Brick Wall #2

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
zona1
Rookie
Rookie

Brick Wall #2

Postby zona1 » 08 Feb 2009, 13:01

I'm looking for suggestions of where to look next for this brick wall:

Where might I look for an italian immigrant who changed his name when he was in America? The birth certificate of one of my relatives indicates that he is Italian and a stone mason and gives an age. His name is given as a very Americanized "John Smith" type name. I want to find out his real name if I can. I've tried any number of avenues but have gotten nowhere. Any suggestions?

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Brick Wall #2

Postby PeterTimber » 08 Feb 2009, 14:34

Dear Zona 1 the first thing that crossed my mind is by your not telling us what research avenues you already checked all we are going to do is duplicate your efforts until we finally get to the point where perhaps we can start researching in hiose areas that you did not research!!!!

Having names and dates would also help so that we can start fresh and direct yourefforts and ours jointly .=Hope to hear from you =Peter=
~Peter~

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Postby johnnyonthespot » 08 Feb 2009, 14:55

zona1 wrote:I'm looking for suggestions of where to look next for this brick wall:

Where might I look for an italian immigrant who changed his name when he was in America? The birth certificate of one of my relatives indicates that he is Italian and a stone mason and gives an age. His name is given as a very Americanized "John Smith" type name. I want to find out his real name if I can. I've tried any number of avenues but have gotten nowhere. Any suggestions?

Naturalization papers will typically lst the birth name, place, and date of birth, as well as the "Americanized" name by which the petitioner is known at the time of naturalization. Might be a good avenue of research...

zona1
Rookie
Rookie

Postby zona1 » 09 Feb 2009, 21:43

The man used the name Frank Miller but birth certificates listing him as father indicate he was a stone mason from Italy, age 33 in 1909. The only Federal Census he appears to be in is 1910 and he is listed as an alien. That was for Glens Falls NY (Warren County). He seems to have disappeared after that. There is no marriage record or divorce record or death record for him under thay Americanized name. Perhaps he went back to Italy or changed his name again.

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Postby wldspirit » 09 Feb 2009, 21:48

Was the child baptized after his/her birth? Long shot, but maybe the church records would have some further clue.

Chances are the name was Francesco, nickname Frank, but the last name could be anything.....

What was the wife's name?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Postby PeterTimber » 09 Feb 2009, 22:04

There are 3056 FRANK MILLER listed in the social security death index and I backtracked from 1909 to his birth year of 1886 and the first one I ran across died in December 1973 in Littleton, Grafton New Hampshire...... but there are several more thousands to review in order to find out if there are any others born in 1886 to meet the cirteria of he being 33 in 1909. Can you shed more light on his background?? Does Littleton/Grafton New Hampshire relate in some way to your Frank Miller?

If not you might want to go to www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm and make a request on line using the "eForm" but they may charge you a fee or not. After they review your request they will let you know if there is a fee but if there is a fee it cannot be paid for on line...

If I were you I might ask them for the number of persons named Frank Miller who were born in 1886 just to see how many you have to deal with and then get back to me so that I can see if I can send you the website that I use which is free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~

Return to “Italian Genealogy”