searching for Caruso and Petrarca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

searching for Caruso and Petrarca

Postby Joan Caruso-Alessi » 25 Aug 2003, 18:37

So far, my cousin and I have been able to trace back to our great
grandparents in Castel di Sangro.

Fierangello Petrarca and Maria (Piscitani). Their children were
Eduardo, Leonardo, William, Emilia, Giulia and Genevra(b-1893-my
grandmother) Leonardo and William remained in Castel di Sangro along
with their parents, the rest emigrated to the United States in the
early 1900's. Maria died in 1908 and Fierangello remarried Lucia
Vecchione. They had 3 daughters Elena and Nina who remained in Italy,
and Denia who emigrated to the US.

Salvatore(b-1866) and Philomena(b-1867) Caruso also emigrated to the US in the 1890's with their son Emidio(b-1887--my grandfather). We know that Salvatore had a brother Nicola who also moved here--but we can't seem to find any information on their parents or other siblings.

Basically, we're at a standstill. A couple of novices who really don't
know where to go from here to find information on those remaining in
Italy. Are there any internet sites where we can find more
information, or do we need to write to Italy? Does anyone know any
remaining Petrarca's or Caruso's from that family? Any help would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you--Joan
Joan Caruso-Alessi

Postby ptimber » 25 Aug 2003, 19:08

You give wonderful information about your family but are vague as to what you want to know couching it in terms that do not enable me to refer you to appropriate websites or address. I would think that if you took the time to read the home website and perhaps read the book Italian genealogical record by Trafford R. Cole (barnes & Noble, library etc) you would become familiar with italian genealogy. However in the interests of speeding you along. You obviously know abouit ellis island records and that will give you year of birth, p;lace of birth and other useful information. Since you know the town you can look for relatives bearing the surnames you are interested in by going to www.paginebianche.it and insert the surnamer in the first line and the town of origin in the third line and clicking CERCA for the listing(s) by name,address and terlephone number. Lastly if you are seeking documents you can write to the Ufficio di Stato Civile in the town (comune ) of orign inserting a request in Italian language (You do not say if you speak,read or write so I presume you all studied Italian in High school) if not I will give you form letter website if you wish amnd request documents you angt by name and birth year. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 25 Aug 2003, 19:14

Castel di Sangro has a postal code of 67062, in the province of Aquila, Abruzzo. When writing for documents include a self addressed enveloppe and either send postal coupon ($5.00) service is free but suggested by Mormons) or just send some money if you wish to take a chance.While I am at it I will give you the website for the form letters in the Italian language since there may be a slim chance you don't know the italian language..Go to ww.circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby Joan Caruso-Alessi » 28 Aug 2003, 00:59

Peter,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the only Italian I speak should never be spoken in public!

Basically, what we're trying to find is siblings of our great grandparents--so I'm assuming we'll have to start writing letters. I'll be going to the Mormon Church Research Center in our area next week to see if I can get any info there. Thanks for your reply, Joan
Joan Caruso-Alessi

Postby ptimber » 28 Aug 2003, 01:23

I am not aware if the Aquila province was part of the Kingdom of Two Sicilies when civil records dated back to 1800 or was part of the unified Italy when civil records began in 1872. Just toi keep this in mind when writing. You may wish to request a Certificato di Stato di Fam,iglia with the name of the head of family which wiull give you the members of that immediate family. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy