la Lista di Leva

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

la Lista di Leva

Postby Tamberino » 20 Dec 2008, 15:59

What is "la Lista di Leva"? I wrote the provincial capital of my comune for my great great grandfather's birth record and the said that they had this. I am not sure what it is and if I would be able to use it to gain dual citizenship.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: la Lista di Leva

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Dec 2008, 16:26

Conscription (draft) records for military service. Do you have form letters in Italian to make such request? =Peter=

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 21 Dec 2008, 20:26

You are very lucky. I have not been successful in attempting to obtain my GG grandfather's Liste di leva. It should contain valuable genealogical information including the names of his parents (your GGG grandparents!).

As far as dual citizenship, I honestly do not know but there are websites that have this information. Surf the internet and you'll find them quite easily.

Good luck,
blujay

Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tamberino » 22 Dec 2008, 15:37

I already have that information about him. I read his birth certificate already for a mircofilm from the local family center. His grandfather was Francesco. I just need a copy from the town.

Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tamberino » 22 Dec 2008, 15:40

As for Peter, please read the post before you reply next time. They wrote back to me saying that they have la Lista di Leva, why would I need a form letter? That wasn't even my question. But Thank you for telling me what it was.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Dec 2008, 15:52

Dear Tamberino you asked "what is la lista di leva" and I answered that question so why such a terse response?.....I gave you more than you asked for....abbondanza! =Peter=

MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MauroMags » 22 Dec 2008, 16:19

How far back does the lista di leva go? Would i be able to find a listing for my gg-grandfather who was born in 1838?

He would be 18 by 1856.

thanks,
Mauro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Dec 2008, 17:25

Conscription in Italy started in 1865. Depending on where he lived he may had to register for whoever were his task masters at the time. Italy after napoleon in 1815Italy, consisted of 11 jurisdictions. =Peter=

MauroMags
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MauroMags » 22 Dec 2008, 17:47

Hi Peter,

so my ggf would be 27 by the time conscription began. Do you think he would have been registered at that age?

He lived in Molfetta (BA) Puglia. I believe the lista de leva records for molfetta are held at the archivio in Barletta.

Thank you for the help,
Mauro

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Dec 2008, 21:46

Barletta is not the provincial capital for Molfetta. The military archives are in Bari.. During the pre- unification period the area was under the control of the Bourbons under the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies. =Peter=

idmaclean
Rookie
Rookie

Postby idmaclean » 24 Dec 2008, 18:55

Hi All,

First post here.

We were very fortunate to have my great grandfathers army papers from 1890. He was in the infantry in Verona. It does have a wealth of information. including the names of his parents names and date of birth. including i believe his mother's maiden name. He was born in 1864.

We also have his italian passport from 1895 when he came to the USA.

Without this information it would have been a bit harder tracing my great grandfathers steps.

When I sent a letter to his town where he was born I made sure to include copies of both documents to help find his birth certificate.

fingers crossed they have the original documents.

ZDPerry

Postby ZDPerry » 31 Mar 2009, 11:02

I have a few questions concerning the use of the Liste di leva. Perhaps Peter or some other kind member here can help me out.

Let me please give you some preliminary data:

I found Antonino Miano's birth in 1865 in the City of Milazzo in the Province of Messina. My wife's great-grandfather, Giuseppi Miano, was a known brother of this Antonino (parents names confirmed), but I cannot locate Giuseppi's birth in the Milazzo birth records using the Mormon microfilms. The birth records for the years 1861-1863 (the span I guess to be Giuseppi's birth) are unreadable for Milazzo as they are severely water damaged. Giuseppi came to America around 1877, according to a census record, and he married in 1885 in Portsmouth, Virginia. Giuseppi Miano's birth date is recorded as 1865 on his headstone, but that is probably in error as his age is all over the place on the various census, church, death records. Antonino Miano married in the City of Messina in 1893 and he emigrated to America in 1895.

In Trafford Cole's book "Italian Records", in his discussion on Alternative Record Sources, Cole makes this statement concerning leaving the country (Italy) in relation to draft board responsibilities: ... [name] "left the country for the United States without reporting to the (draft) board and was declared eligible to serve as of July 1908. In this period, males sixteen years of age or older were not allowed to emigrate or leave the country even temporarily without permission from the draft board."

Question 1: When was "this period"? If the period about which Cole is speaking started in 1865, then I have a great chance of finding a record for Giuseppi Miano in the Province of Messina.

Question 2: Would the Italian Draft Board have listed Giuseppi Miano on the Registro di leva if Giuseppi left Sicily prior to age 16? If Giuseppi Miano actually came to America in 1877 at an age younger than 18 (say ages 12 through 15), would the Registro di leva still list Giuseppi Miano?

Since Antonino Miano is known to have been born in 1865 in Milazzo, I am hoping to find his draft registration for 1883 in the Province of Messina as that will at least give his place of residence (and the place of residence for his parents Pasquale Miano and Rosaria Lo Coco) in the year 1883.

Thank you in advance for any help offered!

Zane

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 31 Mar 2009, 14:23

Tamberino wrote:As for Peter, please read the post before you reply next time. They wrote back to me saying that they have la Lista di Leva, why would I need a form letter? That wasn't even my question.

May I remind you Tamberino that we are all here to help one another, there is no need to be rude. A simple Thank You would have sufficed.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”