NEED HELP TO FIND TARSIA/O from Italy CERCHIARA , CALABRIA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: NEED HELP TO FIND TARSIA/O from Italy CERCHIARA , CALABR

Post by pink67 »

BillieDeKid wrote:Pierdomenico

Can you give the approximate years of birth for the children of Pietro?

Elizabeth
Hi Elizabeth!

here are:

I figli erano:
Frances (femmina) nata il 30 January 1911
Frank (maschio) 3 August 1913
Tony (maschio) 3 April 1917

Thank you!
Laura
salt417

Post by salt417 »

Hi,

I am Anthony J. Tarsio's son. I would love to find some history about my father since I know very little. I can tell you that he was the youngest of the 3 children. He served in the US Army during WWII. He died nearly 20 years ago.

You say they changed their name from Tarsio to Tarsia. It is true it was changed but the story I was told was that it was changed by immigration.

Another thing I know is that my grandfather went back to Italy sometime in 1951, a few months before I was born.

If you have anything to add I'd love to hear it.

Sal
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Sal,

I'm very happy you found this discussion!! :D
If you're a little familiar with italian language you can see the italian version of the Tarsia research on this italian forum:

http://www.tuttogenealogia.it/index.php ... ght=tarsia

I'm sure that Pierdomenico will be thrilled to see your post...

Good luck!
Laura
salt417

Post by salt417 »

Hello Laura,

Unfortunately I know as much Itlalian as my father did, none! But I'd love to see anything I can read in English.

I see you posted the birth dates of my father and his siblings but where do you fit into this family tree?

And I just found out from my daughter that I can use dictionary.com to translate to English.

Regards, Sal
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Sal,

I'm not related to the family, I simply helped an italian guy (PierDomenico ) who was searching for his relatives in the U.S.
Pierdomenico is the grand-son of Luigi Tarsia, Luigi Tarsia was a brother of Pietro Tarsia (your grandfather if I understood well)...
He's telling that Pietro is buried in the little village were he came from, Cerchiara in the calabria Region, on his burial under Pietro's name there is the word "Italoamericano", so Pierdomenico started to search for him and his immigration...
I know that Pierdomenico did a great job on his genealogical tree and sure he'll be more than happy to share informations with you...
Most of records has been found on the Ancestry.com site or Ellisisland.org site.
I hope that Pierdomenico will jump here soon...
My best whishes for all!
Laura
sequoianne

Post by sequoianne »

Hello,

I was excited to find this post. Though I am not sure of the ancestry exactly, I am fairly sure I must be a part of this US family tree. I know that my grandfather (who died around 1958) was named Peter. I also know that somewhere along recent the paternal line I had a relation named Tony (Antonio?). I very recently had a lengthy conversation with my grandmother who told me all about the Tarsio family history but sadly I didn't write it down (she married into the Tarsio family). I know my family lived on Long Island/Queens/Flushing and now in Rockland County, NY (near NJ). I know of other Tarsios in relatively nearby areas though I don't know them personally. I also was recently contacted by a Tarsio in Argentina.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

sequoianne wrote:Hello,

I was excited to find this post. Though I am not sure of the ancestry exactly, I am fairly sure I must be a part of this US family tree. I know that my grandfather (who died around 1958) was named Peter. I also know that somewhere along recent the paternal line I had a relation named Tony (Antonio?). I very recently had a lengthy conversation with my grandmother who told me all about the Tarsio family history but sadly I didn't write it down (she married into the Tarsio family). I know my family lived on Long Island/Queens/Flushing and now in Rockland County, NY (near NJ). I know of other Tarsios in relatively nearby areas though I don't know them personally. I also was recently contacted by a Tarsio in Argentina.
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!
We may be able to help you find some US records for your family.
If you want to start a post about your family with a few details (names, approx birth dates, wives, children, locations) we would be happy to help!
Valarie
---

For example, if this is your grandfather's record, you could order his Social Security Application ($27)

Social Security Death Index

Name: Peter Tarsio
SSN: 078-16-xxxx
Born: 30 Jun 1912
Died: Nov 1958
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)
---

Social Security Application SS-5

His SS# is available here if you don’t already have it:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true

About the SS Application:
http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm
The SS-5, or Application for Social Security Number is a great resource for learning more about individuals who died after about 1960, and generally includes the following:
- Full name
- Full name at birth, including maiden name
- Present mailing address
- Age at last birthday
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Father's full name
- Mother's full name, including maiden name

- Sex
- Race as indicated by the applicant
- Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
- Current employer's name and address
- Date signed
- Applicant's signature
Order form SSA-711 (can be done online):
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm
tarsiap

Post by tarsiap »

sequoianne wrote:Hello,

Hi sequoianne,

I'm Piero Tarsia.
I think that we can try to find out if we are related but would be great if you can provide me the name of your italian ancestor arrived at Ellis Island...

I can tell you that the original surname was Tarsia with the A and was changed for census or immigration.
The italian family came from Cerchiara di Calabria.

PT
lauren100182

Post by lauren100182 »

Hi, my grandfather is also Peter Tarsio. I can suppy the following information:

Father: Joseph Tarsio, DOB: 1-26-1890 in Cerchiara Calabria...he immigrated aprox. 1907. Lived in College Point Queens, NY

Mother: Rose Tarsio
Siblings: Frank, Barny, Felcia, Vincent, Angela
Uncle: Bondio Tarsio

I found this information on familysearch.org through the 1930 census and Joseph Tarsio's WWII draft card. I haven't been able to trace the family any further than Joseph. I would also like to know how we are related to the other NY (Newburgh area) Tarsio's. I found other Tarsio's living in Brooklyn in the 1930 cencus records, but cannot find a clear relation to them. I presume these are the Tarsio's that ended up in Newburgh. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
tarsiap

Post by tarsiap »

Ciao Lauren,

I'll try to understand if we are related.
I'm sure that we came from the same little city: Cerchiara di Calabria.
Piero
neiln

Post by neiln »

I'm the son of Angela Tarsio, who is the daughter of the same Joseph (Giuseppe) Tarsio that Lauren mentioned. I want to connect to learn more about our family history. I look forward to hearing from Pierdomenico and Lauren.

Neil
tarsiap

Post by tarsiap »

Hi Lauren and Neil ,

well I'm your italian relative.
This is my email tarsiap@yahoo.it.
We are distant cousin , but I can explain to you how we are related.
I guess that all from the origanal family are migrated from Cerchiaria to NY around 1900-1915.
Uncle Bondio (zi Bunnio , Joseph's brother born Giuseppe) came back to Italy and died here in Cerchiara.
My father tell me that he remember him. I think he died around 1960s.
Please contact me by email , and I hope we can share some old pictures , at the same time I can give you more informations.
In the end just 2 things:
1) your original surname was Tarsia , it was changed during census to Tarsio.
2) There are a lot of Tarsia in Calabria region who migrted but your are related only to Tarsia/Tarsio that came from the village of Cerchiara di Calabria.

have a nice day
Pierdomenico Tarsia
lauren100182

Post by lauren100182 »

Hi Neil and Pierdomenico,
It's great to hear from you!

Neil, it sounds like you are my father's cousin. Angela would be his aunt as Peter is his father. The only Tarsio relative I've ever heard of growing up was uncle Barney. Other than that, I know very little about the Tarsio side other than my own research.

Pierdomenico, I will email you. I'm very curious to know how we are related and all about Cerchiara.

Lauren
cmalapanis

Re: NEED HELP TO FIND TARSIA/O from Italy CERCHIARA , CALABRIA

Post by cmalapanis »

Hello is anyone still monitoring this post? I have information on Joseph Tarsia (immigrated from Calabria to New York) and would also like to learn more. Please contact me if you would lime to talk.

Thanks!
Christine