Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
32 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby LoNigro » 07 Jan 2009, 06:00

Hello all, I've really just began working on my Lo Nigro family genealogy, and have them originating in Piana dei Greci, just outside of Palermo Sicily before coming to the states. I'm wondering if there is an online database containing birth records and marriages and such from that region of Sicily.

My great grandfather whom immigrated was Nicolo Lo Nigro, born abt. 1890 in Piana dei Greci. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1912 via the SS Canada sailing from Palermo to Ellis Island, before finishing his journey to New Orleans and on to Chicago. That immigration record also lists his father as Vincent Lo Nigro, though I have no information on him. My great grandmother was Giovanna or Dominica Clesceri also born in the same region in 1901 though she left Italy for Chicago in 1902. I understand the Clesceri name to be quite numerous in Piana, but have no further information.

Anything about that area would be quite helpful, or if anyone already has records containing either of these people. Thanks!

BTW is anyone familiar with the Lo Nigro and Clesceri names and could possibly tell me if they are descendants of the Greco-Albanians whom settles Piana dei Greci? A meaning of the surname Clesceri would also be great.
User avatar
LoNigro
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 05:38

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby PeterTimber » 07 Jan 2009, 14:55

There is a website for persons who wish to make in depth inquiries into Arberesh surnames at www.leaptoad.com/lists/arbdirectory.php3 for not only Sicily but for areas beyond Sicily into southern Italy as well. =Peter=
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby liviomoreno » 07 Jan 2009, 17:58

Piana dei Greci has changed name into Piana degli Albanesi since 1941.
You may have some info about Piana degli Albanasi following this link:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/sicilia/pianadeglialbanesi.html
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 01:00
Location: Rome, Italy

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby LoNigro » 07 Jan 2009, 20:12

Thank you two much for the replies. The information on Piana delgi Albanesi will be very helpful. As for the mailing list it appears to be not accepting new members atm, just my luck :(

Haha, thanks regardless!

Daniel Lo Nigro-Murphy
User avatar
LoNigro
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 05:38

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby Rainmaker » 12 Jan 2009, 11:04

There are the RIVELI (Census) records, you can lookup nearly EVERY SICILIAN village/town, to also obtain many records.

You will have to either visit the LDS (Mormon) Church in Salt Lake City, Utah (Family History Center) OR find your LOCAL LDS Family History Center and request the specific films you would like to research, which can be found on their website here.

Here's the link for the Sicilian Riveli or Census for the various years beginning in 1568 -to- 1911 LDS Family Search.org > Sicilian Riveli/Census Link

Finally, during the Spanish Inquisition of the late 15th century, many JEWS that lived in the Mediterranean changed their names. ONE OF THE MOST COMMON means by which they could identify themselves was to place the prefix "LO" before their surname.

Thus, many Sicilian families of Jewish faith/origin would be named Lo Nigro, Lo Guzzardo, Lo Lama, Lo Presci, etc. etc. Keep this in mind during your research.
User avatar
Rainmaker
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 10:55

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jan 2009, 15:15

Dear Rainmaker what is the source of your "LO" prefix to identify Jewish surnames??? If you go to www.sephardim.com there is no reference to LO GUZZARDO nor LAMA or PRESCI. Is this hearsay on your part? =Peter=
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby Jacobus » 12 Jan 2009, 15:39

Rainmaker wrote:
Finally, during the Spanish Inquisition of the late 15th century, many JEWS that lived in the Mediterranean changed their names. ONE OF THE MOST COMMON means by which they could identify themselves was to place the prefix "LO" before their surname.

Thus, many Sicilian families of Jewish faith/origin would be named Lo Nigro, Lo Guzzardo, Lo Lama, Lo Presci, etc. etc. Keep this in mind during your research.


What's your source?

"LO" is a very common prefix in the south Italy. Never heard about a jewish origin.
User avatar
Jacobus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 14:09

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jan 2009, 16:21

Dear Rainmaker please note that I had to change the website url as I was advised the original link was broken and is reduced to www.sephardim.com

I do not know why the observation and question was duplicated. =Peter=
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby Jacobus » 12 Jan 2009, 16:35

LoNigro wrote:Hello all, I've really just began working on my Lo Nigro family genealogy, and have them originating in Piana dei Greci, just outside of Palermo Sicily before coming to the states. I'm wondering if there is an online database containing birth records and marriages and such from that region of Sicily.

My great grandfather whom immigrated was Nicolo Lo Nigro, born abt. 1890 in Piana dei Greci. He immigrated to the U.S. in 1912 via the SS Canada sailing from Palermo to Ellis Island, before finishing his journey to New Orleans and on to Chicago. That immigration record also lists his father as Vincent Lo Nigro, though I have no information on him. My great grandmother was Giovanna or Dominica Clesceri also born in the same region in 1901 though she left Italy for Chicago in 1902. I understand the Clesceri name to be quite numerous in Piana, but have no further information.

Anything about that area would be quite helpful, or if anyone already has records containing either of these people. Thanks!

BTW is anyone familiar with the Lo Nigro and Clesceri names and could possibly tell me if they are descendants of the Greco-Albanians whom settles Piana dei Greci? A meaning of the surname Clesceri would also be great.


Lo Nigro, in my opinion, is not an arberesh surname, maybe some people of greco-albanian origins assumed this surname, but Lo Nigro linguistically seems to be a more typical sicilian surname. Nigro and Negri are very common surname in Italy; Nigro (Lo Nigro) in south Italy, Negri (Negrini, De Negri, etc..) especially in the north Italy.
User avatar
Jacobus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 14:09

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby Jacobus » 12 Jan 2009, 16:36

PeterTimber wrote:I do not know why the observation and question was duplicated. =Peter=


Dear Peter, are you talking about my post?
User avatar
Jacobus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 14:09

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jan 2009, 19:09

Dear Daniel the surname dictionary does not list Clesceri as an italian surname so as a result it is considered to be either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter=
User avatar
PeterTimber
Master
Master
 
Posts: 6767
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 19:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby Jacobus » 12 Jan 2009, 19:24

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Daniel the surname dictionary does not list Clesceri as an italian surname so as a result it is considered to be either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. =Peter=


Clesceri seems to be the italianized form of an arberesh surname.

What "italian surname dictionary" are you using? De Felice?
User avatar
Jacobus
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 18
Joined: 12 Jan 2009, 14:09

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby LoNigro » 15 Jan 2009, 00:08

Thanks for the replies guys, it appears that my Lo Nigro family was actually more centralized in Palermo rather than Piana as I've found out, I want to say they lived in Piana back through the middle 1700s, originally coming there from Palermo though.

The Clesceris I know back until 1709 now, all in Piana. I have no idea how to date them further back.
User avatar
LoNigro
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 05:38

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby LoNigro » 15 Jan 2009, 00:14

Thanks for the replies guys, it appears that my Lo Nigro family was actually more centralized in Palermo rather than Piana as I've found out, I want to say they lived in Piana back through the middle 1700s, originally coming there from Palermo though.

The Clesceris I know back until 1709 now, all in Piana. I have no idea how to date them further back.
User avatar
LoNigro
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 Jan 2009, 05:38

Re: Lo Nigro records, Piana dei Greci

Postby mattn6_9 » 24 Feb 2009, 13:36

Hey Lonigro
Umm can you contact me by my email mattn6_9@hotmail.com because my mums maiden name is Lo Nigro and we are attempting to produce a family tree. Just wanting to see if there is any relation. As of now we are have been able to note down relatives to the early 1900s (my great grandparents Angelo and Santa Lonigro) . We havn't had much of a chance to get any deeper. My grandparents immigrated to Australia from a small town called Licudia Sicily and as of now we are aware that we would have relatives going back a couple of generations in the US and also theorised to be in Argentina.
Thanks
User avatar
mattn6_9
Newbie
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Feb 2009, 13:02

Next

32 posts • Page 1 of 31, 2, 3

Return to Italian Genealogy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests

Copyright © 2014. www.ItalianGenealogy.com.