ATTINO?? FAMILY FROM MESSINA SICILY!! NEED HELP !!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
justinfrombklyn
Veteran
Veteran

ATTINO?? FAMILY FROM MESSINA SICILY!! NEED HELP !!

Postby justinfrombklyn » 26 Jan 2009, 07:22

hi all

me and my family are begining to think that our family name ATTINO was cut down from some longer name

all we know is relatives with that name belonging to my family come from messina,sicily which i read is a huge province consisting of 110 towns lol

i tried requesting the birth records from the lds church for the year 1860 for my gg-grandfather gaetano ATTINO and i got nothing..

i will like to try another strategy but im very stuck

i did a search on the italian surname site and it says that the name attino appears in the name cattino from messina but i dont have proof to say whether or not it is my family name

how can i further investigate this

please help

thank you

justin

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: ATTINO?? FAMILY FROM MESSINA SICILY!! NEED HELP !!

Postby PeterTimber » 26 Jan 2009, 14:05

Dear Justin Attino is not listed as an Italian surname in the surname dictionary making it either a local surname or imported from abroad and Italianized.

Since you know the name and birthdate of your ancestor but apparently do not know his town of origin you might wish to write to the Military disterct offices for the province of messina at:
Archivio di Stato di Messina
Via 24 Maggio Isol 291, No. 18
98122, Messina, Sicily, Italy

In a form letter which is found at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

They may check their records by name and birthdate even if you do not know his town of birth...theymay or may not accept the lack of town of origin but its your best chance of knowing where he was born and where all the remaining recordsd are located. Please keep me posted and let me know what they say. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”