Looking for info on Pipitone, Levatino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
markmichele1

Looking for info on Pipitone, Levatino

Postby markmichele1 » 28 Jan 2009, 01:44

came to US from Misilmeri in 1897 or 1898, lived on Elizabeth Street in NYC in 1900. Settled in Poughkeepsie, NY

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Looking for info on Pipitone, Levatino

Postby wldspirit » 28 Jan 2009, 01:57

Welcome to the forum!
Can you be more specific....are you looking for US records or Italian records?
What have you obtained so far in way of research so that records are not duplicated?
Can you provide first names, spouse, children and birthdates?
Or are you just hoping to connect with others researching these same lines?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

markmichele1

Postby markmichele1 » 28 Jan 2009, 12:12

This is what I've found so far. Rosario Levatino and Rosa Pipitone Levatino came to US in 1897/1898 with their two daughters, Catterina (age 16) and Francesca (age 12). There are some conflicting date of birth for Rosa (Ellis Island records show DOB for her as 1848, 1910 census shows she's 60 which would make her DOB 1850) I was able to find a Rosa Pipitone on sicilianfamilytree records that may be her, but I'm not sure. I believe they were both from Misilmeri but I can't find records for Levatino. I am looking for either relatives in US and also information going back to Misilmeri. My great-grandmother, Francesca, married a James (Giuseppe?) Vento early 1900's and they settled in Poughkeepsie, NY. They had three children, Peter, Josephine and Jeanette and he died at age 23 in 1908. She remarried Carlos Mirto (also from Misilmeri) and had four more children, Samuel, Salvatore (Tato) , Gertrude and Ermida (Babe). Francesca died in 1972.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 28 Jan 2009, 13:53

You are basically trying to confirm town of origin, correct?
Have you pulled all vital records on the family from within the US?
Birth, marriage and death? Naturalizations?

There is this record for a Rosario Levatino:

Publication Number: M1675
Publication Title: Alphabetical Index to Declarations of Intention of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 1917-1950
Publisher: NARA
State: New York
Immigrant Full Name: Levatino, Rosario

These cards contain limited information about the immigrant. Locate an individual by name, then use the numbers to order documents from NARA. The three digit-number on these index cards is the volume number. The other number is the Declaration of Intention number. Use these numbers and any other data you have on the applicant when requesting copies of the declarations

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

markmichele1

Postby markmichele1 » 29 Jan 2009, 00:09

I looked at the 1910 census and found Rosa Levatino - listed as a widow. Francesca who was also now widowed with three children were listed there as well (except spelling was way off on the census record). I'm stumped with James Vento - I had heard that he was from Misilmeri, and I've looked at both Ellis Island and Ancestry.com to see if I can find him, but not much success. All I know is the cemetary shows him as James Vento, died 10/03/1908 at age 23. I am going to try to write to the City of Poughkeepsie to see if they have a copy of his death certificate - hoping it lists his place of birth, etc.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”