Carollo Surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tcarollo

Carollo Surname

Postby tcarollo » 31 Dec 2008, 07:51

I am looking for information about the Carollo surname. My great-grandfather Giacomo Carollo was born on Apr. 19, 1885. I believe he was from Terrisini. He immigrated to the U.S. on Feb. 16, 1901. He was married to Josephine "Ciluffo" Carollo.

I have found one 1910 census record from St. Louis, MO that has a Giacomo Carollo listed that would be approx. the correct age (25) and having the correct immigration year listed (1901). Since I know he used to live in St. Louis, given the facts above, I can reasonably assume that this is my great-grandfather.

The census says that his relationship to the head of the house is "brother-in-law", so I would assume that the wife listed "Agnese Catalfio" is his sister. However, the only Agnese Carollo I can find immigration records for doesn't seem to match up age wise, when comparing ship manifests to the census records. The census records show them being about 6y apart. If I use the Agnese Carollo I found the manifest for, then they would be more like 3y apart.

Are there any records or places I could look that might help identify any of Giacomo's siblings or parents?

Thanks,

TC

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Carollo Surname

Postby pink67 » 31 Dec 2008, 09:17

Hi TCarollo,

don't know if this document can be helpful but on this death certificate for Alexandro Catalfio (Salvatore and Agnese's son) his mother is listed as Gnese Carollo (shortly of Agnese)...

From: http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resource ... es/#search

Alexando Catalfio July 24, 1913 St. Louis City St. Louis City 24912

Image:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/TIF2PDFConsumer/D ... 227892.pdf

Salvatore Catalfio January _, 1952 Clinton 10868

Image:
http://www.sos.mo.gov/TIF2PDFConsumer/D ... 530422.pdf

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 31 Dec 2008, 13:36

Just to help you better, can you tell if these records are belonging to your great-grandfather?

1920 United States Federal Census
about Jake Carolo
Name: Jake Carolo
Home in 1920: Nokomis, Montgomery, Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Own
Year of Immigration: 1902
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 550
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jake Carolo 34 head
Josephine Carolo 24 wife
Fannie Carolo 8 daughter, bron in Missouri
Peter Carolo 7 son, born in Missouri
Sanny Carolo 6 son, born in Missouri
Vevian Carolo 4 6/12 daughter, born in Missouri

[img=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7693/carollo1920censusillzx1.th.jpg]

Military Enlistment for the first World War

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Giacomo Carollo
Name: Giacomo Carollo
City: Not Stated (Nokomis)
County: Montgomery
State: Illinois

Birth Date: 19 Apr 1885
Race: White
Roll: 1614365
DraftBoard: 0
Wife Giuseppina Carollo

Image:

Laura :)

JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Postby JamesBianco » 31 Dec 2008, 14:07

I have a cousin who has extracted Terrasini records from the church (Baptism & Marriage). Her name is Angelina (eyetalgal) on my Carini forum.

I would post there a query, I know she checks every day for new messages.

here is the link:

Carini Exchange Forum

Best of luck to you!

Jim Bianco

tcarollo

Postby tcarollo » 31 Dec 2008, 21:35

That Nakomis Census was a great find! I hadn't seen that one before. The names are spelled incorrectly, but that's sure them. Thank you.

Also, the death certificate search didn't help with my great-grandfather Giacomo Carollo specifically, but it did give me some more information about other relatives that I didn't have information on. Since he apparently died after 1957, I should be able to order a copy of the death certificate for him and get some information that way too.

I'll try the Carini Exchange as well. That sounds promising.

At this point I think my great-grandfather had a sister named Agnes, perhaps a sister named Grazia, and possibly a brother named Francesco (birth Dec 23, 1873). Francesco's father and mother were named Petro Carollo and Fara La Fata respectively, so perhaps I can use that information to confirm siblings of my grand-father, if indeed Giacomo and Francesco are brothers.

I really need to get my hands on a copy of Giacomo's death certificate as my next step I think. Thanks again for all the help.

Also, I noticed on the Missouri death certificate for my Great-great-Grandmother Vita Ciluffo that her husband Salvatore Gregori has the same last name as her father Anthony Gregori, and neither of them share her last name. Any idea what's going on there?

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 31 Dec 2008, 22:33

Salvatore 'Gregori' looks like a clerical error.

my file shows she married Salvatore Cilluffo in Terrasini on 4/7/1880. his parents - Clemente Cilluffo and Anna Tocco - her parents: Antonino Gregori (aka Gregoli, Di Gregorio, di Grigoli) and Rosalia Pellerito.

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 31 Dec 2008, 22:48

I show Pietro Carollo & Fara La Fata married 7/21/1870 in Terrasini. I've looked for children Giacomo & Agnesa because Fara's parents were Giacomo La Fata & Agnesa Bommarito. No luck yet. The church marriage record for Pietro and Fara indicates they were from Favarotta. Pietro's mother Serafina Tocco was from Cinisi.

I have Francesco as 'Francesco Paolo' (the same as Pietro's father) married to Giovanna La Fata on 1/22/1905 in Terrasini.

I've been thru as many Terrasini & Terrasini Favarotta files as I could find for the period you're researching and I haven't found Giacomo & Agnesa. I think you may need to look at Cinisi.

tcarollo

Postby tcarollo » 01 Jan 2009, 01:37

What about Giacomo and Agnese with an 'e' on the end. Does that make any difference?

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 01 Jan 2009, 01:42

sorry...no.

I tried it as agnesa, agnese, agnes, gnesa, etc. no luck.
Terrasini, Favarotta, & Cinisi are quite close - like Yonkers, Mt. Vernon & the Bronx.

I think your best bet is to try Cinisi.

tcarollo

Postby tcarollo » 01 Jan 2009, 07:08

eyetalgal wrote:Salvatore 'Gregori' looks like a clerical error.

my file shows she married Salvatore Cilluffo in Terrasini on 4/7/1880. his parents - Clemente Cilluffo and Anna Tocco - her parents: Antonino Gregori (aka Gregoli, Di Gregorio, di Grigoli) and Rosalia Pellerito.

Do you see Ciluffo spelled with 2 L's or just one? Vita Ciluffo spelled hers with just one, perhaps this was in error?

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 01 Jan 2009, 08:42

Cilluffo......

there are more ways to mispel the name than you can imagine. When I search for Cilluffo I look for Cilluffo, Ciluffo, Cillufo, Cilufo, Chilufo, Chelufio, even shilufo...and more mispellings than I can think of just now.

eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Postby eyetalgal » 01 Jan 2009, 09:17

Did you see this passenger in your search. She was traveling with Grazia Carollo.

First Name: Agnese
Last Name: Corollo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Palermo
Date of Arrival: Mar 22, 1903
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Washington
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0002

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 01 Jan 2009, 17:49

Eyetalgal wrote:I have Francesco as 'Francesco Paolo' (the same as Pietro's father) married to Giovanna La Fata on 1/22/1905 in Terrasini.

Here is Francesco paolo arrival in 1922, joining his brother Giacomo Carollo living on 3822 Lee Avenue, St.Louis, Missouri and leaving in Italy his wife Lafata Giovanna. He was in the U.S. from 1900 to 1912 ( :?: )

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about F Paolo Carollo
Name: F Paolo Carollo
Arrival Date: 8 Jul 1922
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Europa
Search Ship Database: View the Europa in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Sicily
Line: 25
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_3139
Birth Location: Sicily
Birth Location Other: terrasini
Page Number: 141

pag. 1:
[img=http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8154/carollofrancescopaolo19is4.th.jpg]

pag.2:
[img=http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9587/carollofrancescopaolo19aq8.th.jpg]

Laura

Maybe Francesco's first arrival in 1900?
(final destination St. Louis - Mich?)

about Francesco Carolls
Name: Francesco Carolls
Arrival Date: 6 Mar 1900
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1873
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Spartan Prince
Search Ship Database: Search the Spartan Prince in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_105
Page Number: 241

[img=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6298/carollofrancesco1900arrhn1.th.jpg]

and second arrival in 1906, after his marriage on 1905?

about Francesco Carollo
Name: Francesco Carollo
Arrival Date: 30 May 1906
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Port of Departure: Palermo, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Lazio
Search Ship Database: Search the Lazio in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Line: 10
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_718
Page Number: 58

Destination: St. Louis to join his brother in law Carollo Salvatore, he was in U.S. before, from 1901 to 1904...

[img=http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8028/crollofrancesco1906arrimb7.th.jpg]

tcarollo

Postby tcarollo » 02 Jan 2009, 05:22

eyetalgal wrote:Did you see this passenger in your search. She was traveling with Grazia Carollo.

First Name: Agnese
Last Name: Corollo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Palermo
Date of Arrival: Mar 22, 1903
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Washington
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0002

I did see that, but the dates are off, so I didn't know if that Agnese was indeed his sister Agnese or not.

Let me explain...

I found a Missouri 1910 census on Ancestry.com that listed Giacomo Carollo, with a matching birthdate (1885), living with his brother-in-law in St. Louis. So the wife Agnese would have to be his sister.

However...

According to a Missouri 1910 census, Gicomo was 25 and Agnese was 31 at the time. The age would be correct for Giacomo, but if this is the same Agnese that came to the U.S. with Grazia, then how could she be 31 in 1910 if she was only 20 in 1903? That would mean she aged 11 years in 8 years time. I guess someone could have made a clerical error though?

This is what confuses me and makes me wonder if this is indeed the correct Agnese. If it is, then this also means that Giacomo had a second sister named Grazia.

tcarollo

Postby tcarollo » 02 Jan 2009, 06:20

eyetalgal wrote:I show Pietro Carollo & Fara La Fata married 7/21/1870 in Terrasini. I've looked for children Giacomo & Agnesa because Fara's parents were Giacomo La Fata & Agnesa Bommarito. No luck yet. The church marriage record for Pietro and Fara indicates they were from Favarotta. Pietro's mother Serafina Tocco was from Cinisi.

I have Francesco as 'Francesco Paolo' (the same as Pietro's father) married to Giovanna La Fata on 1/22/1905 in Terrasini.

I've been thru as many Terrasini & Terrasini Favarotta files as I could find for the period you're researching and I haven't found Giacomo & Agnesa. I think you may need to look at Cinisi.

So let me see if I have this right...

Francesco Paolo Carollo (1873), Giacomo's brother (1885), married Giovanna La Fata on 1/22/1905. His father, Pietro Carollo, married Fara La Fata on 7/21/1870. Two La Fata's married by father and son? Pietro's father was also named Francesco Paolo Carollo and he married Serafina Tocco.

????

Return to “Italian Genealogy”