Perrazio

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Perrazio

Postby adifresco » 08 Jan 2009, 05:36

My great-grandmother's name was Sabina DiFresco (maiden name Perrazio). I'm not certain about the spelling... I've seen it spelled Perrazio, Perazio, Perriazio, and Perrazzio in different records. Up until this point, I assumed that it was the more common surname Perazzo, but I was wrong.

She was born 11 Jun 1905 in New York and died 11 May 1981 in South Carolina.

I have been doing genealogy research for a few years now, and thought I had her branch of the family figured out. I recently discovered that I had the wrong family all along. There was another Sabina Perazzo roughly the same age who I had mistaken for my great-grandmother.

I made this post here in 2007 before I discovered the mistake:
Surname Perazzo?

Since then, I found a copy of my great-grandmother's obituary from 1981. It says "Sabina P. DiFresco, 75, of 2227 E. First St. Brooklyn, N.Y., died Monday. She was visiting her son, John J. DiFresco of Greenville. Also surviving are a daughter, Mrs. George Serbia of Orange, Calif.; son, James J. DiFresco of Brooklyn, N.Y.; sisters, Josephine Stalknecht of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., and Mildred Newman of Brooklyn, N.Y.; brothers Dominick Torpe of Stony Brook, N.Y., and George Torpe of Manhasset, N.Y."

My father recognized these names, but doesn't know anything else. My grandfather and everyone else mentioned in this obituary have passed away, except for my grandfather's sister. I am waiting to hear back from her.

I have managed to find these census records which I am now fairly certain are the correct family:

1920 U.S. Federal Census - New York
New York County, Manhattan Assembly District 23, Enumeration District 1501, page 10

Perriazio, James - head, age 39, immigrated in 1902, naturalized in 1908, born in Italy
- Florence, wife, age 46, immigrated in 1900, naturalized in 1908, born in Italy
- Sabbie, daughter, age 14, born in New York
- Marie, daughter, age 13, born in New York
- Millie, daughter, age 9, born in New York
- George, son, age 8, born in New York
- Torpe, Louis, son, age 18, born in New York
- Torpe, Dominic, son, age 17, born in New York

Next door:
- Torpe, James, head, age 23, immigrated in 1900, naturalized in 1910, born in Italy
- Emma, wife, age 19, immigrated 1907, naturalized in 1910, born in Austria

(Note: on the 1920 census, the last name is transcribed as Perringin when searching on ancestry.com. However, after looking at the actual image, I could easily tell it was spelled "Perriazio".)

1930 U.S. Federal Census - New York
Kings County, Brooklyn (Districts 1001-1250), Enumeration District 1165, page 21

Perrazio, James - head, age 50, born in Italy
- Florence, wife, age 57, born in Italy
- Josephine, daughter, age 23, born in New York City
- Mildred, daughter, age 19, born in New York City
- George, son, age 18, born in New York City

- Thorpe, Jimmie, step-son, age 34, born in Italy
- Emma, daughter-in-law, age 28, born in Italy
- Mary, niece, age 8, born in New York City
- Florence, niece, age 5, born in New York City
- Anna, niece, age 3, born in New York City

(My great-grandmother Sabina is not listed with the rest of the family in the 1930 census because she was married and living with her husband, Giovanni Di Fresco.)

I have also found marriage and death records for a few of her siblings.

I don't know for sure, but I assume that Sabina's mother Florence was previously married to a man with the last name Torpe, and that's where her older sons' names come from.

I haven't been able to find any immigration records for anyone in the family. Obviously James and Florence immigrated seperately. I don't know their Italian first names or where they were from in Italy.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Re: Perrazio

Postby uantiti » 08 Jan 2009, 12:32

Hi,
my home town is Biella, which is also a province in Piedmont region, NW Italy.
I know there are several people with a name similar to the one you are looking for and it is PERAZIO. Would this be the correct surname? Further more, many people from that area emigrated to USA.

Ada

uantiti
Elite
Elite

Postby uantiti » 08 Jan 2009, 12:38

Also note that at the beginning of 1900 Biella was under the province of Novara, so they could be listed as coming from Novara.

Ada

adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Postby adifresco » 08 Jan 2009, 20:18

Thanks.... Biella seems like a good possibility.

It's strange though because I've searched every possible New York immigration and naturalization record available, and I can't find anyone with a name and birthdate that's even close.

Does anyone know anything about the surname Torpe? I don't think it's Italian in origin, but these census records say that James Torpe was born in Italy.

Here are all the names I'm looking for just to be clear:

James Perrazio
- Born about 1880 in Italy
- Immigrated around 1902
- Naturalized around 1908

Florence Torpe or Florence Perrazio
- Born about 1873 in Italy
- Immigrated around 1900
- Naturalized around 1908

James Torpe
- Born about 1896 in Italy
- Immigrated around 1900
- Naturalized around 1910

Possible alternate spellings:
Perrazio, Perazio, Perrazzio, Perazzo, Perrazzo, Perriazio
Torpe, Thorpe

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Jan 2009, 01:18

Torpe appears to be a Sardinian surname. There is also a comune in Sardinia of that name. =Peter=

Return to “Italian Genealogy”