surname search database

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

surname search database

Postby legnoduro » 07 Oct 2008, 04:13

Ciao a tutti,
Is there a surname database that would show if an Italian surname is originally Italian and how old the name is. As an example, one of the surnames I am researching is Maffucci. I know that it is a very common name in Calitri, Avelino, but is its origin Italian and how far back can it be traced.

Thank you,
Legnoduro

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: surname search database

Postby elba » 07 Oct 2008, 08:03

MAFFI
MAFFINI
MAFFUCCI
MAFFUCCIO
Maffi è tipicamente lombardo e del piacentino, Maffini sembrerebbe specifico del piacentino e del vicino parmense, Maffucci ha un nucleo nell'avellinese e nelle aree vicine del foggiano, del napoletano e del salernitano, ha un ceppo nel romano ed uno nel pistoiese, Maffuccio, molto raro, è del romano, dovrebbero tutti derivare, direttamente o tramite ipocoristici, dal nome Maffo a sua volta derivato dal nome medioevale Maffia ( vedi Maffia) tracce di queste cognominizzazioni le troviamo a Grosio (SO) nella seconda metà del 1400 con il Notaio Michele del Maffo ivi operante all'epoca.

Translation:
..... Maffucci has a nucleus in the Avellino region, in the area near to Foggia, in the Naples area and that of Salerno, it has a branch in the Rome area and in the Pistoia region.... Maffuccio, very rare, is from the Roman area, they would all derive directly or via **hypocoristical use, from the name Maffo in it's turn derived from the medioeval name Maffia, traces of this use of surnames can be found at Grosio (Sondrio region of Lombardy) in the second half of the 1400's with the Notary Michele del Maffo living and working there at that time.

**hypocorism noun a pet-name; a diminutive or abbreviated name, eg 'Libby' as one hypocorism for 'Elizabeth'.
hypocoristic or hypocoristical adj having the nature of a pet-name.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Postby juanminbar » 07 Oct 2008, 22:58

click onto the site listed below and you will access a wealth of information that pertains to the surname...maffucci.

http://www.surnameweb.org/Maffucci/surnames.htm

good luck, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Oct 2008, 23:10

Maffucci is an alteration and derivation oof the base surname MATTEI which stems fromHebrew and Greek. This name is spread thruout Italy and above all in areas where during the middle ages the presence of greek-byzantine influences predfominated. The greek name Maththaios or Maththias which evolved down thru the centuries to Matteo and Mattia as names and then later surnames such as Maffeso, Masseo or Mazzeo and evolving continually.

This is in answer to your question as to the origin of the Maffucci surname.=Peter=

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 08 Oct 2008, 00:37

Thank you for all this information on the surname Maffucci. I have other names I am researching and that was why my original question asked if there is a resource that is available, a database that would confirm if the surname is Italian in origin and when it was first used in Italy. The other names are Mazzei, Di Pasquale, De Luca, Rinaldo, Sereno, Di Cairano and Annunziata. I have been able to trace back to the seventeenth century in Avelino the surname Maffucci and the same for Mazzei in Foggia. The surname database would help me a great deal for my other areas of interest.

Thank you for your continued help!
Legnoduro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Oct 2008, 03:22

You have to see Maffucci along within the context of maffetti,maffini,maffina, maffucci mafucci,maffioli maffioletti,maffezzoli,maffiotti,maffulli,maffioni,madffioni,maffione,maffone,maffezzoni,maffettone,mazzella, mazzili,mazziotti,mazziotto, mazzullo. When you see Maffucci in its proper place amongst variations, alterations, deviations and abbreviation you can appreciate its beginnings in the ancient world of Greek and Jewish history based upon a first name Mattei. To talk about Maffucci as a singularity is rather pointless but as a surname it does have an emotional component. =Peter=

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 08 Oct 2008, 12:47

PeterTimber,
Thank you for the perspective. This is exactly what I am looking for. I would like to continue with this kind of research but for the other names I mentioned in my previous post. I can appreciate the roots of the modern name with its relationship to antiquity and am eager to see where the foundations of the other surnames began. Is there a database somewhere that reveals this information?

Legnoduro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Oct 2008, 13:24

can you read Italian? =Peter=

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 08 Oct 2008, 13:34

Sì, posso.

Legnoduro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Oct 2008, 13:36

Book by mondadori press. Dizionario dei cognomi Italiani by Emidio De Felice. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 08 Oct 2008, 19:40

Peter, does this book contain information on the following surnames:

Cupi
Grifoni
Michi
Rappetti
Ciddio
Dorelle

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Oct 2008, 20:44

With pleasure: Michi is abbreviation for base surname Micheli and Rapetti is a surname developed from a job title with variations and alterations from the edible green plant "Rapa" or similar plants or places and activities connected with the Rapa plant;Rapa being the base surname.

There is no record for Cupi, Grifoni or Ciddio.....local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 08 Oct 2008, 21:44

Thank you very much Peter!! :D
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

legnoduro
Veteran
Veteran

Postby legnoduro » 08 Oct 2008, 21:57

Ciao Peter,
I am having difficulty finding a copy of the De Felice book. I am also searching ebay for a copy. If you have some time, would you mind telling me if the names Di Pasquale, Sereno, De Luca, Mazzei are listed.

Thank you very much for your effort,
Legnoduro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Oct 2008, 22:22

Try Mondadori press in the USA, Amazon or even borrow book from your public library.

Di Pasquale is not listed
Sereno is listed as derivation of Sereni from personal name during Roman imperial period.
De Luca is listed based upon Luca which is derived from Christian Luca and adapted from Greek Lukas.
Mazzei is listed as derivation of Mattei (previously discussed) =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”