Feola - Sparenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 24 Jan 2009, 22:11

My grandmother came to the United States on the Taormina Ship 1908-1927 and arrived in Boston from Italy on Dec. 25, 1919.
The passengers with her were:
Giovani Feola, 29
Wife - Speranza Tommasa, 29
daughter - Feola - Vincenza, 8
daughter - Feola - Bradamante, 6
son - Francesco, 4
daughter - Michela, ? younger.
I know this is my grandmother Thomasina DiGregorio. She married a third time to a Rafale Digregorio and had other children.
My grandmother has become really illusive. For one, the two first names of the children on the manifest are my aunts Marie and Brady. It states that they were U.S. citizens. I think she was married a first time, but can't find any information. I do not believe that these first two children where Feolas. My grandmother died in 1966 in Revere, MA.
The only other hint of anything is that she had a brother in Italy by the name of Anthony Speranza? I'm not sure this is her maiden name or her first married name. I do now that she married in Italy sometime between 1900 and 1920 to Giovanni Feola.
Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
The website with this information can be seen at http://dtgaryportal.net/Barnaby-Feola/F ... erenza.htm
Thank you,

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 24 Jan 2009, 22:35

dianebendergary wrote:the two first names of the children on the manifest are my aunts Marie and Brady. It states that they were U.S. citizens. I think she was married a first time, but can't find any information. I do not believe that these first two children where Feolas.


Hello!
You’re right, according to page 2 of the manifest the family was in the US 1914-1915(?)
1919 manifest pg 2 image
Lines 5-10
Daughters Vincenza & Bradamante born in Boston abt 1911 & 1913...
--

Have you looked for your grandmother's 1st ship manifest under her maiden name?
Even if she were married, she normally would have been listed under her maiden name.
If her daughters' birth years are correct, her 1st manifest will be abt 1911 or earlier.

Thanks!
Valarie

edit
: corrected the spelling of Vincenza's name

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby nuccia » 24 Jan 2009, 22:39

Great. VJ confirmed what you already told us. (I believe this manifest is on the website you posted or am I mistaken?)

Lets see if we can give you something new.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 24 Jan 2009, 23:01

We cannot find her in the 1920 Census.


The missing 1920 census?

possible 1920 census

Home in 1920:
7 Endicott Street
Boston Ward 5, Suffolk, Massachusetts

Head Agostino Lopilato 65
Wife Rosa Lopilato 66
Grandson Agostino Lopilato 13
Granddaughter Mary Lopilato 10

Nephew John Fewalo 29, abt 1891 IT
- immig 1911 Al
Niece Tomasina Fewalo 29, abt 1891 IT
- immig 1911 Al
Cousin Vinganza Fewalo 8, abt 1912 MA
Cousin Bademando Fewalo 6, abt 1914 MA
Cousin Frank Fewalo 4, abt 1916 IT
- immig 1919 Al
Cousin Migalina Fewalo 1 10/12, abt 1918 IT
- immig 1919 Al

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 24 Jan 2009, 23:47

dianebendergary wrote: I think she was married a first time, but can't find any information. I do not believe that these first two children where Feolas


Isn’t this a shame, two records that may have answered that question

- NEHGS doesn’t have the image online for Bretamante Feola, so we don’t know why it was amended.
The original journal entry will have her parents' names

- ancestry. com has the wrong ship linked to this manifest for a Giovanni Feola from Mirabella.

Valarie
---

Possible birth record from NEHGS

Feola, * Bretamante
Boston
1913
Vol 181
Page 246
Birth
Amended Record
Amended Record

Massachusetts Vital Records, 1911-1915
Massachusetts Vital Records for the period 1911-1915 were transferred to the Massachusetts State Archives in 2005, making them generally available to the public.
In 2007, NEHGS began a project to digitize these records.
We are in the process of digitizing the marriage and death indexes for 1911-1915 and will add that material to this database in the future.
We also plan to make digital images of the record pages available in the future.
Until the digital images are available, you may view the records on microfilm at the NEHGS Boston research library, or you may order photocopies from the NEHGS Research Services deparment.
How to order:
http://www.newenglandancestors.org/data ... h/2220.asp

---

Possible manifest transcription from ancestry. com

Name: Giovanni Feola
Arrival Date: 16 May 1911
Age: 21 years Estimated
Birth Year: abt 1890
Gender: Male
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Domenica Sisaturo
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Mrabelle, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: 164

User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 25 Jan 2009, 00:33

Thank you all sooo much. I just need to know who her parents are. With the information you gave me, I am going to check more. Thank you again. I just need to keep the search.

User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 25 Jan 2009, 00:50

yes I have looked at anything in ancestry under Thomasina Sperenza and found nothing under the passenger lists. But I know that she had to have been here.

Family Story: My grandmother came here when she was 15 years old with her brother. There was an arranged marriage. Her husband was killed and she went back to Italy wherein she met Giovanni and married him. Had a few more children and came back to the U.S.

My mother, Theresa Rita Feola, was born in Boston on May 8, 1921. She spend time on the floating hospital wherein she had "ricketts".

My mother told me that her mother was married three times, once with an arranged marriage, the second to Giovanni Feola (John), and the third was DiGregorio. She didn't know her maiden name. She did say that there was a Couple who sponsored her mother when she came to the states. My sister will be sending me a picture with the entire family taken in 1935, where the couple who sponsered them. I'm hoping to get the picture very soon. (My sister is looking for it).

If you can give me any other information it would be greatly appreciated.

User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 25 Jan 2009, 00:56

I am not a member of NEHGS. But I do know that Giovanni must have taken the children from the first marriage as his own. I'm still trying to figure out the true father of them.

Thanks for any help you have given me thus far. I'm really excited.

Also, yes, the website at dtgaryportal.net/barnaby-feola is mine. I am trying to put it out there, with a little twist by showing all the information that I am getting, including the actual census records. I will be adding the 1920 record. I'm wondering if this Lopilato could be her maiden name??????

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 25 Jan 2009, 15:06

Hello!
Thank you for the additional information

Question?
Is the correct town in Italy Mirabella Eclano,
Avellino Province, Campania Region?
http://www.nonsolocap.it/campania/55-mirabella-eclano/

Perhaps confirming Tommasina’s maiden name may help find her 1st manifest and 1st marriage in the US?

Ordering either Francesco or Michelina Feola’s birth record should list Tommasina’s maiden name.

If Mirabella Eclano is correct, the address should be:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Mirabella Eclano
Corso Umberto I
83036 Mirabella Eclano AV
Italy

Interactive form letter with instructions
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

What do you think?
Valarie

User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 25 Jan 2009, 16:55

Thank you for the information. Another tidbit that might be useful and probably why I can't find anything and why kids names were changed and why she didn't ever use her first married name: My mother told me that she had an arranged marriage in the states, that he was part of the mafia and that she killed him with a shovel, then left the states, went back to italy and came back here! I know this sounds stupid, but I'm just going by what my mom told me.
Anyway, names that I know we were told were DeGamma, I believe my aunt Marie, (Vincenza) said her maiden name was DeGamma. That might have been her name.
I also found on the manifests, coming from Canada, a Marie Vincenza who was 4 years old. She was with her grandfather. I'm not sure if that was her.
Is Vincenza the italian name for Marie? I just don't understand why her name was Vincenza, its the first, in doing this history, that I saw it. I always knew her as Marie. Anyway, it seems that the names Vincenza (as a girl) and the name Tomassina are unusual. So alot of what I'm looking up is their first names. Unless you think these are usual for Italy??
Mickalena, was my aunt Micky. She was just a baby when they came here.
I thought that they came here from Napoli? I don't even know where they originally came from.
I'm wondering if any of this helps. I'm working feveraously on this. The only person alive is my mother's half-sister Angie (Angelina). And they have this big thing about the Feolas and the DiGregorios. So, I don't get anywhere with that.
I also wondered why my mom told me she came here when she was 15? Vincenza was born when she was 21???? I'm now looking at this Lopilato guy. I have never heard that name in my life.

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 25 Jan 2009, 17:10

Hi!
Everything helps.
Usually we don't discount family stories too much :D - somewhere in the telling they may get embellished, but they usually start with fact.
Here's a site for 1st names that may help:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ame.html#I
As far as 'Maria' goes, it wouldn't be unusual for it to be a 1st or middle name. If she didn't like the name Vincenza, she may have chosen to be called Marie.
Valarie

User avatar
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4601
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby nuccia » 25 Jan 2009, 17:11

dianebendergary wrote:Thank you for the information. Another tidbit that might be useful and probably why I can't find anything and why kids names were changed and why she didn't ever use her first married name: My mother told me that she had an arranged marriage in the states, that he was part of the mafia and that she killed him with a shovel, then left the states, went back to italy and came back here! I know this sounds stupid, but I'm just going by what my mom told me.


Not stupid at all. Remember, there is usually a hint of truth to every story so you will need to keep digging.

dianebendergary wrote:Anyway, names that I know we were told were DeGamma, I believe my aunt Marie, (Vincenza) said her maiden name was DeGamma. That might have been her name.
I also found on the manifests, coming from Canada, a Marie Vincenza who was 4 years old. She was with her grandfather. I'm not sure if that was her.


Can you link the manifest to show us? Might be interesting to look at.

dianebendergary wrote:Is Vincenza the italian name for Marie? I just don't understand why her name was Vincenza, its the first, in doing this history, that I saw it. I always knew her as Marie.

Her name could have been Maria Vincenza which is not that unusual at all. The name Maria was often used as a first name. One of my ancestors named all their daughters Maria and then gave then a second name which is the name they went by. You will have to order the birth act to confirm this.

dianebendergary wrote:Anyway, it seems that the names Vincenza (as a girl) and the name Tomassina are unusual. So alot of what I'm looking up is their first names. Unless you think these are usual for Italy??
Mickalena, was my aunt Micky. She was just a baby when they came here.


Both are common names and not at all usual at all.
dianebendergary wrote:
I thought that they came here from Napoli? I don't even know where they originally came from.


Perhaps they left port from Napoli or were from a comune near Napoli? I think to follow the lead vj has found and write the letter to the comune (she provided an address) and see what turns up.
dianebendergary wrote:
I'm wondering if any of this helps. I'm working feveraously on this. The only person alive is my mother's half-sister Angie (Angelina). And they have this big thing about the Feolas and the DiGregorios. So, I don't get anywhere with that.


Every bit of information you provide helps. As for family secrets...well I think all families have at least one.

dianebendergary wrote:
I also wondered why my mom told me she came here when she was 15? Vincenza was born when she was 21???? I'm now looking at this Lopilato guy. I have never heard that name in my life.


Also not unusual. Women began having children VERY young in some parts of Italy and continued having children into their '40's. There is a 21 year difference between my grandfather and his oldest sister. Definitely pursue all leads.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Image
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1210
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby BillieDeKid » 25 Jan 2009, 17:40

Hi

For what this might be worth............when trying to look up Speranza (maiden name) traveling it lists Mirabella as the place where she is coming from. List's the same place for Giovanni and the kids. There are two Mirabella's

Mirabella Eclano, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Mirabella Imbaccari, province: Catania - region: Sicily

Do you happen to know if they were Sicilian?

The 1920 census that VJ posted lists the family living with Agostino Lopilato stating nephew and niece as relationship to him. Do you know if you have any family or have heard of any relations with that surname?

Thanks
Elizabeth

User avatar
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8069
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby vj » 25 Jan 2009, 18:04

BillieDeKid wrote:Hi

For what this might be worth............when trying to look up Speranza (maiden name) traveling it lists Mirabella as the place where she is coming from. List's the same place for Giovanni and the kids. There are two Mirabella's

Mirabella Eclano, province: Avellino - region: Campania
Mirabella Imbaccari, province: Catania - region: Sicily

Do you happen to know if they were Sicilian?

The 1920 census that VJ posted lists the family living with Agostino Lopilato stating nephew and niece as relationship to him. Do you know if you have any family or have heard of any relations with that surname?

Thanks
Elizabeth


Hey Elizabeth,

Just checked this site:
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

Lo Pilato is a current surname in Mirabella Eclano
but not in Mirabella Imbaccari, although it is found in Sicily...

Valarie

User avatar
dianebendergary
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 24 Jan 2009, 22:00

Re: Feola - Sparenza

Postby dianebendergary » 25 Jan 2009, 21:58

Thank you all so much, I'll still looking. I will send you the link for the manifest for Marie Vincenza.


Return to “Italian Genealogy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], EMTLP, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests