Liste di Leva

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Liste di Leva

Postby lilbees » 10 Jan 2009, 14:21

Question! When it became a requirement to register for the draft in Italy in 1865, did all males have to register regardless of age or was it just for those turning 18?

The reason I ask is I have 6 males born 1841 to 1852. Other than the last 2, would the others have to register as well?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Liste di Leva

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Jan 2009, 16:35

Conscription of all males at 18 yeards of age was instituted in 1865...even those disabled. As a consequence every Italian male who was born from about 1850 on up is listed save those who left the country at an early age. =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 10 Jan 2009, 16:39

So I am dead on the water for those born before 1850!

Maybe not...........

The only other thing I can think of is possibly active military service for some of the older ones since they remained in or near their place of birth?

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 10 Jan 2009, 17:28

The word I used is about 1850 ..+/- =Peter=

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 11 Jan 2009, 02:51

You are right. You did say About.

Thanks Peter

Thanks for you information regarding Kathy.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 11 Jan 2009, 22:47

I have found the Lista di Leva in some towns from 1809. The lists were prepared from the baptism registers of the church for the years before civil registration began. Not all towns preserved the lists and I do know that the Provincial Archives in Frosinone 'didn't hve room for everything' so didn't preserve the ones that were sent to them. They kept only the military records for those who actually served. The Lista di Leva contains notations of those who died, were 'only sons', married and therefore not eligible, reasons for exclusion like malformed feet, etc. or even those excused because they were the sole sustainer of the family.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 12 Jan 2009, 03:33

ALL MALES HAVE TO REGISTER AT AGE 18 DESPITE ANY HANDICAPS.=Peter=

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 12 Jan 2009, 05:44

People do not have to register, they are automatically registered by the authority.

lilbees
Master
Master

Postby lilbees » 12 Jan 2009, 11:32

I DO APPRECIATE THE NOTES OF INFORMATION AND ENCOURAGEMENT.

THERE MAY STILL BE HOPE IN FINDING MORE INFORMATION ABOUT MY FAMILY.

THANK YOU ALL.

lilbees

ZDPerry

Postby ZDPerry » 07 Apr 2009, 11:36

PeterTimber wrote:Conscription of all males at 18 yeards of age was instituted in 1865...even those disabled. As a consequence every Italian male who was born from about 1850 on up is listed save those who left the country at an early age. =Peter=

What is considered "an early age"? Is the answer to that question "it depends on who was recording the information"?

My wife's ancestor left perhaps as young as age 15 while his parents remained in Sicily (we think he might have been a stowaway). Would a fifteen year old boy born in the 1860s still be listed during the mid-1870s on the list?

I am awaiting the microfilm of the list to review it all the same. I will update my post after reviewing the microfilm.

Thanks,

Zane

Return to “Italian Genealogy”