Iucci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gamadaha
Rookie
Rookie

Iucci

Postby gamadaha » 02 Nov 2008, 04:45

could anyone advise me How to pronounce this name: Eugenia Iucci thanks so much

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Iucci

Postby liviomoreno » 02 Nov 2008, 05:37

Youtchy

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Nov 2008, 11:55

liviomoreno wrote:Youtchy

Ahh! A perfect opportunity to address something which has been bothering me for some time now!

My impression overall has been that double-vowels beginning with an "i" are usually pronounced as a single-sound (a "dipthong") with the "i" becoming the typical English "y". Hence, "ia" is pronounced "ya", io = yo (like the toy, yo-yo), iu = yu (you), ie = ye (like yea as in yea/nay, yes/no).

Yet, when I listen to native speakers, many words seem to come out with the doubled-vowels pronounced separately, the ia in italiano" being a good example = ee-tal-ee-ah-no.

In my own mind, I have decided that there are no true dipthongs in italian pronunciation, that all vowels are pronounced separately. So, Iucci is properly pronounced ee-oo-chi, however when a native speaker does it at normal speed the ee-oo run together and sound like yu to our English trained ears.

I would love to get some comments on this subject as it is something I have been struggling with for a very long time. Next, we can talk about doubled consonants ("cc", "tt", etc)) - my other most troublesome subject. :)

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 12:06

There is a website that speaks about Italian pronunciation that may further advance your discussion on pronunciation.

www.Italian.about.com/cs/pronounciation ... ewords.htm

=Peter=

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 02 Nov 2008, 12:32

PeterTimber wrote:There is a website that speaks about Italian pronunciation that may further advance your discussion on pronunciation.

www.Italian.about.com/cs/pronounciation ... ewords.htm

=Peter=

Peter,

On this page (http://italian.about.com/cs/pronunciati ... vowels.htm), it is stated, "2. Vowels (a,e,i,o,u) always retain their value in diphthongs."

I interpret this as (often stated on other sites), all vowels are pronounced separately and, using the example in the original post, Iucci would be pronounced ee-oo-chi. It just sounds like yoo-chi because a native speaker tends to let the ee-oo sounds run together and our English ears cannot discriminate the two separate sounds.

Would you agree, or am I way off-base here?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 12:50

I agree that grammarians would shrink from the mispronunciation of Italian as it is spoken in various parts of Italy but the same can be said for every language spoken in the world where there are grammar rules. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Nov 2008, 19:02

Most pedestrians in the USA would pronounce Iucci in a variety of ways and knowledgeable persons can only pronounce the surname phonetically as eee-ooo-chii (as in ch of ouch).=Peter=

gamadaha
Rookie
Rookie

Postby gamadaha » 03 Nov 2008, 03:55

Wow. That opened a whole new can of worms for me!! Now I am going to have some more studying to do! Thank you to all who posted for me.
Side note: I am a born VanDittie that changed from the orignal name Venditti. There is a double "t" for you:) I thought we always had trouble with that one!! Many people in my life have always pronounced that name differently, now Iucci is a whole new issue:) Thanks again!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”