Help Deciphering Manifest-Surname Spelled Serrepele??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
budgirl11777

Help Deciphering Manifest-Surname Spelled Serrepele??

Postby budgirl11777 » 26 Aug 2003, 19:00

I am desperately trying to figure out what the actual surname is for my great-great grandmother. The Ellis Island passenger manifest lists her name as Angelo (should be Angelina) Serrepeole. It then lists her sister as Ca??ila Serrepele. Can someone help me out with figuring out the correct name?? I know that she came from Agropoli, Naples.

Thanks!
Anna Marie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 26 Aug 2003, 19:15

Hi: is Serrapede (exact spelling)...
:wink: suanj

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 26 Aug 2003, 20:16

You have to look at the ships manifest when you search out the ellis island archives since the people who transcribed the spelling to a typewriter for the computer pages were sloppy. The ships manifest were correct and should be consulted when a spelling question arises. Peter

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 26 Aug 2003, 21:50

Hi: Serrapoele, Serrepele, Serrepede not exist in Italy..sure exact spelling is Serrapede ...surname typical Agropoli area... who has written bad Italian surname , who has transcribed bad italian surname. I answer responsibly: exact surname is Serrapede...
:wink: suanj

ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 27 Aug 2003, 01:20

Ha ragione. Peter

mgfit

Re: Help Deciphering Manifest-Surname Spelled Serrepele??

Postby mgfit » 18 Apr 2010, 15:02

check out this website for information on the Serrapede's from Agropol.

http://www.imaginesmaiorum.net/surnames ... n.cfm?id=7

THe name is listed but the information has not been transcribed. Concact Anthony from the contacts link on that website. He helped me out before he had pyt my family's records on the website. I know I came accross a Serrapede that married into our family somewhere on that website. If you email Anthony, he will get back to you. Good luck!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”