Vecchiulla family name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fredericitaly

Vecchiulla family name

Postby fredericitaly » 20 Dec 2008, 20:15

I am also searching for a Maria Leonarda Vecchiulla. The last name Vecchiulla is quite rare - I'm not finding it at all in the Familysearch.org site, nor the ellis island site.
She was born in Italy, lived there her whole life. I can't find the name anywhere in this spelling. I find Vecchiola, but not Vecchiulla.

Any ideas?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Vecchiulla family name

Postby PeterTimber » 20 Dec 2008, 23:38

Vecchiola is not listed inthe italian surname dictionary but Vecchiuzzo is listed as a alteration or derivation of the base surname Vecchi.

Vecchiuzzo appears to be from the Molise region and by stretch of spelling could/would include Vecchiuzza and Vecchiulla but there is nothing to document this "STRETCH OF SPELLING". There are further alterations and derivations in and around the Genova area such as Veggi and Vegiu. =Peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Dec 2008, 03:10

I found Vecchiulli and Vecchiullo all from the same place. Are any of these a possibility?

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 21 Dec 2008, 05:39

Molise is the same area I pinpointed in Campobasso province to more exact. Misbris you found the missing pieces in lieu of my stretch in spelling phraseology on the NY arrival record. Good show old girl. =peter=

misbris
Master
Master

Postby misbris » 21 Dec 2008, 21:20

By using the Steve Morse pages, you can search by partial spelling. it makes it soooo much easier. Thanks, ( I'll ignore the "old girl") :wink:

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 22 Dec 2008, 03:34

Old girl is an english phrase not directed at you personally akin to what Dr Watson would say in one of those english mysteries. ( I feel english today)=Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”