ASIANO - Can anyone advise?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Misstree

ASIANO - Can anyone advise?

Postby Misstree » 11 Jan 2009, 07:31

I would really appreciate some help with some general questions. I am trying to trace my Grandad's family in Asti. All I know is their last name is ASIANO - not very helpful I know.

My Grandad's name is 'Giuseppe Asiano' (known as Joe here in Australia)..he came to Australia in 1951 - I think on the Sorrento or Surriento?...

Could anyone please advise me on the best way to begin searching or can anyone point me in the right direction?

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: ASIANO - Can anyone advise?

Postby nuccia » 11 Jan 2009, 08:04

Have you tried the Australia Archives to start with?

I did find this information from there and I believe you can have the document emailed to you if like.

Giuseppe Asiano [Box 144]
Series number
SP244/2 Control symbol
N1950/2/14411 Contents date range
1951 - 1951

Access status
Not yet examined Location
Sydney
Barcode
Title
Asiano, Guiseppe
Series number
J25 Control symbol
1951/2608 Contents date range
1951 - 1951

Access status
Brisbane
Barcode
Title
Giuseppe Asiano [Italian - arrived Brisbane per SURRIENTO, 3 Jan 1951; arrived Sydney per WANGANELLA, 9 Apr 1956. Box 37]
Series number
SP1121/1 Control symbol
ASIANO, GIUSEPPE Contents date range
1951 - 1956

Access status
Sydney
Barcode

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx

You can search as a guest and the information listed may give you some clues. It's always best to start with yourself and work backwards when researching so collect as much as you can using the records and any certificates you have lying around. Don't count anything out..and talk to family if they are available....especially older relatives and pick their brains. Write everything down.

There are also some very good, and fairly easy to use books out there that can help. If you visit your local library you should be able to find several in the reference section.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Misstree

Postby Misstree » 11 Jan 2009, 08:18

Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated. I will start working on it now. :)

blujay
Rookie
Rookie

Postby blujay » 11 Jan 2009, 08:22

Hi Misstree,
Do you know your grandad's date of birth?
If not, do you know when he died and his age at death?
You may need to look at the manifest of the ship you mentioned in 1951 to confirm that your grandad was from Asti, AT. What part of Italy is he from? Did he come alone? Was he with his parents? And if so, what were their names? Did he have siblings? What were their names? The Manifest should have this information.
Once you have this information and can confirm that he was born in the city of Asti, you can write to the Ufficio dello stato civile in Asti (in Italian, of course) to obtain a birth extract (not certificate) of Giuseppe Asiano. Address your letter to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di ASTI
Piazza San Secondo
14100, ASTI, AT
ITALIA

Make sure you include a self-addressed envelope with return postage and a few dollars for the extract. Remember the more accurate your vital information, the better chances of getting a favorable response.
The birth extract will have a lot more information than the certificate. It will confirm the names of his parents.
Then you can proceed to obtain the marriage extract of Giuseppi's parents. This is why it is important to know the amount of siblings and the order in which they were born. Typically the first child was born within a year or two of the parents marriage date.

Hope this helps,
blujay

jasiano

Postby jasiano » 16 Apr 2009, 03:21

My grandfather's name was Giuseppe Asciano but when he came to the US about 90 years ago he dropped the "c" from his name and translated his first name into english. My grandfather then became known as Joseph Asiano. He came from Ostuni in the southern region of Puglia near the heel of the boot and was quite a musician and opera fanatic. :D

Misstree

Postby Misstree » 16 Apr 2009, 04:33

I'm not sure if my grandfather originally had a 'c' in his Asiano? It is certainly worth finding out. He uses the name Joe instead of Joseph and he is NO musician (LOL) but he is very handy with building, painting, growing anything that grows and is a big fan of all types of cheeses, olives, wines....LOL.
:lol:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”