Death record enquiry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Death record enquiry

Postby nrepole » 18 Dec 2008, 07:26

Hi all
My uncle, REPOLE Carmine (born 26.7.1927 in Rapone, Potenza), passed away 4.7.1953, apparently in a hospital in Cosenza in Calabria. He died from tuberculosis. Another uncle told me that the hospital handled the burial in Cosenza - the family never attended the funeral. Would I be able to get a copy of his death record? Are they only released to the public after 75 years? If I can, how would I go about it - who would I need to contact? And also, my mother said that they suspect he got tuberculosis from his time in military service (which he did around Rome). Was this common around that era?

Appreciate any help,
Nick

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Death record enquiry

Postby ricbru » 18 Dec 2008, 08:45

nrepole wrote:Hi all
My uncle, REPOLE Carmine (born 26.7.1927 in Rapone, Potenza), passed away 4.7.1953, apparently in a hospital in Cosenza in Calabria. He died from tuberculosis. Another uncle told me that the hospital handled the burial in Cosenza - the family never attended the funeral. Would I be able to get a copy of his death record? Are they only released to the public after 75 years? If I can, how would I go about it - who would I need to contact? And also, my mother said that they suspect he got tuberculosis from his time in military service (which he did around Rome). Was this common around that era?

Appreciate any help,
Nick

Dear Nick,
you can request from Cosenza civil record office, his death certificate (where you find name, place and date of death, and number of record), for the real record you need to wait 70 years from the death.
The real record do not state the reason of his death.
To have the certificate write to

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza dei Bruzi
CAP 87100
Cosenza - Italy

You may request his hospital record, but I do not know if they realease it for you, because there are many infos that can not be given to anyone or for genealogy purpose. Those infos are proteceted by the privacy law

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

I hope it helps

nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nrepole » 18 Dec 2008, 09:07

Many thanks Riccardo.
Just one question: is there a special name for the certificate or is it called a 'certificato di morte'? Please excuse my Italian.

Regards,
Nick

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 18 Dec 2008, 09:09

Yes, but I suggest you to request "Estratto per riassunto dell'atto di morte, in formato plurilingue" - Pluringual format of Death abstract

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nrepole » 18 Dec 2008, 09:11

Many thanks Riccardo.

Nick

nrepole
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nrepole » 18 Dec 2008, 09:50

Is there an e-mail address I can try for the comune in Cosenza?

Nick

ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby ricbru » 18 Dec 2008, 09:52

i do not think so, i deeply suggest you to write via regular mail, in many cases email do not work properly
bye Riccardo

Return to “Italian Genealogy”