Surnames: Conte, Iannarone, and Schiavone from Montaguto, It

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cchaotic2006

Surnames: Conte, Iannarone, and Schiavone from Montaguto, It

Postby cchaotic2006 » 07 Oct 2008, 23:09

Looking for surnames Conte, Iannarone and Schiavone from Montaguto, Italy. I speak no Italian and am a newbie. How do I find records, translate into English etc. I have a FHC library about 40 miles from me if that helps. Thanks

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Surnames: Conte, Iannarone, and Schiavone from Montaguto

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Oct 2008, 23:28

You can rent out the micorfilm of civil records for Montaguto (AV) Campania region from the FHL for about $5.00 which lists all births,marriages and deaths from 1809 to 1910. Bring along the companionbook Discovering Your Italian Ancestros by Lynn Nelson anda magnifying glasss for close inspection shoud the handwriting obscure your vision. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 08 Oct 2008, 11:28

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!

Here is an excellent outline written by member Trish:

I volunteer at a Family History Center as well as teach a class there on how to begin your genealogy. I have written the information below for our FHC. I think it might be useful for everyone when they are trying to locate microfilm.

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

This was updated!
Smile for me!:)
Trish

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 08 Oct 2008, 11:35

To help in translating documents:

Itallian Genealogical Word List

Scroll to the bottom of the following link and you will find several articles on Italian research:

Italian Research Helps

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

cchaotic2006

Postby cchaotic2006 » 09 Oct 2008, 16:57

:D :D
Thank you so much Peter and Wldspirit, I will follow up on your suggestions and resources and get back to you with questions and successes. I had given up for a bit on my Montaguto, Italy side (which is difficult since I'm first generation on that side). Claudia

aschi1999

Postby aschi1999 » 17 Oct 2008, 11:15

I was born in Montaguto and my surname is Schiavone. May be I can help you in some way. Schiavone is a common surname in Montaguto. Conte and Iannarone were less common. I know of a Luigi Conte who left Montaguto in the early twenties, he was a good friend of my Grandfather. Antonio

cchaotic2006

Postby cchaotic2006 » 20 Oct 2008, 14:54

Antonio,
My grandfather was Luigi Conte, he left Montaguto in 1923, and returned at least twice before bringing the immediate family over in 1930. Sounds like the same Conte. I'd love to hear anything about him that you know as well as your grandfather. My aunt Yole Schiavone Conte was also from Montaguto and married one of Luigi's sons, so I would also appreciate learning more about the Schiavone's. According to Aunt Yole - 3 Schiavone brothers came to Montaguto in the 1400s and were quite prolific. Can you substantiate that or know anything else about Schiavone, Conte or Montaguto history.
If we turn out to be related I'd be happy to invite you as a guest to my private tree on ancestry.com
Claudia

Return to “Italian Genealogy”