Looking for Ascoli in Carrara

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taltosvt

Looking for Ascoli in Carrara

Postby taltosvt » 22 Sep 2008, 01:57

Hi all, new member here.

I'm attempting to do some research into my wife's family. In particular, I am looking for information on Corrado Gustavo Ascoli, born 14 July 1888, in Carrara, Italy. The passenger manifest for the S.S. Cretic on 8 December 1920 lists his father, Gustavo Ascoli of Massacarrara as his nearest relative in Italy. According to my wife, Corrado married Leah Costa, though the passenger manifest lists her as Corina Costa. Her birth place is also listed as Carrara. Also listed on the manifest is their daughter, Dese, born 1919, who my wife knows as Aunt Daisy.

Any information, or thoughts on where to begin looking would be appreciated. This is my first leap into looking for anyone outside of the United States.

Thanks in advance,

-Elroy

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Ascoli in Carrara

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Sep 2008, 02:41

If you wish to conduct your own genealogy and enjoy the research then go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom.

When the screen appears clickon Learn How to do Italian Genealogy Research. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Sep 2008, 02:45

Type in the website using the Http://

then type in angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 22 Sep 2008, 05:19

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!

The Lds has several informative and helpful articles regarding research in Italy.....

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... eTab=Title

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 22 Sep 2008, 05:28

Have you explored the possibility of using microfilm, which can be rented thru the Lds?

To see if the town of interest has been filmed, enter the name of the town,
and in part of, Italy:

Catalog

Peter can recommend an excellent book to use for this purpose......
as the name escapes me at the moment!!!

wldspirit

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Sep 2008, 12:47

The companio book for viewing the microfilm is Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and bnring along a magnifying glass. =Peter=-

raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Postby raymo » 22 Sep 2008, 16:57

Hi Elroy,

Welcome to the forum!

My surname is ASCOLI as well, but my family is from Alcamo, in Sicily, not Carrara, and since I do not recognize your wife's ancestor's names, I do not think there would be a direct connection with my family.

However, I have been in contact with other Ascolis around the world, and have forwarded to them the link to your posting here.

I think some of them have Ascoli ancestry that traces back to the Carrara region, which may be linked to the ancestors you're researching.

There are actually quite a few families, in England, France, Germany, Australia, US, Canada, Brazil, Guatemala, Argentina in addition to our native Italy.

By any chance, were your wife's Ascoli ancestors Jewish? The other Ascolis I've been in touch with are almost all Jewish, or descended from Jewish Ascolis.

taltosvt

Postby taltosvt » 22 Sep 2008, 18:59

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions. I'll look into the microfiche. The book that Peter recommended is actually already on my reading list, so it's good to know it is recommended.

raymo wrote:By any chance, were your wife's Ascoli ancestors Jewish? The other Ascolis I've been in touch with are almost all Jewish, or descended from Jewish Ascolis.

As far as I know, they are all Catholic. My wife's family doesn't have much information past her great grandfather though. Apparently the older generation wasn't really willing to talk about their past, and now that they are gone, the younger generations are wondering where they came from. My research turned up the passenger manifest for the ship they sailed to America on, which was more than the family had before, but I'd love to be able to help them find more if possible.

Thanks again for the help,

-Elroy

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 23 Sep 2008, 07:16

If it helps......
Corrado confirms on WW2 draft registration, that his birthplace is
Carrara, he was born on July 14, 1888.....although census of 1930 list year as 1890, he list his wife Lea as nearest relative.
From the 1930 census, he has applied for citizenship, he and his wife were married at ages 24 and 22:

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Corrado Ascoli
Home in 1930: West Rutland, Rutland, Vermont
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Lea
Race: White

Age at first marriage:
His - 24
Hers - 22

Household Members:
Name Age
Corrado Ascoli 40 Birthplace Italy
Lea Ascoli 38 Birthplace Italy
Daisy Ascoli 10 Birthplace Italy
Helen Ascoli 8 Birthplace Vermont
Olga Ascoli 6 Birthplace Vermont
Thomas Ascoli 4 4/12 Birthplace Vermont

In addition to checking for films, I would also check for naturalization papers in the state of Vermont, and pull vital records on all family members. May give you further leads to follow when researching the films.

wldspirit

Return to “Italian Genealogy”