For beginners, How to go about finding family?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nickyras

For beginners, How to go about finding family?

Postby nickyras » 24 Sep 2008, 12:30

I wanted to start a thread about how people have gone about their searches for family in Italy. Have you contacted hall of records used a particular website etc. What are some good tips for those of use who are just beginning anything we should be doing post here.
Nicholas Racioppi
New Jersey

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: For beginners, How to go about finding family?

Postby PeterTimber » 24 Sep 2008, 12:49

For beginners may I suggest that you go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom

When this screen comes up you will find the "freely Learn How to Do Italian Genealogy Research the most valuable. =Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 24 Sep 2008, 18:04

I assume you are looking for living relatives in Italy? If so much will depend on what kind of information you have for Italy. If you have a name try www.paginebianche.it which is the Italian telephone book. You should look for persons with the same first names as those that run in your family to begin with.
If your ancestors left only sisters in Italy when they emigrated then a more intense search will be needed for the birth certificates of these siblings which MAY tell you who they married. Good Luck.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 25 Sep 2008, 07:04

There is also some great material available from the www.familysearch.org site which should not be overlooked. The research guides are amazing, especially if you have never researched Italian records before.

Here are some links to a few that you may find helpful:

Italy Research Outline

Italy Civil Registration Birth 1809-1865

[url=http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/RG/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=36580_Italy_Finding_Ancestor.asp] Finding Records of Your Ancestors in Italy
1809 to 1910[/url]

And there are so many more in the index located here..

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/ ... eTab=Title

Don't forget to check out Cyndi's List either. She has the most comprehensive genealogy index on the net. There are many books available as well, although many are out of print and may only be available online. I currently have a nice little collection going.

And lastly..before researching overseas, its best to have all your North American (or English, Australian, etc) research done first. Always best to work backwards starting with yourself.

Hope this helps. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

mmet67
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mmet67 » 30 Sep 2008, 19:39

I need help. I am trying to establish dual citizenship with Italy. I need to write to the Comuni of Collepietro and Navelli to get a legal copy of my grandparent's birth records. They were married in the US and became citizens of the US, so the birth records is all I need. I have looked at a number of websites with example letters on them, but I am confused. If there is anyone that could write the letter for me and email it to me, then I could type it out and send it. This would have to be a free service for me, though. Email me at scimet@yahoo.com and I will send you the information you need.

Thank you in advance,
Maria

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 30 Sep 2008, 19:51

Go to www.mangeruca.com for form letters in Italian to rquest documents from the UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE is both Collepietro and Navelli (Postale 67020 for both) in Aquila proinvce, Abruzzo, Italy. Request a PLURILINGUE copy of the brith records. The service is free but you should enclose a self addressed envelope with $5.00s ince research for the clerks is an end of day duty and are poorly paid. Normal wait time is 6-8 weeks. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”