Help with Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mregione

Help with Name

Postby mregione » 20 Sep 2008, 22:57

I am trying to find out history of family name but internet search is not helping. The family name is Regione, immigrated in early 1900's. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help with Name

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Sep 2008, 23:01

Please clairfy do you mean genealogy of the family members in Italy and USA or do you mean the origin of the family name Regione and nothing else? Your use of the word History throws me off. =Peter=

mregione

Postby mregione » 20 Sep 2008, 23:03

I was kind of looking for both. I don't know where the family immigrated from in Italy and was just curious on origin of name also.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Sep 2008, 23:21

The Italian surname dictionary has no listing for Regione as an italian surname signifying it is either local in origin and/or impoorted from abroad. There are only about 5 towns in all of Italy having persons surnamed Regione and about 2 are located in Campania region. 1 in Calabria and 1 in Puglia regions. Go to www.gens.labo.net and put in regione in the upper left for this distribution.

Go to www.Paginebianche.it which is a telephone directroy and put in Regione in the first line and Campania in the second line and clcik CERCA. Do the same for Puglia and Calabria. Since these names all appear to be in the same part of southern Italy add Basilicata forany other Regione as well. If you go to the www.ellisisland.org you will find there are 13 Italians who immigrated to the USA having the surname Regione and all from this same area of Italy. You can read the ships manifest for any additonalinformation.

If you happen to come across the town of origin from where your relatives immigrated from tot eh USA youcan then obtain documents of births,marriages and deaths in those towns dating back to 1809 in most cases. Please let us know what the name of this town of origin is and what you wish to know about your family and the town. =Peter=

mregione

Postby mregione » 20 Sep 2008, 23:23

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can find out. I appreciate it.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Sep 2008, 23:26

Postscript: I did a quick check and only found in the four regions only 2 persons surnamed REGIONE in the Campania region the rest being agencies and business of one type or another. so Just go to Campania. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 21 Sep 2008, 04:54

Have you located all US records? If not,
can you provide the full names of the immigrant ancestors, birthdates or year, US state/city in which they lived, and any known relatives/ or children?

It may be possible to find US records which will reveal the town of origin in Italy.

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Italian Genealogy”