Italian in London during WWI but born in USA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anjgi
Rookie
Rookie

Italian in London during WWI but born in USA

Postby anjgi » 10 Nov 2008, 14:31

Here's an interesting conundrum - my partners grandfather was born in New York to a recently emigrated family from Naples. When he was about six he was taken back to Naples and then when he was around twelve brought to London, UK. He was therefore in London during the first WW. He was 19 in 1917 - the right age to be drafted - but who would draft him given that we don't think his birth was registered with the authorities in the US and he had a very strong Italian accent. To all intents and purposes, the UK would think him Italian. Any ideas?
thanks

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian in London during WWI but born in USA

Postby elba » 10 Nov 2008, 15:18

anjgi wrote:Here's an interesting conundrum - my partners grandfather was born in New York to a recently emigrated family from Naples. When he was about six he was taken back to Naples and then when he was around twelve brought to London, UK. He was therefore in London during the first WW. He was 19 in 1917 - the right age to be drafted - but who would draft him given that we don't think his birth was registered with the authorities in the US and he had a very strong Italian accent. To all intents and purposes, the UK would think him Italian. Any ideas?
thanks

This may be of interest to you:
>British National Archives<
These archives are notoriously difficult to navigate, but this link will give you an idea of what 'may' have happened to him.

Here is another that may give you further insight:
>War Time Records of Internees<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby elba » 10 Nov 2008, 15:27

anjgi wrote:Here's an interesting conundrum - my partners grandfather was born in New York to a recently emigrated family from Naples. When he was about six he was taken back to Naples and then when he was around twelve brought to London, UK. He was therefore in London during the first WW. He was 19 in 1917 - the right age to be drafted - but who would draft him given that we don't think his birth was registered with the authorities in the US and he had a very strong Italian accent. To all intents and purposes, the UK would think him Italian. Any ideas?
thanks

This may be of interest to you:
>British National Archives<
These archives are notoriously difficult to navigate, but this link will give you an idea of what 'may' have happened to him.

Here is another that may give you further insight:
>War Time Records of Internees<
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!

"Gente di Mare Genealogy"

anjgi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby anjgi » 10 Nov 2008, 15:50

Many thanks. There is no reason why he would have been interned. We know he was in London in March 1918 because he got a girl pregnant (the child was born in Nov 1918) and he married her in July 1919. However, we don't think he was here in the interim period. By this time Italy was on 'our' side and internments of Italians had ceased. In any case he was living with Italians who had been here since the late 1890s. I believe he was 'drafted' into one army or another - possibly the Italian or the US but could this happen from the UK? Or could it have been that he absconded somehow? What is important is that he could have married the girl before or just after the birth, but waited another 9 months. This speaks to me of a man that wasn't here during or after the birth, but who reappeared some time later, after he was 'demobbed'.

anjgi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby anjgi » 10 Nov 2008, 15:52

I forgot to add that he was living in the same house as her and her father, so he would have had pressure from her father to marry her if he had been there. As he didn't marry until much later I would have thought that he probably wasn't there, but when he was.. then he got pressured into doing the 'right' thing.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 10 Nov 2008, 16:04

Hi,
During WWI, Usa, Great Britain and Italy were allied so whatever nationality this man had, he couldn't be considered an enemy.

Ada

anjgi
Rookie
Rookie

Postby anjgi » 10 Nov 2008, 16:30

That's what I thought.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”