Family Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Ginnie

Family Name

Postby Ginnie » 23 Dec 2008, 15:05

I am looking for my Grandparents Surname Gatti, Grandfathers first name Fortunato in the Genoa area.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Family Name

Postby PeterTimber » 23 Dec 2008, 15:58

In Italy most records,history are in the city, town or village of origin. =Peter=

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 23 Dec 2008, 17:12

There is a Fortunato Gatti arriving 11 Mar 1911. Born about 1889, age on arrival was 22. Going to Stockton, California to brother Domenico, born in Rochetta. On the ship La Provence.

Could this be him? Rochetta appears to be a hamlet of the current town of Cengio in the Province of Savona, Luguria Region. Genova is in the Liguria Region as well.

Ginnie

Postby Ginnie » 23 Dec 2008, 17:29

Thank you, but he would be to young. His daughter Annetta, is my grandmother she was born in 1885 - 86. Might be a brother ? I know nothing more about them, other than on the manifest from the ship it states her father was in Varazzo. and she was born in Campomorone.

Essgee
Master
Master

Postby Essgee » 23 Dec 2008, 18:41

Ginnie wrote:Thank you, but he would be to young. His daughter Annetta, is my grandmother she was born in 1885 - 86. Might be a brother ? I know nothing more about them, other than on the manifest from the ship it states her father was in Varazzo. and she was born in Campomorone.

Will continue to look then. However, had you given us that information in by not the original post, would have saved time not posting what is wrong. When you first post, give us all that you know. It really helps.

Fortunato is unlikely to be a brother...sons were not named after the father. So it could be a cousin...or just another Gatti in the same region.

Who did Annetta marry, when, and where did she settle in the US? You probably need to write the comune for the birth records, but let's see what is available first. Everyone here is great finding things.

Back later if I find more.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 26 Dec 2008, 15:45

Welcome to IG!!
As member Essgee stated, more information is needed to conduct a search and provide you with accurate records.
Genealogy is best done by starting with yourself and working backwards one generation at a time. If you have hit a brickwall with your grandmother, then we can possibly help.
Full names of both husband and wife, children, any known birthdates, even a year, place of birth, immigration and in which US state/city did they live in or first immigrate to.
The more detail you can provide, the better our members can help you in your search!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

Return to “Italian Genealogy”