Conscription Records (Registro di leva)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Conscription Records (Registro di leva)

Postby blujay » 16 Dec 2008, 11:11

Hello,
I'm interested in pursuing conscription records (registro di leva)for my great great grandfather in Italy. As some of you know, these records hold a large amount of genealogical data. My only problem is I can only approximate my GG grandfather's birth to be abt 1856 (which would have required him under law to register for the military at the age of eighteen in 1874). The birth date might not be accurate enough. I've already started contacting the archivio di stato in Taranto via email but hesitate to send a formal letter of request.
Has anyone been through this process or knows of any strategy that might lead me to succeed in my endeavor? :D

Thanks,
blujay

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Conscription Records (Registro di leva)

Postby wldspirit » 16 Dec 2008, 14:12

Do you have the names of both parents, including mother's maiden name
as this is how she would appear in any Italian records?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Dec 2008, 15:10

Sooner or later you will have to send the Archivio di Stato a letter in Italian with the required information in a form letterin italian language which you will find at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italy_tools.html

I suspect that an approximate date is acceptable since writing for birth.marriage or death records they do accept +/- 5 to 10 years at the Comune level. You could also check the microfilmof the ciivl records of the family town of origin in Taranto province and find the actual date of birth. These microfilm records for Southern Italy are readily available save for war,fire, earthquake damage. =Peter=

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 16 Dec 2008, 23:22

wldspirit wrote:Do you have the names of both parents, including mother's maiden name
as this is how she would appear in any Italian records?
wldspirit

No, I'm trying to work further back in time.
I had known my great grandfather's name (Ernesto Dell'Aquila), birth date (14 Sep 1884) and birthplace (Grottaglie) for a long time but my paternal grandfather (Consalvo Dell'Aquila - he's 96!) told me that his paternal grandparent's names were Michele Dell'Aquila and Maria ____. Michele was a shoemaker and before my grandfather Consalvo came to the United States in 1921, he paid him and his wife a visit.
Always wanting to find Maria's maiden name (my GG grandmother), I decided to email the stato civile in Grottaglie to ask them where to send a letter requesting my great grandfather's (Ernesto) birth extract from Sep 1884. To my utter surprise, I received a response four days letter with the exact birth date of Ernesto as well as the names of his parents (my GG grandparents) DELL'AQUILA Antonio Vinenzo and NISI Maria Giuseppa.
Of course not being totally satisfied, I am trying to find the birth dates and parents names of my GG grandparents Antonio and Maria.
I know my G grandfather Ernesto was the youngest of 4 children. His oldest brother, Nicola, came to the United States as well in the early 1920's but went back to Italy a year later. He didn't take a liking to Manhattan very well (must have been a traumatic transition from Grottaglie!)
My grandfather has told me the approximate birth date of Nicola to be about 1878. If his parents (my GG grandparent's) were married a year or two sooner, 1877 or earlier, there might be a good chance Antonio (my GG grandfather) might turn up in the registri di leva if his birth date was after 1855. These records would have his exact birth date and names of his parents.
What I am also looking to do is find the marriage extract of my GG grandparents (Antonio and Maria). The extract should have their ages (not their birth dates) and their parents names (my GGG grandparents!). I have read that only the marriage certificate and not the extract has the birth dates of the bride and groom so I may have to request both.

Thank you for your interest and I hope this thread wasn't too overwhelming for you or anyone who might be reading it in the future.

Take care,
blujay
:D

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 16 Dec 2008, 23:34

PeterTimber wrote:Sooner or later you will have to send the Archivio di Stato a letter in Italian with the required information in a form letterin italian language which you will find at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/italy_tools.html

I suspect that an approximate date is acceptable since writing for birth.marriage or death records they do accept +/- 5 to 10 years at the Comune level. You could also check the microfilmof the ciivl records of the family town of origin in Taranto province and find the actual date of birth. These microfilm records for Southern Italy are readily available save for war,fire, earthquake damage. =Peter=

Hi Peter,
I plan to write the formal letter to the archivio di stato in Taranto only when I feel more securely about my information.
I knew about the microfilmed records but didn't know Taranto's archives (including Grottaglie's) had been indexed. How would one specifically find this information?

Thanks Peter,
blujay
:D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 17 Dec 2008, 03:29

Go to the nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location nearest your home) and rent out the microfilm of the ciivl records Birth,marriage and death for about $5.50 which usually date from 1809 or thereabouts to 1900. Bring along a book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson which is the companion book for the microfilms and a magnifyiing glass for close inspection of the handwritten reecords if necessary. =Peter=

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 17 Dec 2008, 07:43

PeterTimber wrote:Go to the nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location nearest your home) and rent out the microfilm of the ciivl records Birth,marriage and death for about $5.50 which usually date from 1809 or thereabouts to 1900. Bring along a book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson which is the companion book for the microfilms and a magnifyiing glass for close inspection of the handwritten reecords if necessary. =Peter=

Will do! Thanks Peter!

Regards,
Jason

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 20 Dec 2008, 04:50

I received an official document via email from the archivio di stato in Taranto stating they only have land military (army?) records from 1868 - 1937 and sea military (navy?) records from 1877-1920. The contents of the document:

Oggetto: DELL'AQUILA ANTONIO VINCENZO
nato a Grottaglie nell'atto 1855 (presumibilmente)
richiesta consultazione liste di leva della provincia di Taranto

In riferimento alla Sua richiesta in oggetto del 14/12/2008 si precisa quanto segue.
Presso il nostro Istituto sono conservati solo i registri relativi alle liste di leva di terra per gli anni 1868- 1937 e quelli relativi alle liste di leva di mare per gli anni 1877 - 1920, quindi non e possibile effettuare alcuna ricerca per l'anno che Le interessa.
Distinti saluti.

I do not think my GG grandfather served in the military but if he was eligible as an 18 yr-old male, he would have had to register. If the records start from 1868, does that mean that they have information on all registered men beginning in 1850? I did mention registri di leva in my email but maybe they confused that with military service? Is there a better translation for conscription records? Where should I go from here?
If I send a formal letter, I fear I am just going to receive the same document with the same information or lack there of.

Thanks,
blujay

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Dec 2008, 13:45

It means that they have no military army records (registro di leva included) prior to 1868 and no miltary records for navy prior to 1877 so they cannot conduct any research as you requested.

You know things happens to records, war, fire, flooding destroy records and this is what they have available. The only other records available are in specialized Ministry of Difense offices in Rome for soldiers or sailors who died in battle and received a medal or medals. =Peter=

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 Dec 2008, 04:36

Peter,
What frustrates me is if my GG grandfather was born ca 1855, then he would not have been eligible for military service until 1873. They do have records after 1868. It is this portion of their response I just don't comprehend. Maybe they thought he may have been eligible in 1855?
I don't know.
I'm going to attempt to get the marriage extract and get a more accurate date of birth. Does the marriage certificate have the birth dates of the bride and groom? Should I ask for both the extract and the certificate?

Thanks,
blujay :D

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Dec 2008, 05:10

You bring up a good point since he would have to be 18 years of age when reporting for conscription which would put him in 1873 give or take a year or so each way and should be in their records for the '"draft list for land"(alleliste di leva di terra).

Sending an e-mail may not be as good as a formal letter as they confused his birth year with his 18th birthday. If you are sure you know when he was born then just write a formal letter (see www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html for writing a form letter to the provincial miltary records.

If you are unsure then request ESTRATTIO DI NASCITA (birth extracts) and ESTRATTO DI MATRIMONIO (marriage records if you feel that is necessary since birth will give youthe year of birth. =Peter=

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 Dec 2008, 19:26

Thanks Peter.
I've read that most vital records before 1860 are held in the archivio di stato of the provencia. In my case, for birth extracts, it would entail writing the archivio di stato in Taranto instead of the comune in Grottaglie. Is this true? Which one would you suggest writing to? Should I just write to both?

Thanks again,
blujay

Return to “Italian Genealogy”