Searching for information on a Grandfather I never knew

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
snowbunny4444

Post by snowbunny4444 »

I am looking for information on a Louis Castanza. He was from Catanzaro. He came to America I believe in the early 1900\'s. I only know names of three children Rose, Joseph and June (my mother) he had 9 all together, my mother was the youngest.
<BR>
<BR>Long story short, he moved up to Hudson, NY from I believe Newark, NJ for a brief separation from his wife, hence my mother being born in 1946, he died shortly after that.
<BR>
<BR>Can anyone help me?
<BR>
<BR>Thank you
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are three Luigi Castanza in the lis island record and all three are from Sicily. Are you sure the spelling is correct and could not your grandfathers name be COSTANZA in stead of CAstanza?? Furthermore, if he were born in Catanzaro was that the city or some small viallge in the provinceof Catanzaro?Were any of his children born in Italy.? Did you grandmother marry him here ,come from Italy and came later or with him????? Did you check out the social security death index at www.ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com for his date of birth since you know when he died. Way over to the right under the column SS-5 you can send in a form letter requesting a copy of his original application which will contain his vital staitsitcs lkike place of birth and his parents names (your GGrandparents). Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Since he died before 1963 there would be no social security record. Plerase forgive my error. You may have to see if his birthdate or birth year is recorded somewhere. Also try to find him in the www.ellisisland.org website under either spelling since you say he came from Catanzaro and not Sicily. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Since he died before 1963 there would be no social security record. Plerase forgive my error. You may have to see if his birthdate or birth year is recorded somewhere. Also try to find him in the www.ellisisland.org website under either spelling since you say he came from Catanzaro and not Sicily. Peter
snowbunny4444

Post by snowbunny4444 »

I am pretty sure of the spelling is with an a, not an o. I met one of my uncles years ago, since then I can not locate him.
<BR>
<BR>As far as I know he had no children in Italy. He had 8 children with his wife. The 9th came from my grandmother, they were never married, my mother was a \"love child\". He had an Italian Restaurant in Hudson, NY and then went back to Newark NJ, where he then passed away. I figure he had to be in his 50\'s. My grandmother was 45 when she had my mother.
<BR>
<BR>Years ago I met a man, who has since passed that came over with him and said they were froma small village in Itlay called Catanzaro.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

while there is a record for 55 persons who immigrated into the USA in the early 1900\'s as CASTANZA, there is no longer anyone in Italy with that surname. Consequently there is no way to dtermine if there is a village or town near the city of Catanzaro that would have that surname. If you insist that the city of Catanzaro is the place of birth then you will have to write to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune di Catanzaro, 88100, Calabria. BUT>>>bear in mind there are 5 other towns with Catanzaro as part of their name int eh province of Catanzaro. When and if you write for document you need a date of birth or a year of birth as well as a full name and write in Italian. including a self addressed envelope and $5.00 for stamps and such. go to www.italianancestry.com for form letters in ZItalian (part 3). Peter