Spinzola family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Spinzola

Spinzola family

Post by Spinzola »

hey i'm glad to have found this site. For years i've been trying to find something... anything about my family's past. All my irish friends have got their clan tartans and gaelic names, but me i'm proud to be italian, just annoyed that there are seemingly no records of my surname having ever existed past 1920. hmm well if anyone can guide me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I once heard that we are from Ariano Irpino somewhere inland from Naples?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Spinzola family

Post by Biff83 »

Hello and Welcome!

In checking the Italian White Pages, I found no listings in Ariano Irpino for Spinzola but a few for Spinazzola, and even more in the province of Avellino.

If you could give us more information on your ancestor who emigrated, we might be able to locate a manifest record to verify the surname.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Spinzola only shows up in the USA which means either the surname has gone extinct and those whose name is Spinzola immigrated to the USA since www.familysearch.org under ancestor search only shows Spinzola in the social security death index or there was a surname name change that took place in the USA be it voluntary or involuntary. Have you checked the ellisisland.org website for any spinzola entry??? =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I found a street VIA SPINZOLA in the town of Pavullo Nel Frignano, Postakle 41026 (Prov.Modena) Emilia Romagna region.

Further there are microfilm records in the family history librarfy nearest your home( www.familysearch.org for location nearest you). The dates are from 1806 to 1900 for all births,marriages and deaths in Pavullo Nel Frignano. If you go to www.nonsolocap.it and below is the ragion of Emilia Romagna and click on Modena and then click for the Pavullo nel Frignano town for all pertinent information about the town.
If you find that Vincenzo Spinzola was born there in 1874 since he arrived at NYC in 1895 on the SS Werra destined to San Francisco with a buddy. He was aged 21. Does any of this sound familiar? =Peter=
Spinzola

Post by Spinzola »

thank you all... I believe my great grandfather was Nickolas? or something along those lines...
Spinzola

Post by Spinzola »

oh I just learned, the farthest i've been able to trace back is my great-grandfather who was named William but one of my uncles bears his name and we call him "Nick" I believe Nick was a "nick-name" of my great grandfather whom is listed as being born in 1890 so im assuming his father had immigrated sometime shortly before then...
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Spinzola wrote:oh I just learned, the farthest i've been able to trace back is my great-grandfather who was named William but one of my uncles bears his name and we call him "Nick" I believe Nick was a "nick-name" of my great grandfather whom is listed as being born in 1890 so im assuming his father had immigrated sometime shortly before then...
Do any these records belong to your family?
Thanks!

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
William Spinozola 26
Hollett Scituate MA
2 Mar 1891 in Avellino (Campania Region)
Declarant
Farmer for TW Lawson in Scituate
Single

1942 Draft Registration Card
William Spinzola
827 Hyde Park Ave, Hyde Park, Suffolk, MA
6 Mar 1890 in Avellino
Mildred C Spinzola same address
Employer city of Boston Park Dept

SSDI
Name: William Spinzola
SSN: 014-34-8791
Last Residence: 02155 Medford, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Born: 2 Mar 1890
Died: Mar 1979
State (Year) SSN issued: Massachusetts (1960-1961 )
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Post deleted.

Info already posted. :cry:
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi mj :D ! perhaps Boston?
Possible matching manifest

page 2

August 1907, SS Canopic, Naples to Boston
Lines 22-23
Guglielmo Spinazzola 17 (abt 1890)
- single
- last residence Melito, Avellino
- in Bonito?, father Antonio
- destination Boston
- joining brother Sabato & Carmina? at 3 North
- born in Melito
Pasquale Spinazzola 28 (1879)
- married
---

Brother Sabato?
Possibly related record from NEHGS

Boston Marriage 21 Jul 1907

Sabato Spinazzola 22 (abt 1885)
1st marriage
Residence So Framingham
Shoe Shop
Born in Italy
Father Antonio Spinazzola
Mother Mana Maria __

Marianna Viglione 26 (abt 1881)
1st marriage
Residence So Framingham
Shoe Shop
Born in Italy
Father Joseph
Mother Rosa __

Married by Joseph Gotti priest
12 North Square
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi MJ and Valarie!!

Immigration year matches 1920 and 1930 census records
1920 census
Name: William Spingaola
[William Spingola]
Home in 1920: Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Hellen

1930 census
Name: William Spinzola
Home in 1930: Scituate, Plymouth, Massachusetts
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Father Antonio and brother Sabato?
1902 manifest lines 23 and 24
Name: Antonio Spinazzola
Arrival Date: 18 May 1902
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1858
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Cambroman
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Last Residence: Melito

Biff
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff :D !
Neat records!
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

vj wrote: 1942 Draft Registration Card
William Spinzola
827 Hyde Park Ave, Hyde Park, Suffolk, MA
6 Mar 1890 in Avellino
Mildred C Spinzola same address
Employer city of Boston Park Dept
Same Willliam as 1942 WWII Card?

William & Mildred Spinzola
1947 Boston Directory
---

Mildred Spinzola’s sister?

Possibly related obituary:
Boston Globe, The (MA) - October 30, 2003
Deceased Name: SOLA, Stella M. (Nuzzolo)
SOLA, Stella M. (Nuzzolo)
of Walpole, formerly of Dedham & Roslindale, Oct. 28. Beloved wife of Gaetano "Guy" Sola. Devoted mother of Anthony F. Sola & his wife Donna of Dedham, Donna M. Pulcini & her husband John of Hopkinton, Grandmother of Anthony Sola Jr., Michael, Richard & Timothy Sola, Robert & Jonathan Pulcini, Pamela Lattanzio, Diana Pulcini, Andrea Camacho, Susan Trotta, also survived by 11 great grandchildren. Sister of the late John, Gerald & Frank Nuzzolo, Antoinetta DeStefano, Mildred Spinzola, Daughter of the late Nicola & Angelina (DeMatteo) Nuzzolo. Funeral from the George F. Doherty & Sons Wilson-Cannon Funeral Home, 456 High St., DEDHAM, Friday, at 9 a.m. Funeral Mass in Sacred Heart Church, Roslindale, at 10 a.m. Relatives and friends kindly invited. Visiting hours Thursday 2-5 & 7-9. Interment Forest Hills Cemetery, Boston. Donations may be made in Stella's memory to The National Parkinsons Foundation, 1501 N.W. 9th Ave/Bob Hope Rd., Miami, FL 33136.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Naturalization information matching Biff’s 1920 census:

index card
William Spinozola
Box 45 Egypt (Plymouth County) MA
2 Mar 1890 in Avellino
Gardener
Unmarried
Admisssion 26 May 1919
Certificate # 1192034
---

1919 Petition
Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1919
Date: 26 May 1919
Immigrant Full Name: William Spinzola
Document Type: Petition for Naturalization
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Lesley B Allen
Witness 2 Full Name: Frank R Olson
Year Immigrated: 1907

Notes:

Address: Camp Devens, Egypt (Plymouth County) MA

William was naturalized as an alien serving in the US armed forces under the act of 9 May 1918.
He does state in his Petition that he filed his Declaration of Intention in Boston in 1913(?).
Petition witnesses were a captain and 1st sergeant at Camp Devens.

An 1862 law allowed honorably discharged Army veterans of any war to petition for naturalization--without previously having filed a declaration of intent--after only 1 year of residence in the United States. An 1894 law extended the same no-previous-declaration privilege to honorably discharged 5-year veterans of the Navy or Marine Corps. Over 192,000 aliens were naturalized between May 9, 1918, and June 30, 1919, under an act of May 9, 1918, that allowed aliens serving in the U.S. armed forces during "the present war" to file a petition for naturalization without making a declaration of intent or proving 5 years' residence.
From: http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html
---

1919 Oath
Publication Number: M1368
Publication Title: Petitions and Records of Naturalizations of the U.S. District and Circuit Courts of the District of Massachusetts, 1906-1929
Publisher: NARA
State: Massachusetts
Court: U.S. District Court
Year: 1919
Date: 26 May 1919
Immigrant Full Name: William Spinozola
Document Type: Oath of Allegiance
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: [Blank]
Witness 2 Full Name: [Blank]
Year Immigrated: 1907
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Valarie :D !
Nice naturalization finds.

1930 census stated he was a WWI veteran. Petition signed at Camp Devens and witnessed by two officers.

Might be worth noting one of the exceptions to the naturalization process through which he qualified for citizenship.

"The third major exception to the general rule was the special consideration given to veterans. An 1862 law allowed honorably discharged Army veterans of any war to petition for naturalization--without previously having filed a declaration of intent--after only 1 year of residence in the United States. An 1894 law extended the same no-previous-declaration privilege to honorably discharged 5-year veterans of the Navy or Marine Corps. Over 192,000 aliens were naturalized between May 9, 1918, and June 30, 1919, under an act of May 9, 1918, that allowed aliens serving in the U.S. armed forces during "the present war" to file a petition for naturalization without making a declaration of intent or proving 5 years' residence. Laws enacted in 1919, 1926, 1940, and 1952 continued various preferential treatment provisions for veterans."--quoted from:
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/natur ... ation.html

Biff