Donadio,Donnadia, Donnadio, Dunadee, Donadee, Dee

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sharanne1118

Donadio,Donnadia, Donnadio, Dunadee, Donadee, Dee

Postby sharanne1118 » 18 Nov 2008, 22:28

My grandmother's father was George Donnadio(?) who came to the US in the late 1800's. I believe he was born between 1869-71. He was married to Rose. They settled in Frankfort NY. The family went by a variety of spellings of the last name. I believe they may have come from Calabria or Sicily. My great grandmother is buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetary in Frankfort NY. (Rose Dee). She died in 1912 after giving birth to my grandmother Jennie.
Any info would be great...I'm trying to put together a special christmas gift for my ill father.
Thanks

Sharon

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Donadio,Donnadia, Donnadio, Dunadee, Donadee, Dee

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Nov 2008, 00:40

Donadio is a basic italian name from which all other variations, alterations, abbreviations emanate making that spelling the most precise spelling. Further if you go to www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in Donadio in the upper left you will see that thereis a heavy concentration in mid Calabria and very few towns in Sicily have persons with that surname.

There is a record of a Giorgio arrribving with his family in 1893at age 10 making his birth 1883 from a town called Oriolo in the province of Caserta, Calabria and destined to Hazelton (Pennsylvania?) If this has any connections with your family oral history then we can trake it from there.=Peter=

sharanne1118

Postby sharanne1118 » 19 Nov 2008, 01:42

Thank you for your help! Actually according to the 1930 census for Frankfort NY He is listed as George Dee arriving here in 1896, age 54. His oldest daughter Josephine was born in 1899. My grandmother is listed as well Jennie Dee, 18 years old...That would be right. I believe that Oriolo is right...but I don't believe he was 10 when he came here. The oldest daughter was born here in 1899. Any additional help would be invaluable!
Thanks again
Sharon

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Nov 2008, 03:30

Sorry that I was not made aware of George Dee and census at inception so that I may have made greater progress. Lots of luck. =Peter=

vj
Master
Master

Postby vj » 19 Nov 2008, 04:41

:D Hi Sharon and Peter !

Biff and I have found some records for the 'Dee' family.
We posted them on Sharon's 'Di Giovanni' thread
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=15.html
Biff found his 1893 manifest from Oriolo (same year as Peter's find) with the spelling Donaddio
(probably should be Donadio like Peter :D suggested)

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't notice that Sharon had posted separately for her Dee family.

Valarie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 19 Nov 2008, 13:46

yes vj, it already was a very deep search!!! kisses, suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

sharanne1118

Postby sharanne1118 » 19 Nov 2008, 13:55

I cannot thank all of you enough! This will mean so much to my family. I was married for many years and after my divorce I went back to my maiden name of DiGiovanni. My dad, myself my brother and his 6 year old son are the last of "this" DiGiovanni family. My grandfather, James retained the last name of DiGiovanni while his brother's Charlie, Joe and Jon went by DeJohn. Joe DeJohn had one son, Joe and He had one son, Joe...but that's it. Having a family history to leave to my 6 year old nephew is something that has been of great concern to my Dad. Being able to pass this information along...especially the Donaddio portion which was so difficult for us because as a family we did not spend much time in Frankfort NY which is about 4 hours from Rochester...back in the days when my dad was a boy, (he was born in 1936) there was not the Thurway to travel, my grandfather worked in a factory, there was not the money to visit. I know my grandmother loved her family, but after 1965 or so, she didn't go to visit much...therefore there is not much information about her side of the family, other than what she passed on to me, and because her mother died while holding her at 14 months old, she never knew much about her own mothers family...(something she told me often; but there it was in black and white ...(thank you for finding it!) her mother's obituary) This is a treasure for me! I cannot thank you enough!
Sharon

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 19 Nov 2008, 14:03

The distribtuion of the surname for Donaddio is currently only in 11 towns in the regions abve calabria in Campania and Basilicata regions and there are none in Calabria so the potential for a mispelling should be considered as a family anecdote. =Peter=

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 19 Nov 2008, 15:35

In checking the Italian White pages for Oriolo in Cosenza, there are no listings for Donaddio but 10 listings for Donadio including two Giorgio's. There are also 25 hits for Franchino.
http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

Sharon,

Enter the surname in the cognome field
Enter Oriolo in the dove field
Then hit the red Cerca (search) button.

There are also potential relatives in San Giuseppe Jato with the Lo Forte and Di Giovanni surnames.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

justinerae

Postby justinerae » 08 Dec 2008, 04:18

Hi. Has been a little while since I have been on this site- busy with work, but your post caught my eye because I have Donadio's in my family. My paternal great grandmother's Rose Caldararo's maiden name was Donadio. Her father was Biagio Donadio and her mother Caterina Tuscano. Biagio died after from injuries that he got from being hit by a train in NYC. If I am remembering correcting this was in 1894. Don't hold me to the date- as I do not have the certificate in front of me.

My families lived in Manhattan and the Bronx.

Not sure if any connection, but like I said the name happened to catch my eye.

Justine

sharanne1118

Postby sharanne1118 » 09 Dec 2008, 14:27

Hi Justine,
I'm sorry, I am not familiar with that name. As you can see...my info is incomplete as well, however, these wonderful people really helped me to fill in a lot of missing information.

justinerae

Postby justinerae » 10 Dec 2008, 12:06

Thats quite alright. Like I said the post caught my eye because of the name. The people here are wonderful- they have helped me a couple of times as well. I have some on the family, but not a lot as they are not my main line of research- I just kind of try to work sideways sometimes and by doing that I did end up finding more information and people related through those side lines.

Justine

Return to “Italian Genealogy”