can any one help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

can any one help

Postby jolynn » 14 Nov 2008, 21:06

hello all, if i provided the name, place and date my great grandmother was born could anyone in italy look up her details for me? thankyou all, regards, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: can any one help

Postby PeterTimber » 14 Nov 2008, 22:31

Dear Jolynn We can either direct you to any existing micorfilms at your nearest Mormon church fmaily history library for micorfilm reocrds or direct you to the town of origin along with form letters for you to write for her birth, marriage, deaths, family members up to 1900. (privacy laws) free of charge. =peter=

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 15 Nov 2008, 14:00

hello, the problem i am having is were would records for cassino be kept. my great grandmother was born in 1856 in cassino but geographically italy did not exist then so would they be in cassino or caserta, i don,t know. because of the differant kingdoms etc. were would they be kept. i don,t believe there was a frosinone then. can anyone clarify this? thanks again , regards, john

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 15 Nov 2008, 14:18

The records for Cassino were destroyed during WW2. The ones before 1865 should be on microfilm at any Mormon Family History centre under Cassino.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 15 Nov 2008, 14:41

thankyou for that, are the records for cervaro also destroyed? also would there be any church records for baptisms marriages and burials for cassino for the years between 1875 and 1902 that may have survived. regards, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2008, 15:17

Cervaro (Frosinone province) has records from 1810 to 1944 and are microfilmed at FHL. =Peter=

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 15 Nov 2008, 15:31

thankyou peter, do you know if their is a surename called denalla or possibly something similar, regards, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2008, 15:44

Donella seems to be a liklety candidate and based upon the listed Italian surname Doni. The distribution of the name is mostly central to North Italy with a scattering in the South. =Peter=

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 15 Nov 2008, 16:01

hello peter, could there be a di nalla, also do you know if aquila was a christian name in the 19th century? thanks again, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2008, 17:32

There is no Di N??? past Di negro in Italian surname dictionary But there is Dinelli and Dinello based upon the base surname DINI.

The only feminine form for the nameAquila is a near equivalent Aqila whichis an arabic name baed opon the male arabic name Aqil menaing wise and intelligent.

Aquila is a male italian name for Eagle (Abruzzo capital is Aquila based upon Roman Eagle that crowned the legion standards when Abruzzo selected for aRoman Senate GI bill for 10th legion veterans recalled from Britain to fight civil war in Israel in 70AD). Further new testament has Paul living with Aquila and HIS wife Prisca (priscilla). =Peter=

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 15 Nov 2008, 18:31

thankyou peter, on my grandmothers wedding cert. it gives father as mask aquila conte ( deseased) i don,t know why mask was put before his name, as my gran could not read or write english at that time she would have said to the registrar when asked for fathers name what to them sounded like mask. have you any thoughts what it could mean? this was in the year 1908 shortly after they left italy. thankyou, john p.s. do you know were i would write to in italy to obtain my great grandmothers birth certificate. she was born in cassino in 1856. is there any church records for baptism. also apart from the mormon records is there any in italy. also is there any census records for cassino held in italy for the years from 1850 to 1910. thanks again. john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Nov 2008, 21:16

The immediate thing that comes to mind is that Aquila is a male name but to the luminary registrar thought it was a female name and when she was reassured of the opposite she indicated that he was male by putting inthe word MASK which indicated that he was male and being a poor speller put in mask instead of masc.

Yes there may be records in Cassino dating back to 1809 to 1900 since they were microfilmed by the Mormon people, However there are duplicates at the provincial level. I am sending you a website about Italian Records along with form letters in Italian from english to give you a leg up on things. Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

=Peter=

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 16 Nov 2008, 10:08

Cervaro records were reconstructed after the war so if your ancestor was not in Italy after WW2 chances are you won't find the record on microfilm unless it is before 1865.
Parish records amazingly did survive but the priest will not allow the ones before 1900 to be consulted as they are in poor condition. Maybe one day!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

jolynn
Elite
Elite

Postby jolynn » 16 Nov 2008, 13:09

thankyou both for your help. are there any census records kept anywere? regards, john

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Nov 2008, 13:54

Ufficio Anagrafe are census offices which are usually next to the civil records offices with some exceptions inbig cities. Same address for both.=Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”