Ostensi or Ostenzi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jbutcher

Ostensi or Ostenzi

Postby jbutcher » 06 Feb 2009, 18:08

I have been trying to research this surname, Ostenzi/Ostensi with little luck. My great grandfather was Frank/Fransesco Ostenzi and lived in Michigan. I find little evidence of this surname from my research. It seemed probable that this was not the correct name and changed when immigrating. Today while googling the name I came up with another person with the same last name. It was at the site of the Arquivo Public Mineiro. His name was Angelo Ostensi -37 years , nationality Italian
Wife Elvira Ostensi - 30 years
with children Enrico - 7, Alberto - 5, and Luigi - 2. They were immigrating to Brazil, I am supposing.

What I am wondering is if there is anyone who can tell me if this is an actual name found in Italy or corrupted. It would seem that there should be a few more hits on the name than just a couple of people. Thanks for any input.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Ostensi or Ostenzi

Postby pink67 » 06 Feb 2009, 18:56

Hi Jbutcher,

I don't have an answer to your question but maybe I can give you a little clue...
I noticed that Francesco in 1880 census was living as a Boarder in a italian family (Pantera last name), with him there were other boardes, from a quick search on this site I found they were mostly Tuscany region's last names :wink:

http://www.gens.labo.net/

So i tried to search using a part of the last name (Oste) in this other site:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

and found out that it does exist these last names (not common):

Ostento / Ostenta

in Firenze, in Quarrata (Pistoia Province) and Rosignano Marittimo (Livorno Province)

and

Ortenzi

mostly present in the central regions of Italy (Lazio, Marche, Umbria)

Perhaps this could have been the real spell...

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”