Carbonare and DeLuise

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

Franco29 wrote:Daniel Carbonare was married to Anna Maniscalco. To the best of my knowledge she arrived in the US from Sicily, approximately 1903, at the age of about three. They had two children: Marie Carbonare, and Michael Carbonare. Michael's date of birth is January 21, 1922.
Hi Franco,

I could only find some info on Daniel.

1930 U.S. Census - Brooklyn, Kings County, New York
Carbone, Daniel; age 36; married at age 27; born Italy; arrived 1911; naturalized
Carbone, Anne; wife; age 29; married at age 20; born New York
Carbone, Michael; son; age 8; born New York
Carbone, Marie; daughter; age 5; born New York

I think I may have also found Daniel in the 1920 census in the household of his cousin, John Lorenzo.

1920 U.S. Census - Brooklyn, Kings County, New York
Carbone, Daniel; age 25; Single; arrived 1911; naturalized 1916; born Italy

Hope this helps!

Regina
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Regina, first let me say Wow! You are good! :D Thank you so much!
I am sure this is my grandfather we are talking about. For some reason unknown to me, he went by the name of Carbone. I was told that he became frustrated with the difficulty people had with the name Carbonare, so he "Americanized" it to Carbone.
The bit of incorrect information the Census data has is that my grandmother Anna was, in fact, born in Italy. She arrived in NY at the age of about 3, around 1903, 1904. I wonder why the discrepancy?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Franco in those days of the 1930's it was "better" if you were born in America. It meant that you were not a greenhorn italian. Being an american was a step up and made you second generation american. Peter
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Peter, I hear you. I remember my father telling me stories about growing up in Brooklyn and how he would scuffle with the Irish kids because his last name made him a target. He would be called a WOP, even though he was born in the hospital right down the street from where he was fighting.
regina
Rookie
Rookie

Post by regina »

A little more possible info on Daniel.

There is a Daniel Carbone who filed a "Declaration of Intention" to become a citizen in Kings County, New York in 1917. A Declaration usually lists the town of birth of the applicant. You can find more information here:
http://www.jgsny.org/brooknats.htm

There is also a passenger manifest for a Donato Carbonaro, age 18, who arrived in 1911. His birthplace is listed as Muro Lucano (Potenza Province, Basilicata region).

Still no luck on Bernardino DeLuise. I found the following tidbits that may help you in your search, but I suggest that, if you haven't already, you try to obtain the birth certificate for Filomena and the marriage certificate for Bernardino and Angelina. Perhaps they will yield some clues.

In the 1930 census in Manhattan, I found a Beredino De Luisa (age 41) whose wife was Philomena and whose children were Andrew, Antoneta (born about 1922), Gitina (possible Gaetano) and Pasqualina.

In the 1920 census in Manhattan, Bernardo De Luisi (age 20) and his brother, Benedetto (age 22) living on West 67th with Giuseppe Custanza/Costanza, who was their brother-in-law.

Lastly, a Berardino de Luise/Bernardino De Luise born about 1889 in Casamicciola (Naples Province, Campania region) who came to the U.S. in 1907 and again in 1911. In 1911, Bernardino's destination is the home of his cousin Gppe Costanzo on West 67th. Bernardino's father's name was Andrea. (The surname for this gentleman was undoubtedly "De Luise". There are no phone listings for Deluise in Casamicciola, but there are 25 listings for De Luise.)

That's it. I believe I have exhausted all of my online resources. The best of luck to you in your research!

Regina
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Regina, another heartfelt thank you! I'll keep you posted as I continue my search. I'll be speaking with a cousin of mine in a few days who may have some info.
Also, I'm going to obtain my grandfather Carbonare's death certificate, which should yield some additional clues.