Libro d'anime

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Libro d'anime

Postby lilbees » 01 Dec 2008, 13:21

Peter, the "Libro d'anime(parish census Book of Souls" is how I finally learned of my great grandfather's name and his baptism record as well as the names of his brothers and parents. Someone did me a favor and appealed to a friend in the Church to help me since civil authorities could not unless I a specific birth date which I didn't. There were many similar named individuals in the commune so it was impossible to find the right one.

To make a long story short, through a Church Census of 1855 I finally learned of my great grandfather and family. It had taken me at least since 2000 to learn anything other than the information of my family in Tunisia but could not make a link to Italy itself.

What I am asking is how difficult is it to make a request to the Parish for an earlier census to give me my great great grandfather's family (I do have his birth and marriage records now). I would like this to make a connection here in the US and in Naples with family I believe to be connected. I have much information on the other families but not tying them to mine.

Thanking you in advance for any suggestion.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Libro d'anime

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Dec 2008, 21:34

You might try writing a letter to the Bishop requesting the census information from the parish Libro d'anime. Give him your information etc etc and enclose a $10.00. and see what respopnse you get from him.

Not knowing whether you know Italian or not go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/Da ... tters.html for form letters to the Bishop and another to the parish priest.
=Peter=

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 01 Dec 2008, 21:52

And you think that a Bishop will be interested in a 10$ bill? 8O

L.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 01 Dec 2008, 22:44

Cute luca! :wink:

lb
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 01 Dec 2008, 23:17

I know you are searching in several "directions" and maybe you'll receive some more info, but at a certain moment you'll must ask for the help of a local researcher because priests or employees will not do it for you :cry:

Luca

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 01 Dec 2008, 23:37

Good evening Luca.

I do not want to explore history on Gennaro. I do want to learn of Giovanni's brothers and sisters if they exist. The names will help me to tie into the east coast family that is wondering the same thing I am. If we really are connected. I did check with the Archives but no information can be obtained at this time. I thought the church might and I do say might have some specific information regarding Giovanni since I do now have his birth date. We are all agreed in the family that we have what we wanted, only leaving that final connection.

If no census information is available then I will have at least tried.

Many hugs to all who have assisted me thus far. It really is appreciated.

lilbees

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 01 Dec 2008, 23:54

You can ask Don Pompeo for a "Stato delle Anime" of the year 1820 (or 1830) about the family of Gennaro and his sons.
Nevere say never :wink:

Luca

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2008, 05:38

Dear Luca I advised her to enclose $10.00 to demonstrate sincerity on a modst scale so that he may be inclined to write back. Like you say never say never!! Further I know that the priests are difficult when it comes to researching their records and I would expect lilbees to enclose an additonal amount when and if the local parish priest is contacted by the Bishop or Lilbees of an additonal $10.00.

The Mormon church people advised several years ago to send church officals $15.00 but with the decline in the dollar I would imagine $20.00 would be appropriate. =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 02 Dec 2008, 13:44

Thank you so much Peter and Luca.

For Luca, I hesitated to contact Don Pompeo for a "Stato delle Anime" for those years since he was so generous in his assistance before. I just did not want to impose on him. That is why I thought to write to the Parish to see if I could get the information.

For Peter, I do not disagree with you about the money but I think it would be more appropriate for the local Parish priest than the Bishop. I have done this as well with the local officials. In fact, where I have done this I have indeed received a reply or documents. Others, where I did not include money, never bothered to write me back about my requests. So money in the right places can be a help.

I will think about my options at this point.

Thank you all again.

lilbees

Lucap
Master
Master

Postby Lucap » 02 Dec 2008, 14:18

lilbees wrote:...For Luca, I hesitated to contact Don Pompeo for a "Stato delle Anime" for those years since he was so generous in his assistance before. I just did not want to impose on him. That is why I thought to write to the Parish to see if I could get the information...

The only priest of the Parish is Don Pompeo; maybe you mean the Diocese: you can try to contact them to see if they have a copy of the "Stati delle Anime". If not, the only way is to ask again to Don Pompeo.
Ciao
Luca

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 02 Dec 2008, 14:20

Whoops!

I guess I never thought of himas the Parish priest :oops:

lilbees

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2008, 14:42

where is the diocese you are dealing with located? =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 02 Dec 2008, 14:45

Peter, the commune is Roccapiemonte, Salerno Campania.

The parish is Chiesa Parrocchiale S. Maria Del Ponte, Roccapiemonte.

lilbees

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 02 Dec 2008, 14:57

The archdiocese has a website that might help you or not. www.diocesisalerno.it I am a firm believer that you either make a donation to the church or turn the statue of Saint Anthony upside down if you wish to save money. =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 02 Dec 2008, 15:00

I like the idea of "Saint Anthony figure upside down". It has worked for me in the past. :wink:

I will check out the website you posted.

lilbees

Return to “Italian Genealogy”