UK resources

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hannie_grego

UK resources

Postby hannie_grego » 01 Feb 2009, 02:22

Hi all,

I've just stumbled across this amazing forum and wanted to say hello!

My name is Hannah Grego and I'm researching the past 100 or so years of my family's history - starting with my great grandparents, Ernesto Grego and Maria Assunta Grego (née Bastianelli) who were in Britain by the turn of the century. Reading through a lot of the old posts I can see some wonderful resources for tracking down ancestors in the States and Italy - but I was wondering if you could advise me where to look for UK resources? I know one of Ernesto's brothers died in the Arandora Star tragedy so I'm looking into that, but for more general information do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer me, I'm so glad I found this place!

Hannah

BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: UK resources

Postby BillieDeKid » 01 Feb 2009, 03:04

Hi Hannah and welcome to the forum. Here is a great link to use
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Go just below the large red letters and select your criteria and insert the surname. Don't use the search at the very top, it's an advertisement.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,
Elizabeth

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Feb 2009, 09:10

Dear Hanna try www.findmypast.com which is a paying website but you can pick up outward bound passengers at www.findmypast.com on name checks. The outward bound passenger lists go from 1890 to 1960. All other name checks equally helpful and free. =Peter=
~Peter~

daddymuzza
Veteran
Veteran

Postby daddymuzza » 01 Feb 2009, 14:09

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/resu ... =272626705

the above link should show you all Ernest Gregos family in the 1911 census

http://www.1911census.co.uk/

Using the standard search function, find the person you want and refine the search criteria to eliminate the others so that only that one person is on the page. You might do this by use of age, gender, year, county, district, etc.

Once you have found the person and they are the ONLY one shown on the page, look at the URL (the web page address, http://www. etc.,) and you will see that in the address is the word "results2" or "results4". Change the number to a 3 then hit enter to do the search again.

When the results are displayed, scroll to the bottom of the page and an address is shown. Now copy the address (including any errors) and go back to the "search" page. Remove EVERYTHING you had in previously, put a comma or dash in the surname box (it has to have something) and paste the address in to the RESIDENCE field and press "Search"

The search results should now include all residents of the house.
if yer no fast yer last !!!

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 01 Feb 2009, 17:36

Not to overlook the obvious the website www.scotsitalian.com/arandora.htm may be a useful site if you are unaware of its contents. =Peter=
~Peter~

hannie_grego

Postby hannie_grego » 03 Feb 2009, 15:41

Hi everyone - I just wanted to say thank you so much for your replies, so much brilliant information, I can't wait to get started now! It was really kind of you to respond to promptly to a complete newbie, I really appreciate it. I shall bury myself in some of these resources, and report back!

Thanks again, it's great to find such a friendly forum :)

Hannie x

Return to “Italian Genealogy”