NEW to Italian Gen.!! Need some help w/ obtaining Certs etc

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
luvdaavs

NEW to Italian Gen.!! Need some help w/ obtaining Certs etc

Postby luvdaavs » 10 Dec 2008, 05:03

Okay here it goes - I am new to researching Italian family History. My husbands family is from Potenza not sure of the exact town maybe Agnone (don't even know if that is a town, just a place where someone was born). I would like to know how to locate birth certificates or order a copy of them, as well as marriage certificates, death certificates and obituaries. All coming from Italy. I have most of the information from US records regarding census and that. I have done all the research in US that I could possible do, but then again someone always can learn something new every day. Here are some of the names that I am researching if anyone could give me guidence regarding obtaining birth certs, death certs, marriage certs. or obits. Also is there a website that would list cemeteries in Potenza? Anyway here is the list of people that I am looking for:

Angelo P. Vendegna born
Maria Santangelo born

Gennaio DiTullio born
Carmela Misischia born

Giacinta DiManna

Pasquale Carosella born MAY 28, 1868/1869 in Agnone, Italy
Maria Nicola (Nicolina) D'Tullio or DiTullio born OCT 8 1876/1877 in Agnone
they were married APR 11, 1901 in Agnone, Italy

Pasquale's parents
Domenico Antonio Carosella
Maria Francisico Vecchiarelli

All listed above that are grouped together are husband and wife. Any help that someone can give me on where to start would be great. Thank all in advance for any help that is given to me.

Shannon Vendegna :P

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: NEW to Italian Gen.!! Need some help w/ obtaining Certs

Postby JohnArmellino » 10 Dec 2008, 07:05

Agnone is a town in the Province of Isernia and Region of Molise. It is quite famous for its casting of bells. Its age-old Marinelli foundry has produced bells for many churches all over the world. This foundry was selected by Pope John Paul II to cast the Jubilee Bell used in the celebration of the Third Millennium.

The civil records of Agnone 1809-1899 have been filmed by the LDS. Go to their website at www.familysearch.org and follow the links for Library>LibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch and type in Agnone to see the film details. these films can be rented and viewed at the LDS's Family History Centers. You can find the FHC nearest to you at the above site.

The marriage record you mentioned is just outside the range of records that have been filmed. You can get a copy of that record by writing to the Ufficio di Stato Civile of Agnone at:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via G. Verdi 9
86081 Agnone (IS)
Italy

Email: segretario @ comune.agnone.is.it

You should search this site for references to Agnone. I believe that there have been quite a few good discussions about this town. In fact, I think one or more of them may have mentioned the surname Carosella.
John Armellino

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 10 Dec 2008, 08:10

For an easy interactive form letter to make your request:

http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

luvdaavs

Postby luvdaavs » 11 Dec 2008, 06:15

Thank you both for the information, I really do appreciate it very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do have one concern though, I was doing some other research online last night just looking for websites that may have information and I ran into several of them and probably including the site that you listed for the list of records and they are in Italian. I do not have a clue at all what anything is saying to understand where to navigate the sites. Any suggestions? What about obits anything that you suggest for that?

Again thank you both so much for your information, I will be following through with it. Also does anyone know how much a research might charge on average to do research?

Thank you all again very much

Shannon :lol:

luvdaavs

Postby luvdaavs » 11 Dec 2008, 06:34

Hi

Could someone help me out with the explanation of what it means when it states "Civil Registration". Does that mean it is birth records or what? Thank you so much for your time.

luvdaavs

Postby luvdaavs » 11 Dec 2008, 06:38

Hi John -

Thank you for the website that you posted for me to check, but when doing so it is all in Italian and I don't understand. I clicked on the British flag on top to see if it would change to english but it only changed the tabs to english form. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get an english version. Again thank you for your help and I will take anymore that you or anyone else could give me.

May God Bless each and everyone who helps people such as me with their research!!!!

Shannon

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 11 Dec 2008, 06:45

Here is the direct link for the civil records of Agnone that have been microfilmed by the LDS:

Agnone Civil Records on Microfilm

Here is the direct link to find the nearest Family History Center:

Find a Family History Center

If you are seriously interested in researching your family tree, you might want to check out Trafford Cole's book, Italian Genealogical Records, or Lynn Nelson's book, A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors. The Family Search website also has some great resources.
John Armellino

luvdaavs

Postby luvdaavs » 11 Dec 2008, 06:48

Hi John -

Thank you for your quick reply. I am very serious about researching, it is my husbands line, his family lines. No one in his family from father or mother's side have done it and I have done major research on my family and would like to put his family together so that I can give it to my children when they are older.

Could you please tell me what Civil Registration means.

Thank you again I really do appreciate all of your information.

Shannon Vendegna

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 11 Dec 2008, 06:54

Thank you for the website that you posted for me to check, but when doing so it is all in Italian and I don't understand. I clicked on the British flag on top to see if it would change to english but it only changed the tabs to english form. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get an english version.

Sorry, Shannon, but I don't think Agnone has an English version of its website. You might try Google's translator for some portions of that site, such as the "storia" section (storia means history).

Could someone help me out with the explanation of what it means when it states "Civil Registration". Does that mean it is birth records or what?

Civil registration refers to the records that are kept by the state. It will often be referred to as the "Stato Civile". In Italy, all civil records are kept at the local level, with copies sent to the provincial archives. The civil records include birth, marriage, and death records, as well as a few other types of records.
John Armellino

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 11 Dec 2008, 14:09

Dear Shannon perhaps this website will answer most if not all of your questions at this english website on How to do Your Own Genalogy Research.

www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

Of course we are here to assist and otherwise clarify any of your questions. =Peter=

luvdaavs

Postby luvdaavs » 12 Dec 2008, 03:10

John & Peter -

Thank you both for the further information that you have provided to me, I am ever grateful. Still have so many questions, and very scared to send a letter to Italy because I don't understand the language. I don't want to be disrespectful in regards to anything.

If there is anybody out there who has any info on the people that I listed in my first post I am always grateful to get that information, or any family memebers out there they may want to share info.

Thank you to everyone again for your help, HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL.

Shannon

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Dec 2008, 11:55

The form letters are transcribed into Italian language from English for you so there is little to fear about translations, or any other concerns. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”