s. I can ask them if they know anything about the Felitti family or Farmacia del Vesuvio, as they lived for many years right on 114th St & 1st Ave.

My family's surnames are CAPORALE & SQUILLANTE, if that rings any bells for you & your family.

You might want to contact Our Lady of Mt Carmel church, on E. 115th St, to ask about your family's connection to the parish.

If there's any help I can offer, please don't hesitate to ask.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Hi there! So nice to meet you and for you to post on my thread. Yes, I would be most interested to learn if anyone from your family had heard of the Felitti's of East 114th (and Farmacia del Vesuvio, 2222 1st Avenue). My great great grandmother Nicoletta Trimarco Felitti did take her family to Mount Carmel. I've been to the neighborhood many times and have seen the beautiful church. I had meant to attend the Feast of Mount Carmel this summer but could not get time off from school (currently a third year medical student on rotations). I have a tape of my great grandmother Adele Felitti DeSanctis (who grew up on E 114th) discussing the Feast and attending the church in the early 1900's.

Again, so nice to meet you! I look forward hearing more from you and any others with stories, pictures, etc.

Cara Harlem,

KCW
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi KCW,

You may want to ctc the church itself, to see if they have any baptismal/death/marriage records for your family. Would be a great way to put leaves on your family tree, so to speak!

I'll ask my relatives about your family names & the pharmacy, I hope they'll have some anecdotes to share. FYI, my mother went to the OLMC feast only a few weeks ago...they still have it after all these years, even though there are very few Italians left in the neighborhood. Many, like her, come back annually, just for the feast itself.

My grandfather had a clam stand at this feast for many, many years....1940s- late 1960s.

If you go to YouTube & do a search on "Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Manhattan", there are a couple of videos of past feasts, along with the "O' Giglio"...the lifting of the very tall wooden tower with the statue of the Madonna or St Anthony at the top.

This is a very Neapolitan-area tradition, practiced at the several Mt Carmel churches that exist in NYC (East Harlem, Bklyn, Queens & The Bronx).
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Hi again Raymo!

Great to hear from you again. I didn't know that those videos existed on youtube. I'll be sure to check them out. I had really wanted to get to the Feast this year. My schedule wouldn't allow me to make it but I'm dying to go next year. Let me know if your family has any stories, pictures, recollections of my Felitti relatives and the pharmacy. With any luck they will! Even if they don't, it's great meeting people from the area. Your advice on checking with the church is a great idea as well. Putting leaves on the tree is always a good thing!

THANKS!

KCW

PS. If you like, I can send you what photos I do have of the area (new and old). I also have some recent photos of the church as well if you'd like to see them.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Any East Harlem-ers past and present out there? Would love to hear from you!

- KCW :)
Born_in_East_Harlem

Post by Born_in_East_Harlem »

Hello Felitti-Trimarco,

I too was born in East Harlem. If you are interested in sharing memories, pictures, talking with other East Harlem people, the site to go to is theoldneighborhoodonline.com. There is a photo section, a discussion section, a live chat feature, guestbook sign in, and much, much, more. Lots of people go there to share memories and stories. The Discussion section is loaded with different topics. You may find that site to be just what you're looking for. I hope this was helpful to you.
ftretta

Post by ftretta »

My father grew up at 155 E. 110 Street which is just off of Lexington, born in 1921. His father and mother lived there prior to that, both from the old country. Our surname is Tretta. Prior to that, around 1910, they lived at 319 E 105 st
Eleven
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Eleven »

I believe I also had family living there. My grandfather, Antonio Di Battista arrived in 1901. His father was here the year before. On Antonio's ship manifest is this address. 242 E. 114th Street.

His future wife came the following year, in 1902. She lived with her brother and family, until they married. They lived at 205 E. 115th. Street.

They were both from Rionero in Vulture.

Is that anywhere near the pharmacy? I have no photos or anything. I am going to now take a look at the above posted link.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Hello again! Just curious to revive this old thread and hoping to hear from those who had Italian relatives from East Harlem, NY between 1880 - 1950. My great great grandmother Nicoletta Felitti lived on East 114th St. near 1st Avenue (She died in 1950, and had lived in the neighborhood for over 60 years). Her husband (Dr. Pasquale Felitti) was a neighborhood doctor, but died in 1915 from pneumonia complicated by diabetes. Always interested in hearing from those from the neighborhood and love sharing stories and old photos!
TrafficDiva

Post by TrafficDiva »

Hello! Just wanted to throw my 2 cents into the ring :D My ancestors lived in East Harlem from about 1899 through 1930. They moved around a few times but they stayed close to E 116th St. I'd have to look at my notes for the exact addresses. My surnames are Lanzetta, De Paolo, Landi and Picarello ..

TrafficDiva