San Leonardo parish in Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jvillilo

San Leonardo parish in Campobasso

Postby jvillilo » 16 Jan 2009, 15:24

Has anyone obtained records from the San Leonardo parish in Campobasso successfully? I am pursuing information concerning my family who attended San Giorgio parish in Campobasso but that church is now closed and the parish records are held at San Leonardo. I am told only the parish priest will do searches and will not allow outside access, which means to me the request may or may not be honored.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: San Leonardo parish in Campobasso

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Jan 2009, 16:50

Yes thats about right!!! Might I suggest you write to the good priest and ask him if there is anyone he would allow to research the church records and that you would then hire that person (hopefully his nephew) with his guidance (extra donation). It used to be that church records that were searched by the parish priests were given $15.00 as recommended by the Mormon church Family History Library but now that the battered USA dollar is now about 70 cents Euro so the suggested donation should go up accordingly.

Please let me know how you make out. =Peter=
~Peter~

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Jan 2009, 16:58

For your information there are 12 churches in Campobasso city and there is one church with a telephone in the event you can speak italian and wish to make a call to that other church. You can find that number at www.parrocchie.it and put in Campobasso and the 12 churches will be listed with telephone number beneath one of them. =Peter=
~Peter~

jvillilo

Postby jvillilo » 16 Jan 2009, 17:17

Thank you, Peter. I do have someone who has contacted the parish priest but was told he could not search himself, only the priest will do this. I am not confident he will actually do the search but if you have had success, I suppose I will go ahead and pay for the search.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 16 Jan 2009, 17:36

I never did hire anyone but I heard that sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but you have no choice...just turn the statue of St. Anthony upside down and wait patiently for him to work his miracles.=Peter=
~Peter~

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 16 Jan 2009, 18:26

Hi John

The records of the Cattedrale routinely reference the other churches in CB, including San Giorgio, Sant'Angelo, Santa Maria Maggiore, San Mercurio, San Bartolomeo, San Leonardo, and San Nicola. I'm not yet sure of the record-keeping system of these churches and why priests of other churches performed baptisms that were recorded in the Cattedrale. Perhaps it was because the Cattedrale was the mother church. In addition, I haven't yet seen a reference to Sant'Antono Abate or Santa Maria della Croce among the records of the Cattedrale. I do know that Sant'Antonio Abate has its own records since a cousin once viewed them. There are also several record books from San Bartolomeo at the diosese curia. Finally, the provincial archives has a microfilm with records of San Giorgio, some of which go back to the 12th century.

There are many Vallillo baptisms among the records of the Cattedrale. For example, (1) Tomaso Valillo, son of Pietro and Rosina del Russo, was baptised on 21 DEC 1748 by Angiolo Zantonelli, a priest from Chiese di S.S. Angiolo e Mercurio; and (2) Pietro Ant.o Valillo [the surname is spelled with one "l" in some earlier records], son of Simone and Anna di Maria di Colangelo [her name is Anna and her surname is "di Maria di Colangelo" aka "di Maria d'Angelo"], was baptised 11 FEB 1705 by Gioseppe Borsella, a priest apparently from Chiesa di San Giorgio.

The records mentioned above may be your 4GGF and 5GGF respectively. However, a death extract for Tomaso Vallillo [submitted with various processetti documents by his children and grandchildren] states that his mother was Rosa Pecorari aka Pecoraro. That death extract may be an error since there is only one Tomaso Vallillo born to Pietro in the period 1727-1762. In addition, the given name of the mother fits: Rosina.

BTW, I think I may have finally found a connection between us. My 6GGM Brigida Vallillo (baptised 27 FEB 1708) was the daughter of Simone and Anna Maria d'Angelo. Thus, she would be the sister of Pietro Ant.o Valillo and we would be 7C1R. Hopefully, further research will resolve the Rosa Pecorari/Rosina del Russo issue.
John Armellino

jvillilo

Postby jvillilo » 16 Jan 2009, 18:39

Hi John - so it is more likely my 5GGF Pietro Antonio Valillilo was the son of Simone Vallillo and Anna di Maria di Colangelo and married Rosina del Russo and not Rosa Pecorari? I suppose having the parish priest search for actual documents would clear that up.... If the provincial archives have a microfilm of the San Giorgio records, is it possible to request a search there or better to pay someone to do that for me? Would it be safe to list Pietro's date of birth a day before the baptism, say 2 Feb 1705? Thanks and hope things are well..... cousin!

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 16 Jan 2009, 20:23

so it is more likely my 5GGF Pietro Antonio Valillilo was the son of Simone Vallillo and Anna di Maria di Colangelo and married Rosina del Russo and not Rosa Pecorari?

I think that it is likely for several reasons: (1) With the exception of Pietro's death extract, I have never encountered the surname Pecorari in the records of Campobasso (1697-1910); (2) There is only one Tomaso Vallillo born to Pietro in the relevant time period; (3) In the period 1697-1762, there are no children born to a Pietro Vallillo/Rosa Pecorari; in fact, there are no records for a couple with those names; (4) Rosa di Rosso [di Rosso/di Russo/del Rosso/del Russo/Rosso/Russo are often interchangeable], daughter of Domenico and Camilla Mancino, was baptized on 08 JAN 1709; and (5) There is no record of the baptism of a Rosa Pecorari in the period 1697-1726.

The surname "di Maria di Colangelo" is also written "d'Angelo" and "Maria d'Angelo". However, in that time period (1697-1726), it was most often written "di Maria d'Angelo" and most records for Anna that I've found to date use this spelling.

I suppose having the parish priest search for actual documents would clear that up....

If you could have a priest or researcher check any or all other records, it would certainly add to the surety of your research.

If the provincial archives have a microfilm of the San Giorgio records, is it possible to request a search there or better to pay someone to do that for me?

I don't think the archivio offers research services. You could, of course, hire a researcher to view the San Giorgio film for you. However, my advice is to go yourself and enjoy the hill country while you're there!

Would it be safe to list Pietro's date of birth a day before the baptism, say 2 Feb 1705?

The baptismal record for Pietro Ant.o Valillo did not provide a date of birth. I would simply use the date of baptism; most software programs provide for this. The baptismal record for Tomaso Vallillo states that he was born at the 13th hour of the prior day.
John Armellino

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 17 Jan 2009, 04:32

John

The source for the batismal record of Tomaso Vallillo is Battezzati, Liber VIII, 1727-1762, Fol. 407, #3, 21 DEC 1748.

The source for the batismal record of Pietro Ant.o Valillo is Battezzati, Liber VI e VII, 1697-1726, Fol. 89, #6, 11 FEB 1705.

The repository for both records is S. Maria Maggiore, Cattedrale di Campobasso, Piazza Prefettura, 86100 Campobasso, Italia.
John Armellino

jvillilo

Postby jvillilo » 17 Jan 2009, 20:09

thank you John! The microfilm you mentioned at the archives that has the records of the San Giorgio parish. Is it located at the Archivio di Stato or Diocesi archive? Have you gone further with the Vallillo line in the records of the Cattedrale di Campobasso?

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Postby JohnArmellino » 17 Jan 2009, 20:51

The microfilm I mentioned is a single reel of records from Chiesa di San Giorgio. It's located at the provincial Archivio di Stato Civile located in Campobasso. I didn't get a chance to study it closely because my cousin Riccardo De Socio and I were working with the notarial acts (which date back to about 1580) trying to extend our di Soccio line. I'm not sure how complete the film is, although I did see some records from the 1100s. We also found over 1300 deaths in 1652, presumably from a plague. Entire families were listed on each death record, as if it was a census. I had always wondered why I found no descendants of my Starruccio line in the civil records. Well, it appears that three entire Starruccio families were wiped out in 1652 and I suppose that may have been the end of the line.

The records at the Cattedrale are great. The only book missing is the first Book of Marriages. Baptisms are complete from 1568, marriages from 1657, and deaths from 1629. Although I'm not sure how record-keeping was handled among the various churches of Campobasso, I found nearly all of my end-of-line ancestors (about 50) in these records. I will keep you posted if I find any additional Vallillo ancestors.
John Armellino

Return to “Italian Genealogy”