trying to learn more about Cavalli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gcav

trying to learn more about Cavalli

Postby gcav » 25 Jan 2009, 17:33

My great-grandfather was Giovanni Cavalli, came to NY in 1911, and was married to Celeste Bertoli. They were from Alpe, which I believe is a small village near Bedonia in Parma. His father was Antonio Cavalli, who I don't think ever came to America and died in the influeza epidemic of 1918. Just looking for any further background and information about the family, as this is the extent of my knowledge.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: trying to learn more about Cavalli

Postby nuccia » 25 Jan 2009, 17:40

HI gcav and Welcome.

Have you been able to find the ship manifest for Giovanni and if so, are you able to link it for reference? You say you don't think Antonio ever came to the US..does that mean you have already looked for a ship manifest or should we attempt to search for one?

Also, can you give us an idea of whether you are looking primarily for Italian records or US ones? Have you placed your Giovanni on a Census?

Let us know what you need so we can direct you better.

Thanks and look forward to your reply. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 25 Jan 2009, 18:08

Dear Gcav I can understand that you may be perplexed in obtaining information about your family in Alpe, Parma Province.

Alpe is a "frazione" of Bedonia (PR) which means that Alpe is a suburb or neighborhood incorporated into Bedonia and share the same municipal records.

If you go to www.nonsolocap.it and put in Bedonia and then click on Bedonia a webpage will come out explaining this entire matter.

Microfilm records for Bedonia can be rented from the nearest Mormon church family history ibrary ( www.familysearch.org for location nearest you)for about $5.00 and may include the records for Alpe and your family.
Make inquiries at the Library when ordering the microfilm about Alpe records in the Bedonia micorfilm.

If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Cavalli in the first line and Alpe in the second line you will see 5 persons surname Cavalli which may be relatives. You may wish to write to these persons as possible relatives in a form letter in Italian language using this website by going to www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm and enclosing a return envelope. =Peter=
~Peter~

federici1999
Rookie
Rookie

Postby federici1999 » 26 Jan 2009, 02:35

I'm not sure where to start. Laura who is a friend saw your posting and contacted me about it. My grandfather Dominico Federici was from Alpe. His father was Anthony and his mother was Veronica Cavalli. My grandfather came to the US in 1909. He had a cousin also named Cavalli who came with him and my grandmother. Alpe is made up of Federici's and Cavalli's. I was there in September and going back in May. I have found my grandmother family there but not my Grandfathers. I have found his brothers and his nephews grave. But have not located his parents gravesites. From what I have been told Cavalli's and Federici's have been in that area since the 1400'S. Alpe lies about 12 miles outside Bedonia. My grandmother came from Setterone which was the village next to Alpe. Send me a private message and I will e-mail you some photos from the area.
Bob Federici
Thanks Bob

Looking for Federici and Cavalli from Bedonia

gcav

Postby gcav » 22 Jan 2014, 19:32

I just got back into family tree stuff, came here to do a search for my name and forgot all about this thread I started years ago! I actually have much more information now, but everything still goes blank on the other side of the Atlantic.

My great-grandfather was Giovanni Cavalli (who changed his name to the Americanized John sometime in the 1920s). He was born May 25 1888 in Alpe. He arrived in the United States on the S.S. La Provence, which sailed from Havre, in February 1911, along with his father Antonio and his younger brother Constantino. They listed their last address in Italy as Bedonia and their closest relative there as Adele Cavalli, who was Antonio's daughter and Giovanni's sister. Giovanni named one of his daughters, my beloved Aunt Della, after his sister. According to my grandfather, Giovanni's mother was Caterina Lusardi, also of Bedonia. She apparently died prior to 1911 as Antonio is classified on the passenger list as a widower.

My great-grandmother, Celestina Bertoli, was born on April 12, 1895 and arrived in NY in November 1913 on the S.S. Moltke, sailing from Genoa. She lists her previous address as being Compiano, Italy (which seems to be a small village close to Bedonia) and her closest relative there as her mother. The writing is difficult to read, but her mother's name looks like it's either Scagliola or Scagliolo.

gcav

Postby gcav » 22 Jan 2014, 19:33

That is, her mother's last name looks like Scagliola or Scagliolo. Her first name was Teresa. I was surprised that my grandmother's maiden name was different than her mother's last name. Perhaps her mother was widowed and remarried.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”