Vito Mastronardi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Vito Mastronardi

Post by apersico »

I believe I may have found Giuseppe, Domenica, and their children in the 1930 census. Based on the childrens' names from your grandfather's obituary it seems to fit.

They are the last family on the first page and continue onto the second. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

BINGO! I just found Giuseppe's WWI draft card:

Giuseppe Mastronardi
Residence: 171 Henry St, Binghamton, NY
Born: Jan 9, 1890
Alien
Born: Castellana?, Bari, Italy (It sort of looks like Pastelane or something..but I'm wondering if it's not Castellana [Grotto], simply mispelled)
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognom ... uglia.html - searching for Mastronardi shows that Castellana Grotto has the largest population of Mastronardis in Bari.

Occupation: Laborer for hire (not sure what the word after that is)
Employer: Different contractors
Where Employed: Binghamton, NY
Anyone dependent on you for support: Wife and 4 children
Married or single: Married
Race: Caucasian
Height: Short
Build: Medium
Color of eyes: Brown
Color of hair: Black
Bald?: No

*Edit
I also just found them in the 1920 census simply under "Mastro" (4th name down), attached below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

I'm inundating you with information this evening!

Here is Giuseppe's ship record (he is the first person on both pages). The 1920 and 1930 censuses said he immigrated in 1907 and this is the only Giuseppe Mastronardi in 1907 (coming from Castellana, by the way! :D) The first page indicates that he had a father named Pietro, the second shows he was coming here to be with an uncle(?) Vito in NY. He was 17 and still single at this point (census indicates he was married at 19).

I also found the ship record for him and Domenica coming over in 1911. They are #26 an #27. It says she is also from Castellana and her father's name is Francesco. They are heading to an uncle Vito again.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

Domenica and Giuseppe ship record:

I hope you enjoy all this new-found information! :D
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

apersico; This is wonderful! Thanks so much! How did you find this all so fast? Who are you?
Thank you, the family will be thrilled.
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by apersico »

Haha :) I'm just a kid with a lot of time on my hands. Genealogy has become a hobby of mine recently and I really enjoy solving mysteries like these. My family was from Utica, NY and my great grandfather has been a real challenge to find information on. Everyones' names were so badly misspelled on almost all of the records, so I've gotten accustomed to searching in various ways to find them. Lately I've been looking through Italian civil records for Alberobello, where some of my family is from (that's how I found this topic), since I've run into some dead ends in the US.

But anyways, I mostly used Ancestry.com to find all this information for you, and one piece of information led to another. I started with the information from the obituary you found and searched for Giuseppe and I found that 1930 census. They also have a huge collection of draft records so I used the birth date you provided and found him pretty easily. That's where I got his birth place from. I don't know how I managed to find them in 1920...Just a lot of testing out different spelling variations and looking for first names similar to 1930. Using the immigration dates on the censuses I searched for a Giuseppe Mastronardi born around 1890, restricting the arrival date to 1907 and there he was, coming from Castellana. I did the same for Domenica for 1911 and, although to last name was a little off, she was the only Domenica in 1911. It was really all thanks to the birth date you included for Giuseppe! :)

I've tried searching for Denice's grandfather Vito but I can't seem to find his immigration record (I found him in the 1920 and 1930 censuses), so that's a bummer. :(

But I really enjoyed the search. It's always fun to solve a mystery and be able to help someone! Glad to hear that my work will be appreciated and hopefully passed on. :)

Best,
Angela
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

started a new forum; see: Mastronardi, Giuseppe & Domenica
nicole_marie694

Post by nicole_marie694 »

I'm so confused, my grandfather Vito Mastronardi, who was married to Carmella Twisto, had siblings that came to the US with him? I know that before he married Carmella, he lived in Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania for awhile. From what I heard, they met on the boat first then went their separate ways. I have no clue how they were reunited.
nicole_marie694

Post by nicole_marie694 »

Dandy, My father Vito Mastronardi was the last son born to Vito sr. and Carmella Mastronardi. I know that my grandfather Vito lived in Tunkhannock Pennsylvania for awhile. I don't know much about my family, so I'm no help at all. If you find more out please let me know. I would love to know who Vito's parents were are well as who Carmella's parents were. Also would love to know more about Vito's place of birth. I was told Bari today by my uncle, but that's about it.
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pressc ... bLoggedOut
Are you related to the Farneti's (Angie/Angelina (Mastronardi) Farneti married to Enzo Farneti from Binghamton? See obit above (there's a Vito mastronardi).
This is an email I sent their son Gary Farneti who never replied.

Red House (ottroad@hotmail.com)You moved this message to its current location.
Sent: Sun 6/02/13 7:07 PM
To: gfarneti@binghamtonlaw.com (gfarneti@binghamtonlaw.com)
6/2/13
Gary,
First, my deepest sympathy for the loss of your father.
I always thought your parents were kind, gentle & friendly people.
My mother, Elizabeth (Mastronardi) Martin (age 90-husband Ray Martin),
who is currentlt at home with me, said your father was very Italian and good-looking,
and she always spoke about her cousin Angie.
I remember meeting you & your brother & sister only a couple of times when were were kids
(family reunions maybe).
Mom said her mother (Domenica/Mary/Minnie Mastronardi married to Giuseppe/Joseph Mastronardi) was Angie's mother's sister.
I've been trying to find the history of Mastronardi family & it's very confusing.
My mother never really knew her parents history; noone talked about it; and now there are few people to ask.
Why were my grandparents last names were both Mastronardi (what was they're real last names?)
What was your grandmother's first name & maiden name (your mother's mother) & her husband's name?
Do you know anything of the Mastronardi history?
Can you pass this on to your uncles & aunt (Jimmy, Rita, Julio, Vito, Victor) if they know anything?
From what I found from manifests is that my grandfather Giuseppe came from Castellana Bari Italy in the early 1900's.
If you have any information I would appreciate it.
Have I emailed you before? If not I was going to. If I did sorry for the repeat.
Thank you for your time.
Again, sorry for your loss.
Regards,
Geraldine (Geri Martin) Clark
147 Ott Rd., Greene NY 13778
ottroad@hotmail.com
https://sites.google.com/a/binghamton.e ... iza/family
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

www.findagrave.com
Vito Mastronardi
Birth: Nov. 29, 1892
Death: Jan. 20, 1936
Burial: Calvary Cemetery Johnson City
Broome County New York, USA
Record added: Nov 25, 2012
Find A Grave Memorial# 101246874
Added by: Paul R
Cemetery Photo Added by: Sharon
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

from censuses, they were married in 1917; Carmella was 14 and Vito was 24; where I don't know.
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

I can't find any Italian birth records for Vito. I can't find any death records for Vito.
Do you know how he died in 1936 (in Binghamton NY?)? Did find his burial at Calvary Cemetery Johnson City (29 November 1892 to 20 January 1936). Is his birth date correct? Did Vito have a different name? Was Vito his middle name? If Francesco Mastronardi was his father there is no record of Angela Comes as his mother. I can't find any info on Vito until the Binghamton NY censuses. They show he was married at age 24 and Carmella was 14 (abt 1917). They show he immigrated about 1912 and Carmella abt 1917. Do you know who his siblings were? Was he adopted? Someone mentioned he had step-sisters??? Can't find birth info on Carmella either (Tusto,Twisto,Testa,Tuosto?)
geliza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by geliza »

Dee: You are in this video (is that your father Vincent?) and who are the 2 handsome boys?
Mastronardi family reunion at Chenango Valley State Park 1963
https://youtu.be/ifFCeyjizi0