Luigi Conti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
johntaranto

Luigi Conti

Postby johntaranto » 23 Jan 2009, 06:25

Hello, I've just joined this forum and my best wishes to you all.
I'm looking for information about Luigi Conti(1842- ?1917) born in Sondrio, my wife's great grandfather.
His father was Fermo Conti, his great aunt Angelica Catalani. He landed with Garribaldi's army at Marsalla, Sicily in 1860. He then went on to study singing at Palermo and perform there and in Spain, and Paris and finally London and Brighton. He was the father of Italia Conti who founded a stage school in London. I would be very interested in finding information about his Italian ancestry and relatives, his cousins were the Scalzi family.

Best Wishes

john Taranto

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Luigi Conti

Postby nuccia » 23 Jan 2009, 15:19

Hi John and Welcome!

It sounds like you have done a lot of research on Luigi. Have you been able to source all this information? If so, can you provide us with a bit of information on what exactly you have and where you have already looked so that we know how to direct you.

I believe the best way to go about what you're looking for is to do one family at a time and locate each sibling, etc.

You can start by looking through these sites:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Civil Registration records are available from the Family History Center for Sondrio from 1866-1929 but you would have to order them from the Center nearest you. Her's whats available (which I was able to find from the same link as above ->Library ->Library Catolog->Place Search and then enter Sondrio. You can do this with any town.

Another site which could help is:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

and its a free site.

Always best to start with the most recent generation and work backwards.

For ancestors that may have come to the US you can search www.stevemorse.org , register a username and password (both free) and look through ship manifests which are linked to www.ellisisland.org .

The site also has a lot of other useful information on it so go through it.

For more UK records you may want to try www.ancestry.com or www.findmypast.com but they a subscription sites so there will be a fee to use them (although ancestry does have a limited 14 day trial period and some records provided free.

Lastly, check through:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... 601671#p=0

Also a free site which requires registration. Let me know if any of this helps and what else you may be looking for!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”