Genotti or Genitti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
itserickas1972

Genotti or Genitti

Postby itserickas1972 » 15 Dec 2008, 03:47

my grandfathers last name was changed to Genotti when he arrived on Ellis Island by a clerk that couldnt understand him well or just didnt care about how our name should be spelt. I believe the correct spelling is Genitti. Is there anyone on this site that may be connected to him or anyone else in my family? He was born in Italy and all I know is that he was Northern Italian. thanks!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Genotti or Genitti

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Dec 2008, 03:57

Ships ma nfiests of arriving passengers inthe USA were prepared in Italy prior to departure and based upon Italian government documents so I hardly think anyone here in the USA changed anything at time of arrival.

It maybe that the manifest is handwritten and looks like it may have a different spelling or it is mispelled by the clerk in Italy who prepared
the manfiest but that mistake does not occur too often but it has happened.

You furnuished us with no arrival date nor port of entry so we cannot double check what you are stating. Please furnishthe details so that his manifest many be examined so that we can assit you in arriving at the truth if at all possible and the true spelli ng of his surname. =Peter=

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 15 Dec 2008, 06:31

my grandfathers last name was changed to Genotti when he arrived on Ellis Island

A very good article written about this common myth for further insight:

They changed our name at Ellis Island

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 15 Dec 2008, 14:34

Dear Lee I should sue them for plagiarism shouldn't I?? =Peter=

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 15 Dec 2008, 15:34

People from Northern Italy were very often leaving from French ports so lists were prepared by French clerks. If you add the fact that sometimes those passengers were illiterate, who could check if the spelling was correct?
Anyway, Genitti is not a Northern surname. On the contrary Genotti is from Northern Italy. If your ancestor was a Northern Italian then he would have probably come from Piedmont region but the surname should have been Genotti.

Ada

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 16 Dec 2008, 14:26

I should sue them for plagiarism shouldn't I??

Works for me!! :lol:

who could check if the spelling was correct?

Very true, spelling mistakes were all to common, but the fact remains that Ellis Island didn't go around issuing new names to immigrants.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Italian Genealogy”