History of the Di Fresco surname?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

History of the Di Fresco surname?

Postby adifresco » 04 Dec 2008, 21:07

I've managed to trace my Italian ancestors a few generations back, and I have yet to hear an explanation as to what our last name DiFresco means. Does anyone know?

Is there a town or some place in Italy known as Fresco? I can't seem to find one.

Is it a shortened version of Di Francesco or a similar name? Nothing in my family tree.

Does it come from the surname Fresco (without the Di), which is Jewish in origin? My family has been Catholic for at least 4 generations.

I've also noticed that most people with the name Di Fresco come from Sicily, but this is not the case with my family.

Any help would be appreciated.

nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: History of the Di Fresco surname?

Postby nazca » 04 Dec 2008, 22:32

hi,
the surname difresco is tipical in Palermo province. there are 126 families here with this surname . rest of people "di fresco" live in other provinces of sicily and someone in other regions of italy ...
i don't know a town called Fresco in italy: i think the origin of surname is different.

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 04 Dec 2008, 23:54

There is no listing for Fresco inthe Italian surname dictionary nor in the Jewish surname index for Sicily and another for Italy as a whole. There is not town or frazione named Fresco in Italy. It must be concluded,therefore that the surname Fresco or Di fresco, if you will, is local in origin. =Peter=

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 05 Dec 2008, 20:15

Thanks for the help.

I'm almost certain that the name Di Fresco must have originated in Palermo. I did a search to determine where the name is most common in Italy, and found this: http://gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera. ... gnomi-prov

This map shows that presently, the vast majority of Di Fresco families live in Palermo. The largest concentration other than Sicily is in the province of Chieti, which is where my ancestors are from.

When I did a search for just Fresco (without the Di), the results are much different. The most common area seems to be Torino. It's strange that adding the Di seems to have originated in Palermo.

I've only done research back about 5 generations to the mid-1800's. Maybe if I go back further, I'll find that my family originally came from Sicily.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Dec 2008, 21:07

It is interesting to read the listing of Sicilian nobility all start with "da". Sorry there is no Fresca listed. You might wish to trace the "Surname Fresca Sicily genealogy" as a title in Google.comwhich may bring up other past researches into the origins of the surname in Sicily or Italy.

One other possible sourceof the origin of the Fresca surname is the Diocesan Museum in the Archbishops Palace (1460) across from the Cathedral. The diocesan archives are located at Curia Vescovile, Diocese di Palermo, Via Matteo Bonello 2,90134, palermo (PA) Sicily. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”