Can anyone Help ~ Name Meconi?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Tattie

Can anyone Help ~ Name Meconi?

Postby Tattie » 08 Jan 2009, 12:25

Hello,

I have just started with my search. I am carrying this on after my mum died in August last year so still trying to sort everyone out :lol:

I need to know (and I'm sorry :oops: )

1. How can you find out where the family came from in Southern Italy?
2. Can you get birth certificates of Italians born around 1800's to 1820's?
3. Are there records of people leaving Italy to come to Ireland?

I'm sorry but any help will be very much appreciated.

Tattie x

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone Help ~ Name Meconi?

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jan 2009, 12:34

Records in italy are inthe city,town or village of origin with duplicates at the provincial level. Most BMD ciivl records start in 1809 in Southern Italy and are freely available.

To locate this information and other family genealogy go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/fr ... earch.html

Therfe are form letters in Italian which can be used to write to Italy for documents once you know the place of origin. =Peter=

Tattie

Postby Tattie » 08 Jan 2009, 12:39

Oh Peter thank you so much!

As I said, I am fairly new to all this but I will start there!

Again thank you!

Tattie x

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Jan 2009, 16:58

If you give us the background information on what your reserachg objectives are we may be able to jump ahead for you and get you there faster since what may be insiginificant to you will be important for us...So let us in on what your up to?? =Peter=

Tattie

Postby Tattie » 09 Jan 2009, 13:34

PeterTimber wrote:If you give us the background information on what your reserachg objectives are we may be able to jump ahead for you and get you there faster since what may be insiginificant to you will be important for us...So let us in on what your up to?? =Peter=

Many thanks Peter, I apologise if this is long :oops:

My mum's Great Great Grandfather was called Louis Meconi from Southern Italy. He had one son, that we know of, called Domnic or Dominic (was known here in Belfast as Denis McConney). He was born in 1845. We know he came to Belfast (figure maker and moulder) and was married in 1877.

I am looking to find out any information on Louis Meconi ie.
birth/marriage/death certificates. Where they came from in Southern Italy? If he had any more children?

Also when did Domnic leave Italy, if records exist? I have read Italians could have arrived into Ireland through Londonderry, although not 100% on this!

As I am only starting out on this its confusing to know where to search so any information would be very much appreciated.

Tattie x

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Jan 2009, 13:54

Dear Tattie thanks now we canget started. Go to www.dia.ie which is a dcitonary of architects, builders and craftsmen born or working in Ireland from 1720 to 1940. See if he is listed in both names and if you know of what buildings on which he may have workled if known. =Peter=

Tattie

Postby Tattie » 09 Jan 2009, 13:59

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Tattie thanks now we canget started. Go to www.dia.ie which is a dcitonary of architects, builders and craftsmen born or working in Ireland from 1720 to 1940. See if he is listed in both names and if you know of what buildings on which he may have workled if known. =Peter=

Brilliant Peter,

I know of one chapel here in Belfast that he made figures for. I will have a look now and let you know if I find anything!

Once again many thanks for all your help so far!

Tattie

Tattie

Postby Tattie » 09 Jan 2009, 14:40

Peter,

Nothing on that website unfortunately! Thanks for giving it to me!

I have also noticed that I have spelt McCooney wrong...... I had McConney, when in fact its McCooney!

Tattie xo

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jan 2009, 15:52

you sure that your ancestor came from southern Italy? Meconi is a surname of Tuscany region, and especially Lucca province.... because your ancestor was a figure marker it is very possible that he was born in Lucca area... best regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Tattie

Postby Tattie » 09 Jan 2009, 16:05

suanj wrote:you sure that your ancestor came from southern Italy? Meconi is a surname of Tuscany region, and especially Lucca province.... because your ancestor was a figure marker it is very possible that he was born in Lucca area... best regards,
suanj

Suanj, erm something to think about! I have mum's notes and it states Southern Italy although that could be wrong. I will have another look in the notes to see if I can see where she got the info.

Louis Meconi was a Mill Worker, from what we can see on his son's Dominic's marriage certificate. Dominic, whilst in Belfast was the figure maker!

Thanks for that!

Tattie

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 09 Jan 2009, 16:57

and by censuses, you found some other details abt italian birthplace? especially in 1891 and 1901 censuses...
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

NYMeconis

Postby NYMeconis » 01 Jul 2011, 19:38

I am a 3rd Generation Meconi in New York but my great Grandfather moved from domazzano Italia (in the Lucca province as mentioned above) He named one of his sons (my Grandfather) Louis, So in other words my grandfather was a Louis Meconi as well. I have to wonder if are distantly related? Good luck in your search I hope you find this helpful.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”