Two Surnames on Manifest for my GG Grandpa-Lepera/Aliveto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Two Surnames on Manifest for my GG Grandpa-Lepera/Aliveto

Postby budgirl11777 » 27 Aug 2003, 19:45

The manifest which lists my GG grandmother and her children coming to W.V. from San Giovanni Fiore, shows them going to join my GG grandfather, Giovanni Lepera Aliveto. It also shows that my GG grandmother was previously living with her mother-in-law, Costanzia Lepera Aliveto. My GG Grandfather's name as I knew it was Sam Aliveto. Why would it list two surnames for him?
budgirl11777

Postby ptimber » 27 Aug 2003, 22:27

I would have to see the manifest since you are talking about a manifest in italian and may not be familiar with the calligraphy and so Lepera while possibly not a surname but another first name may mean he had only one surname which is what all Italians have legally. In Italy woman retain their identity forever and only the children take on the fathers surname.Please let me see the manifest and then I can talk more definitiviely. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 27 Aug 2003, 23:30

You know I just figured it out!! His name is Giovanni Aliveto. The Lepoera is his mothers surname and they were going to her house. Italian woman when married kept their maiden name but would attach their husbands name when it was appropriate . Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy