Second Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Second Surname

Post by Fugie »

In reviewing the birth and death acts on the LDS microfilms, I found that our family line had a second surname - Saverio Mirarchi Longonese. Somewhere I discovered that a second surname was used to distinguish the different family lines.

My question is: Where did the second surnames orginate? Was it a village, street, profession, etc? Also, does anyone know what "Longonese" is or where it came from.

Any help on this puzzling mystery would be greatly appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: literally LONGONESE means "citizen or inhabitant of Longone "
Are two Longone towns in Italy:
-Longone Sabino (in Rieti province- Lazio region)
-Longone al Segrino( Como province-Lombardia region).

But Longonese, in the past, was calls the inhabitants Sardinia area (=Sardegna region), neighbor to S. Teresa di Gallura town..
:wink: suanj
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Second Surname

Post by Fugie »

Thanks so much for the information. I guess my next step would be to check out the Mirarchi name in the Sardegna region. Any idea where this is or how I can access records there? Again, thanks for your most informative response.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: this town in Sardinia(Sardegna in italian) it was constructed from Roman and called Longone.
Later on, the Pisani (inhabitants of Pisa town) they reconstructed town and called it Porto Longone(Longone Port).

It was destroyed newly, and it was constructed Santa Teresa di Gallura, iin the vicinities, in year 1808. But inhabitants of ancient area continued to call Longonese(=from Longone area).

Currently in Santa Teresa di Gallura (Sassari province- Sardegna region)not are Mirarchi persons, but are Mirarchi persons in Sassari province(SS) and in Cagliari province (CA):
read
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... na&x=0&y=0

Regards, suanj
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Second Surname

Post by Fugie »

Hi,

Boy, you really possess a wealth of knowledge. I have my homework cut our for me to start investigating the Sardinia region. But, thanks to you, I have a lot to work with.

Again, thank you for your help.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Fugie: thanks always to God!
My knowledge seems unfortunately disturbs someone here... happy of helping you
I'm mrs. and not a boy. ..... :wink: suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Raffaela rather than annoy I admire your knowledge and find you a wonderful on line companbion. What I do not like is when you arbitraily decide to intervene in a posting when you feel you "know better".. as an instance, I am trying to do what the moderator of this forum wants and that is for people to become familiar with the locations in Italy link and you turn around jump in with your answer as somehow "YOU KNBOW BETTER" and all I was tgrying to do was get the person to read the link, see the maps and learn by doing....You are a competent, intelligent mature woman whom I admire greatly but you do not seem to be able to go beyond what you feel and think now why doe Peter rrespond this way. he must know what he is doing by referring him to a link that Edmondo wants people to know and enjoy. I think you possess morer knoweldge about Italy than I as an American know or can know and am imprerssed and learn soemthing from you each day. Just bite your lip when I resp;ond to a posting and send me a private message and I will bite my lip and send you a private message but please use more discretion. Remeber that Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus. Warm regards Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Raffaela rather than annoy I admire your knowledge and find you a wonderful on line companbion. What I do not like is when you arbitraily decide to intervene in a posting when you feel you "know better".. as an instance, I am trying to do what the moderator of this forum wants and that is for people to become familiar with the locations in Italy link and you turn around jump in with your answer as somehow "YOU KNBOW BETTER" and all I was tgrying to do was get the person to read the link, see the maps and learn by doing....You are a competent, intelligent mature woman whom I admire greatly but you do not seem to be able to go beyond what you feel and think now why doe Peter rrespond this way. he must know what he is doing by referring him to a link that Edmondo wants people to know and enjoy. I think you possess morer knoweldge about Italy than I as an American know or can know and am imprerssed and learn soemthing from you each day. Just bite your lip when I resp;ond to a posting and send me a private message and I will bite my lip and send you a private message but please use more discretion. Remeber that Men are from Mars and Woman are from Venus. Warm regards Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

.....and remeber that MARS is closer than Venus. Peter