I am trying to confirm my Great Grand Mother's DOB....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

I am trying to confirm my Great Grand Mother's DOB....

Postby TonyDiNobile » 05 Feb 2009, 01:59

Her name was Giovannina Di Nobile(Ciolfi)....Ellis Island records have her as being born in 1881....Recently when researching her burial record , I found a 1872 date listed....She has born in the town of Castropignano in the region of Abruzzo and immigrated to Cleveland , Ohio....She passed away in 1923....If anyone with access to records such as Census or Naturalization could help by finding her DOB I would Appreciate it....Thank You....

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: I am trying to confirm my Great Grand Mother's DOB.

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Feb 2009, 04:18

Since Castropignano (CB) civil records from 1809 to 1910 are both on micorfilm at your nearest Mormon Family History Library and her brith record obtained directly from her town of birth you might want verification by writing to the Uffico di Stato Civile in Castropignano (www.nonsolocap.it and click on name when it comes up for municipio address.

Go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/it ... tters.html

for form letters in Italian language should you decide to go that route. free of charge.=Peter=
~Peter~

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 05 Feb 2009, 05:20

I would agree with Peter on this one. Naturalization records or Census records are not primary sources. Anyone could have given the information to the Census taker which is one reason why births vary so much from one census to the next.

The only way to truly know her age is to write away for the Birth Act available from the Comune where she was born. It will also have her parents names, possible grandparents names, if they were alive or deceased at the time of birth, occupation and ages of parents. It will say when and at what time she was born and where she lived, who registered the birth (usually the father or mid wife) and the witness present at the registration.

Its definitely something you want.

The address for the Comune is:

Comune di Castropignano
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Marconi, 2
86010 Castropignano
ITALIA

Phone Number: (+39) 0874-503132;
Fax: (+39) 0874-503522
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 05 Feb 2009, 10:41

Hi Tony,

maybe her death certificate can help you when you'll request her birth act to the Castropignano comune:

In case you don't have, from the (free) site:

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... t.html#p=0

Here is:

Name: Jenie Noble
Death date: 15 March 1923
Death place: Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio
Birth date: 24 June 1882
Birth place: Italy
Age at death: 40 years 8 months 21 days
marital status: married
Street Address: 868 Wayside street
Burial date: 17 march 1923
Cemetery name: Lakeview
Spouse name: Giuseppe Noble or Dinoble
Father Name: Nunzio Ciolfi
Mother name: Maria Ciolfi

Image:
[img=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/9101/ohiodeaths1908195319922we1.th.jpg]

Hope this helps!
Laura

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 05 Feb 2009, 13:07

Thanks Laura! Good idea.. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

TonyDiNobile
Rookie
Rookie

Postby TonyDiNobile » 05 Feb 2009, 17:41

Thanks Everybody for your help ! :)....What has caused some confusion is that I recently went about trying to find her grave at Lake View Cemetery in Cleveland , Ohio....At first the employ there could not find any record of her....After a few spelling variation she found the information....However , that burial record indicated a DOB as being 6/24/1872 and not the 1881 date indicated in both her Ellis Island Ship Manifest and the 1920 Census....

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 05 Feb 2009, 21:42

I always make it a point to never completely trust (positive paranoia) anything verbally transmitted from one person to a document of another person. In genealogy that means either a record issued by the custodian having authorization for records or a ships manifest since documents are presented when the manifest is being prepared and counterchecked by Immigration at arriving end. Census records are highly questionable since people say whatever they want to a census taker who takes every thing said without question. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”