How to find military service deaths in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pcalarco

How to find military service deaths in Italy

Postby pcalarco » 09 Nov 2008, 09:37

Through research into shipping lists and border crossings, I have found a great uncle, Natale Calarco, who initially immigrated to New York, joining his brothers who preceded him in Brooklyn, and he also visited his brothers Rosario and Vincenzo in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario.

My grandparents Bible indicates that Natale was killed in World War I in "Battlefields, Italy", after the Armistice was signed, in November 1917.

Does anyone have any idea how I could substantiate this, through military service records from Italy or some other means? Many thanks in advance.

- pascal

pcalarco

Re: How to find military service deaths in Italy

Postby pcalarco » 09 Nov 2008, 09:54

Note: the Armistace was signed in November 1918, so it is possible that the Nov. 1917 date in the bible is incorrect, if indeed he died after peace was signed.

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 09 Nov 2008, 14:48

pcalarco wrote:Through research into shipping lists and border crossings, I have found a great uncle, Natale Calarco, who initially immigrated to New York, joining his brothers who preceded him in Brooklyn, and he also visited his brothers Rosario and Vincenzo in Berlin (now Kitchener), Ontario.

My grandparents Bible indicates that Natale was killed in World War I in "Battlefields, Italy", after the Armistice was signed, in November 1917.

Does anyone have any idea how I could substantiate this, through military service records from Italy or some other means? Many thanks in advance.

- pascal

Pascal,
I wrote to two people I know, they should have the complete list of italian soldiers died in WWI. I hope they reply soon. If you want his military record, it should be saved at Archivio di Stato di Reggio Calabria
I know, from my recent experience, they want the request (written only in italian) with attached italian tax stamps for about € 30 euros + envelope + italian stamp to send to USA
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 09 Nov 2008, 15:03

my friend replied

Nicola Calarco, son of Domenico

soldier of 139th Infantry Regiment born in Calanna on 18 March 1894 missed in action on on 25 Septemebr 1918 on Monte Asolone

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Nov 2008, 15:51

The address I have for those killed in Action is:
\ Commissariato Generale
Onoranze Caduti in Guerra
P. Le Luigi Sturzo 23
00144 Roma, Italia

Their telephone is 06-5913632 should you wish to call. =Peter=

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Nov 2008, 16:02

For form letters in Italian language and for military records go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”